Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

common core

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2014 at 8:33 PM
  • 7 Replies
Ok, I havent had time to look into this sort of method, but our charter uses it. They keep on sending information about it and I havent read or watch anything yet. Jus because their school uses it wont change how we homeschool. I would like to know anyways. Does anyone have any credible information on this method? Maybe a simple.breakdown that just lists facts? And, does anyone herr have an opinion they.would like to share? :)
by on Feb. 10, 2014 at 8:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 8:42 PM
My opinion is I don't like it and won't use it. I'll have to come back for creditable facts.
Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 9:01 PM

Common Core is what the public school system is using as it's basics of education in most states now.  It lists what children should know by certain times in their school career and it has other things that I can't think of off the top of my head.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 9:24 PM

I keep hearing terrible things about it. But to be honest, I'm really sure why it's bad.

Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 8:17 AM

it really can't be explained in a bullet point list, unless you want to read from teh common core website and beleive what they are telling you.

I'd highly recommend reading this entire article to get an idea of why it's not good education practice and why it is so steeped in political controversey:

http://www.alternet.org/education/somethings-rotten-about-common-core?paging=off&current_page=1#bookmark

TidewaterClan
by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 9:21 AM

I looked through Ohio's Common Core requirements for my girls' grades and they're honestly not very exciting.  This is the top of the 3rd grade math requirements:

Mathematics | Grade 3

In Grade 3, instructional time should focus on four critical areas: (1)

developing understanding of multiplication and division and strategies

for multiplication and division within 100; (2) developing understanding

of fractions, especially unit fractions (fractions with numerator 1); (3)

developing understanding of the structure of rectangular arrays and of

area; and (4) describing and analyzing two-dimensional shapes.

(1) Students develop an understanding of the meanings of multiplication

and division of whole numbers through activities and problems involving

equal-sized groups, arrays, and area models; multiplication is finding

an unknown product, and division is finding an unknown factor in these

situations. For equal-sized group situations, division can require finding

the unknown number of groups or the unknown group size. Students use

properties of operations to calculate products of whole numbers, using

increasingly sophisticated strategies based on these properties to solve

multiplication and division problems involving single-digit factors. By

comparing a variety of solution strategies, students learn the relationship 

between multiplication and division.

Most of our books are secular, and a lot are cc complaint by default.  I haven't found anything controversial in any of them.  I talked to folks from the publishers, and they all said they didn't change many things to become cc compliant.

I think the real issue is it's being forced on schools as a one-size fits all approach and teachers aren't allowed to teach outside of the box anymore.

tansyflower
by Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 9:37 AM

i think the issue with common core is about how its being pushed into schools and the repercussions of it.  for instance:  my sister is an art teacher for 2 elementary schools.  they teach common core.  each student sees her once every 6 school days for 45 minutes.  in that 45 minutes she has to teach a lesson plan, get supplies ready, have the students do the project, clean them up and they are done.  that's a lot to do in 45 minutes right?  well now add in a special "reading initiative" and it gets even worse.  now once per month she HAS to take a period with each class of children and spend half of it teaching reading comprehension.  so not only does she have less than 20 minutes to complete and entire art project, but she also has to read a book and go through comprehension questions with her students...in less than 20 minutes.  because of the lack of time and how little she sees each student, they never really learn additional comprehension skills and it interferes with the very little art time a student gets. 

but the schools have taken an hard stance on all students knowing x, y and z by a certain time frame and they dont care if students are struggling with all of the new curriculum.   so it puts pressure on teachers, the students and makes for a rushed learning environment.  i cant tell you how many teachers are just miserable trying to teach this way.....my sister being one of them.

AllThatBabyJazz
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 9:51 AM
1 mom liked this

I personally do not care for it. All children are not created equal. Kids have different learning styles and levels. I do not need a goverment standard to properly educate my child. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)