Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

would it be bad of me too.....

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 8:12 AM
  • 10 Replies

So I was thinking last night about maybe just stoping all curriculium besides math, reading and a little english and spelling but focus more on the math and reading until we decide to take a break for summer.

Would that be bad of me, as a mom/"teacher"?

Im in the process of finding us some put together curriculium so that maybe it will be easier on all of us if im not having to search and search for just the right stuff. I plan on having a put together curriculium for when we start back up after we take off for a summer break..

Whats your ladies thoughts on this...

btw in our state (Ar) we dont have basicly any rules as far as hours or anything besides taking the end of year benchmark which doesnt count against or toward them just basicly for they are not counted turaunt..

by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 8:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jen2150
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 8:18 AM
Not at all. You will still be learning a ton of information. I suggest adding in some math projects. They will learn a ton. Have a great time!
jen2150
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 8:18 AM
Not at all. You will still be learning a ton of information. I suggest adding in some math projects. They will learn a ton. Have a great time!
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 8:28 AM

No, not at all.  Get your feet under you!  And you are making progress anyway.

bldjrs123
by Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 8:34 AM

Thanks... it seems like im online alot but i got to thinking everything i ever look at online anymore has to do with hs lol... so yes im still learning tons and tons. There is so much out there that the more i learn and find the more confused and stuff i get lol.... 

Math projects??  are you talking like games? if not could you give me some examples... we are working mostly on multiplication and division and i will usually throw in some area or perimeter or adding and subtraction in just to keep that stuff fresh to them..

Quoting jen2150: Not at all. You will still be learning a ton of information. I suggest adding in some math projects. They will learn a ton. Have a great time!

bldjrs123
by Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 8:42 AM

thanks... yea i can see the progress we are making threw the yr so far.. I think my main concern is that the ex or some of the family or even others may see that im not working with them with all subjects and think we are slacking....

I have main goals in mind and i hope i can get to them in the end.

with my son. he will be 13 next week and reads on about early 2nd grade level and is about 3-4th grade math level and about the same with everything else as long as we help him read it.

main long term goals for him... be able to add, subtract, multi, divide, understand and use money right... be able to read and write atleast enough that he will be able to make it in the "real" world

my daughter will be 10 next month and my main goal for her is to have her keep advancing like she always has... she is reading and spelling about 5-6 grade level and is anywhere from late 4th grade level to early 5th grade level everthing else..

do these main goals sound like a plan lol

Quoting bluerooffarm:

jen2150
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 9:13 AM
we made multiplication and division houses. Basically your make a house use flaps for windows and put the answers under the flaps. You would do a X5 house. We also did a wanted picture for the number 6. Under the identification part you would write facts about the number 6. My son wants to do a pyramid using cotton swabs and rubber cement. I have a few books that I love. One is one called Math Art. The other is called Amazing Math Projects. There is another called Math poetry which is ideas about combining math and writing.

Quoting bldjrs123:

Thanks... it seems like im online alot but i got to thinking everything i ever look at online anymore has to do with hs lol... so yes im still learning tons and tons. There is so much out there that the more i learn and find the more confused and stuff i get lol.... 

Math projects??  are you talking like games? if not could you give me some examples... we are working mostly on multiplication and division and i will usually throw in some area or perimeter or adding and subtraction in just to keep that stuff fresh to them..

Quoting jen2150: Not at all. You will still be learning a ton of information. I suggest adding in some math projects. They will learn a ton. Have a great time!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 10:01 AM

Yes, they sound like a good plan.  There are times to play catch up with just math and language arts.  With just thosse 2 subjects everything else can fall into place.  Science is just reading and math, history is mostly reading and some math.  If you read and know how to use math, you can live in the world.  

Also remember that putting science, history, art and music on the shelf for the remainder of the year does not mean you are putting it away forever.  Is the ex against homeschooling?  Does he understand that your son is behind and your daughter is advanced?  If you show that you are making progress, will he understand that you are doing what is best for your kids?

Quoting bldjrs123:

thanks... yea i can see the progress we are making threw the yr so far.. I think my main concern is that the ex or some of the family or even others may see that im not working with them with all subjects and think we are slacking....

with my son. he will be 13 next week and reads on about early 2nd grade level and is about 3-4th grade math level and about the same with everything else as long as we help him read it.

main long term goals for him... be able to add, subtract, multi, divide, understand and use money right... be able to read and write atleast enough that he will be able to make it in the "real" world

my daughter will be 10 next month and my main goal for her is to have her keep advancing like she always has... she is reading and spelling about 5-6 grade level and is anywhere from late 4th grade level to early 5th grade level everthing else..

Quoting bluerooffarm:

bldjrs123
by Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 10:19 AM

Thanks... He is ok with the homeschooling and really hasnt had much to say about what we do and he knows how behind son is and how advanced daughter is... I think its mostly me be a worry wart kinda lol... im always 2nd guessing myself when it comes to the homeschooling stuff

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Yes, they sound like a good plan.  There are times to play catch up with just math and language arts.  With just thosse 2 subjects everything else can fall into place.  Science is just reading and math, history is mostly reading and some math.  If you read and know how to use math, you can live in the world.  

Also remember that putting science, history, art and music on the shelf for the remainder of the year does not mean you are putting it away forever.  Is the ex against homeschooling?  Does he understand that your son is behind and your daughter is advanced?  If you show that you are making progress, will he understand that you are doing what is best for your kids?

Quoting bldjrs123:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 11:58 AM
1 mom liked this

I would say relax and enjoy, but from one worry-wart to another, I know it's easier said than done!  :-)

Quoting bldjrs123:

Thanks... He is ok with the homeschooling and really hasnt had much to say about what we do and he knows how behind son is and how advanced daughter is... I think its mostly me be a worry wart kinda lol... im always 2nd guessing myself when it comes to the homeschooling stuff

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting bldjrs123:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 11, 2014 at 3:41 PM

I think you will find them learning things you never thought about if you do it that way!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN