Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Timed math drills....

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 12:06 PM
  • 36 Replies
1 mom liked this

I don't want to start an argument, and I know how many of you are against math drills and that is okay!  In fact, I hate drilling math.  BUT.... Supposedly a third grader (by the end of the year) should be able to do 30 multiplication problems in a minute.  My son can only do about 40 in 5 minutes (so 8 a minute roughly).  Now, when they are not on a sheet of paper or when they are part of a bigger problem, he can do math mentally and pretty quickly.  

Last year our evaluator gave him a short, timed math test and I have a feeling she will do so again this year.  I want him to be ready because timed-tests make him cry.

Anyway, we are beginning to work on drills a bit at a time.  Does anyone have any cool game websites that we can use?  

UPDATE:  We have been practicing these timed drills for a week now.  He has moved from getting 22 problems in 5 minutes to (this morning) exactly double! He did 44 correct in 5 minutes!  YAY!

Plus we found a few helpful games:

At sheppherdsoftware.com we found a game called pop up multiplication which you can choose exactly the facts you are having problems with (in Zave's case the 7's and 8's):  http://sheppardsoftware.com/mathgames/popup/popup_multiplication.htm

and we found germs multiplication and germs math mashup that are both pretty fun!

http://k12.http.internapcdn.net/k12_vitalstream_com/CURRICULUM/316351/CURRENT_RELEASE/CompFluencyMultiplication.html

And

http://k12.http.internapcdn.net/k12_vitalstream_com/CURRICULUM/381894/CURRENT_RELEASE/Comp_Fluency_xGerms.html

by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 12:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
irvinehiker
by Andrea on Feb. 11, 2014 at 2:05 PM
1 mom liked this
I cant link bc I'm mobile, but check out Shepherds software.com. They have some cool games. I think one of the games is more for mastery and the other for speed.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 2:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting irvinehiker: I cant link bc I'm mobile, but check out Shepherds software.com. They have some cool games. I think one of the games is more for mastery and the other for speed.

Thanks!  There are a lot of good ones on there!  Woot!

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Feb. 11, 2014 at 2:32 PM
Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting irvinehiker: I cant link bc I'm mobile, but check out Shepherds software.com. They have some cool games. I think one of the games is more for mastery and the other for speed.

There are a TON of resources there! I only remember 2 multiplication games though. I love the geography and map stuff. Sometimes I find myself playing the games to refresh my world geography lol.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 3:05 PM

Quoting irvinehiker:
Quoting bluerooffarm:

There are a TON of resources there! I only remember 2 multiplication games though. I love the geography and map stuff. Sometimes I find myself playing the games to refresh my world geography lol.

I wish I had had this website in my arsenal before my oldest took his Europe test.  There are some great geography games on there too!  

tansyflower
by Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 3:19 PM
1 mom liked this

i wish i could help!  timed math drills literally killed my spirit as a child.  hopefully someone can link you info on a fun way to do it.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 3:27 PM

Quoting tansyflower:

i wish i could help!  timed math drills literally killed my spirit as a child.  hopefully someone can link you info on a fun way to do it.

Yeah, i'd rather never do them, but if I can make them fun, then it won't be so bad.

Thanks for the bump!

jen2150
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 4:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Maybe you could make it into a game. Possible like a race. Tell him timed tests are like races. Each time you practice running a race you try and beat your old score. Many times kids think we expect certain things out of them which puts a lot of pressure on them. Help him to see it is not finishing by a certain score but making improvement each time. You could lay out math questions and have run to each one. Every time you take the race you try and beat your old score. Tell him he is doing math race on paper. Don't call it a test. It is probably the pressure he is putting on himself. My youngest had trouble with the CAT test because he thought if he didn't score high enough he would have to go to school. He still gets nervous a little but he handles it much better. He is learning not to put unnecessary pressure on himself. I hope you find something that works. Also try and verbally compliment his hard work over outcome. I started doing that with my sons and it helped immensely.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 4:33 PM

He had issues with our state test too, until I told him I would never make him go back to a public school if he didn't want to and we would fight anybody who said he had to.  So maybe it is about the pressure.  Thanks.  We'll try some of your suggestions.

I just headed for games online first because that was how I got him faster at his addition facts a couple years ago.

Quoting jen2150: Maybe you could make it into a game. Possible like a race. Tell him timed tests are like races. Each time you practice running a race you try and beat your old score. Many times kids think we expect certain things out of them which puts a lot of pressure on them. Help him to see it is not finishing by a certain score but making improvement each time. You could lay out math questions and have run to each one. Every time you take the race you try and beat your old score. Tell him he is doing math race on paper. Don't call it a test. It is probably the pressure he is putting on himself. My youngest had trouble with the CAT test because he thought if he didn't score high enough he would have to go to school. He still gets nervous a little but he handles it much better. He is learning not to put unnecessary pressure on himself. I hope you find something that works. Also try and verbally compliment his hard work over outcome. I started doing that with my sons and it helped immensely.

jwhit8791
by Jessica on Feb. 12, 2014 at 1:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Just marking so I can check this out later......Evan also freaks about timed drills and flashcards so practicing is hard on us.  LOL

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 1:27 PM

Cole and I have just started math *drills*. As in, I give him 3 worksheets with 40 total and he does them in about 5 minutes. I give him the same 3 sheets everyday for a week. The first day he got a 77%, yesterday an 87% and today he only missed one. He is also getting faster. Cole doesn't respond, er, well to timing yet so I haven't went there with him, but I keep an eye on the time. He is getting faster.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)