Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I don't want to start an argument, and I know how many of you are against math drills and that is okay!  In fact, I hate drilling math.  BUT.... Supposedly a third grader (by the end of the year) should be able to do 30 multiplication problems in a minute.  My son can only do about 40 in 5 minutes (so 8 a minute roughly).  Now, when they are not on a sheet of paper or when they are part of a bigger problem, he can do math mentally and pretty quickly.  

Last year our evaluator gave him a short, timed math test and I have a feeling she will do so again this year.  I want him to be ready because timed-tests make him cry.

Anyway, we are beginning to work on drills a bit at a time.  Does anyone have any cool game websites that we can use?  

UPDATE:  We have been practicing these timed drills for a week now.  He has moved from getting 22 problems in 5 minutes to (this morning) exactly double! He did 44 correct in 5 minutes!  YAY!

Plus we found a few helpful games:

At sheppherdsoftware.com we found a game called pop up multiplication which you can choose exactly the facts you are having problems with (in Zave's case the 7's and 8's):  http://sheppardsoftware.com/mathgames/popup/popup_multiplication.htm

and we found germs multiplication and germs math mashup that are both pretty fun!

http://k12.http.internapcdn.net/k12_vitalstream_com/CURRICULUM/316351/CURRENT_RELEASE/CompFluencyMultiplication.html

And

http://k12.http.internapcdn.net/k12_vitalstream_com/CURRICULUM/381894/CURRENT_RELEASE/Comp_Fluency_xGerms.html

by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 12:06 PM
Replies (11-20):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 1:28 PM

Oh, look up Math Munchers

It's an old game ie: I played in ClarisWorks (sp?) as a kid. LOL But it's fun and still around.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 1:33 PM

Quoting mem82:

Cole and I have just started math *drills*. As in, I give him 3 worksheets with 40 total and he does them in about 5 minutes. I give him the same 3 sheets everyday for a week. The first day he got a 77%, yesterday an 87% and today he only missed one. He is also getting faster. Cole doesn't respond, er, well to timing yet so I haven't went there with him, but I keep an eye on the time. He is getting faster.

We did this too and Zave got better but not faster.  He rarely misses them at this point, but he takes his sweet time on them!  LOL

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 1:33 PM

Quoting mem82:

Oh, look up Math Munchers

It's an old game ie: I played in ClarisWorks (sp?) as a kid. LOL But it's fun and still around.

Oh!  Thanks!

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Feb. 12, 2014 at 10:33 PM
1 mom liked this

We just started doing math drills. My kids love them. They like competing with themselves to see how they improve each day. I dont have any good websites for you though

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Feb. 13, 2014 at 12:14 AM
1 mom liked this

Times drills can be fun, we started by taking the 'timer' out of the equation. Just getting used to spouting facts. We used a deck of playing cards and played Math War. The kids would each flip a card and the first to multiply them together got the hand....the one with the most hands at the end won. 

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting tansyflower:

i wish i could help!  timed math drills literally killed my spirit as a child.  hopefully someone can link you info on a fun way to do it.

Yeah, i'd rather never do them, but if I can make them fun, then it won't be so bad.

Thanks for the bump!

TidewaterClan
by on Feb. 13, 2014 at 9:40 AM

Now that little dd has some multiplication under her belt we're going to start doing math jeopardy on Fridays.  My algebra teacher in middle school did that, and we always loved it.  I have these:

which are loud and annoying for the "buzzer."  We'll start small and work up.  It will be good practice for older dd too.

Our school district has "moodle" off their website.  It has tons of online games for math and other things.  

Mathisfun.com is a great website that we like to use. 

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2014 at 10:06 AM

That's a good idea!  Do you think I could have one trying to multiply and the other trying to add them?  Mine are 2 years apart.

Quoting KickButtMama:

Times drills can be fun, we started by taking the 'timer' out of the equation. Just getting used to spouting facts. We used a deck of playing cards and played Math War. The kids would each flip a card and the first to multiply them together got the hand....the one with the most hands at the end won. 

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting tansyflower:

i wish i could help!  timed math drills literally killed my spirit as a child.  hopefully someone can link you info on a fun way to do it.

Yeah, i'd rather never do them, but if I can make them fun, then it won't be so bad.

Thanks for the bump!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2014 at 10:09 AM

Not to make you jealous or anything ;-), but back when I was teaching my hubby made me a jeopardy set for in my classroom.  It buzzes and lights up the one that buzzed in first!

Thanks for the idea, we'll have to pull those out of the closet for math time.  We've been playing history bowl once a month with them.  They'll work well for Math too.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Now that little dd has some multiplication under her belt we're going to start doing math jeopardy on Fridays.  My algebra teacher in middle school did that, and we always loved it.  I have these:

which are loud and annoying for the "buzzer."  We'll start small and work up.  It will be good practice for older dd too.

Our school district has "moodle" off their website.  It has tons of online games for math and other things.  

Mathisfun.com is a great website that we like to use. 

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2014 at 11:24 AM
1 mom liked this

Here's a bump since I'm interested in teh responses, too. 8)

MunchiesMom324
by on Feb. 13, 2014 at 11:28 AM
1 mom liked this
Thanks!

Quoting irvinehiker: I cant link bc I'm mobile, but check out Shepherds software.com. They have some cool games. I think one of the games is more for mastery and the other for speed.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)