Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I don't want to start an argument, and I know how many of you are against math drills and that is okay!  In fact, I hate drilling math.  BUT.... Supposedly a third grader (by the end of the year) should be able to do 30 multiplication problems in a minute.  My son can only do about 40 in 5 minutes (so 8 a minute roughly).  Now, when they are not on a sheet of paper or when they are part of a bigger problem, he can do math mentally and pretty quickly.  

Last year our evaluator gave him a short, timed math test and I have a feeling she will do so again this year.  I want him to be ready because timed-tests make him cry.

Anyway, we are beginning to work on drills a bit at a time.  Does anyone have any cool game websites that we can use?  

UPDATE:  We have been practicing these timed drills for a week now.  He has moved from getting 22 problems in 5 minutes to (this morning) exactly double! He did 44 correct in 5 minutes!  YAY!

Plus we found a few helpful games:

At sheppherdsoftware.com we found a game called pop up multiplication which you can choose exactly the facts you are having problems with (in Zave's case the 7's and 8's):  http://sheppardsoftware.com/mathgames/popup/popup_multiplication.htm

and we found germs multiplication and germs math mashup that are both pretty fun!

http://k12.http.internapcdn.net/k12_vitalstream_com/CURRICULUM/316351/CURRENT_RELEASE/CompFluencyMultiplication.html

And

http://k12.http.internapcdn.net/k12_vitalstream_com/CURRICULUM/381894/CURRENT_RELEASE/Comp_Fluency_xGerms.html

by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 12:06 PM
Replies (21-30):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Feb. 13, 2014 at 12:44 PM

Yes...we've done this game for most maths - exponents, addition, subtraction, division, multiplication, we even did it for place values so the number meant how many zero's there were. Face cards equal 10, ace equals 1. 

Quoting bluerooffarm:

That's a good idea!  Do you think I could have one trying to multiply and the other trying to add them?  Mine are 2 years apart.

Quoting KickButtMama:

Times drills can be fun, we started by taking the 'timer' out of the equation. Just getting used to spouting facts. We used a deck of playing cards and played Math War. The kids would each flip a card and the first to multiply them together got the hand....the one with the most hands at the end won. 

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting tansyflower:

i wish i could help!  timed math drills literally killed my spirit as a child.  hopefully someone can link you info on a fun way to do it.

Yeah, i'd rather never do them, but if I can make them fun, then it won't be so bad.

Thanks for the bump!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2014 at 12:45 PM

We are going to play this afternoon!  Thanks for the idea!

Quoting KickButtMama:

Yes...we've done this game for most maths - exponents, addition, subtraction, division, multiplication, we even did it for place values so the number meant how many zero's there were. Face cards equal 10, ace equals 1. 

Quoting bluerooffarm:

That's a good idea!  Do you think I could have one trying to multiply and the other trying to add them?  Mine are 2 years apart.

Quoting KickButtMama:

Times drills can be fun, we started by taking the 'timer' out of the equation. Just getting used to spouting facts. We used a deck of playing cards and played Math War. The kids would each flip a card and the first to multiply them together got the hand....the one with the most hands at the end won. 

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting tansyflower:

i wish i could help!  timed math drills literally killed my spirit as a child.  hopefully someone can link you info on a fun way to do it.

Yeah, i'd rather never do them, but if I can make them fun, then it won't be so bad.

Thanks for the bump!

TidewaterClan
by on Feb. 13, 2014 at 1:03 PM

Fancy!  Is your dh and Electrical Engineer?  It sounds like he can do some pretty swell things.   

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Not to make you jealous or anything ;-), but back when I was teaching my hubby made me a jeopardy set for in my classroom.  It buzzes and lights up the one that buzzed in first!

Thanks for the idea, we'll have to pull those out of the closet for math time.  We've been playing history bowl once a month with them.  They'll work well for Math too.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Now that little dd has some multiplication under her belt we're going to start doing math jeopardy on Fridays.  My algebra teacher in middle school did that, and we always loved it.  I have these: 

which are loud and annoying for the "buzzer."  We'll start small and work up.  It will be good practice for older dd too.

Our school district has "moodle" off their website.  It has tons of online games for math and other things.  

Mathisfun.com is a great website that we like to use. 

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2014 at 1:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, yes he is!  I was surprised you could tell that.  :-)

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Fancy!  Is your dh and Electrical Engineer?  It sounds like he can do some pretty swell things.   

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Not to make you jealous or anything ;-), but back when I was teaching my hubby made me a jeopardy set for in my classroom.  It buzzes and lights up the one that buzzed in first!

Thanks for the idea, we'll have to pull those out of the closet for math time.  We've been playing history bowl once a month with them.  They'll work well for Math too.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Now that little dd has some multiplication under her belt we're going to start doing math jeopardy on Fridays.  My algebra teacher in middle school did that, and we always loved it.  I have these: 

which are loud and annoying for the "buzzer."  We'll start small and work up.  It will be good practice for older dd too.

Our school district has "moodle" off their website.  It has tons of online games for math and other things.  

TidewaterClan
by on Feb. 13, 2014 at 1:25 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL, dh and I are both computer programmers, but one of our super good friends is an EE.  He's 'invented' some pretty cool things and it sounded similar to what you've said your dh does. :)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Yes, yes he is!  I was surprised you could tell that.  :-)

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Lottie925
by New Member on Feb. 13, 2014 at 3:23 PM

I do not actually homeschool, I just joined this board for ideas to enhance my children's PS experience at home.

I used to think that the math drills (ours does rocket math and DD is only in 1st, so addition and subtration) were crazy. They base the goals first on writing speed, so a lot of the kids start out needing to do 15-25 in 1 minute. Every time that supass that, the goal gets raised, by the end of the year most are at a goal of 40. So I assume, unless your son has issues with his grip, or muscle tone (which can be somewhat common) 40 is reasonable with practice. Facts are supposed to be known automatically. 

Here is a link to a website that has all of the rocket math worksheets (they call it spaceship here but it's the same as DD's)

Link to DadsWorksheets

And here is a link to how the goals are set:

Teachers directions to rocket math

JKronrod
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:33 AM

Poor kid.  I don't have cool game websites, but I use "Math Facts Cafe" to generate worksheets for this sort of thing (and I think they have online flashcards, too).  But you know that I'm a believer in being able to do pen-and-paper math facts fast just to make things easier when the student  gets into more complicated stuff....:-)   I have to tell you that I find it different to actually WRITE fast than to just say the number -- I think it's why my son always says the fact out loud (or under his breath) when he can't remember the fact.  If you want to really make sure he'll be comfortable for this evaluation (assuming it's written), you might want to have the worksheets as part of a physical game, rather than doing it in an online game. 

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 10:46 AM

Quoting JKronrod:

Poor kid.  I don't have cool game websites, but I use "Math Facts Cafe" to generate worksheets for this sort of thing (and I think they have online flashcards, too).  But you know that I'm a believer in being able to do pen-and-paper math facts fast just to make things easier when the student  gets into more complicated stuff....:-)   I have to tell you that I find it different to actually WRITE fast than to just say the number -- I think it's why my son always says the fact out loud (or under his breath) when he can't remember the fact.  If you want to really make sure he'll be comfortable for this evaluation (assuming it's written), you might want to have the worksheets as part of a physical game, rather than doing it in an online game. 

That's a very good point.  I hadn't thought about that, so I made him do flashcards and he got a MUCH higher number out loud than he did written!  Thank you!

JKronrod
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 1:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Yep.  Sometimes, especially for boys, there seems to be a delay or slight disconnect between the hand and the brain.  It's almost as if focus on the writing distracts them from the computation and slows them down.  Since so much of more advanced computation is done pen-and-paper -- even if you use calculators for part of it -- and needs to be done FAST, I insist on physical practice.  Small muscle coordination -- gotta love it.

For our seven-year-old we call it "Math Races," and he sees if he can improve by a certain number each day -- either using a count up timer (how long will it take you to do X problems -- can you be faster tomorrow) or a count down timer (can you get 50 problems done in five minutes or whatever).  He takes great delight in beating the clock and showing his father how fast he is getting.  Sometimes just that change in attitude (this is a race not a test) makes a huge difference in how they approach the evaluation.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting JKronrod:

That's a very good point.  I hadn't thought about that, so I made him do flashcards and he got a MUCH higher number out loud than he did written!  Thank you!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 6:27 PM

We have been practicing these timed drills for a week now.  He has moved from getting 22 problems in 5 minutes to (this morning) exactly double! He did 44 correct in 5 minutes!  YAY!

Plus we found a few helpful games:

At sheppherdsoftware.com we found a game called pop up multiplication which you can choose exactly the facts you are having problems with (in Zave's case the 7's and 8's):  http://sheppardsoftware.com/mathgames/popup/popup_multiplication.htm

and we found germs multiplication and germs math mashup that are both pretty fun!

http://k12.http.internapcdn.net/k12_vitalstream_com/CURRICULUM/316351/CURRENT_RELEASE/CompFluencyMultiplication.html

And

http://k12.http.internapcdn.net/k12_vitalstream_com/CURRICULUM/381894/CURRENT_RELEASE/Comp_Fluency_xGerms.html

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN