Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

sounding words out??

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 4:29 PM
  • 2 Replies

ok so ive said before that my son is well will be 13 next week and is reading on a low 2nd grade level... He has always been behind in this and the schools never really helped so there for one of the many reasons we decided to start hs.. Well ive been putting out work together this yr and in different post asked about maybe just doing math and reading and a little english until we take a small break for summer in a few months.. But my problem is... He has the hardest time with trying to sound words out. Its like he knows some sounds of letters and some he dont or does them wrong. which in turn makes it hard for him to sound any words out.

So do any of you ladies have any thoughts or ideas on how to help him grasp this reading thing better... I think if he could get more reading down he would be able to excell better in other areas and would have a lot better self esteem..

My almost 10yr old daughter is great at reading and is more on the 5th grade level or so....

I need help getting him to read better asap!!!

by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 4:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 4:41 PM
I love All about spelling!!! It teaches how to sound out! Check out their free app for letter sounds.
romacox
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 5:20 PM

Absolutely.  Along with my home school experience, I am a tutor specializing in helping children with their reading.  My success rate has been so successful that I now give workshops at the University Of North Florida teaching future teachers how to help children who are struggling with their reading.

The following does not effect all children. But the number one cause of children having trouble blending the sounds to form words is explained in the following video.  More than likely this will solve your son's problem, and it is easily solved.   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN