Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

trying to fig out curriculum for the fall...

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 9:06 PM
  • 5 Replies

Ok i know i have been asking lots and lots of question lately lol... Just trying to get this all figured out and on a decent path... 

So this is what i have come up with so far...  (4-5th grade)

For when we start back after a little summer break in a few month... right now its just math reading and spelling for the most part

For math...  We are going to try Math u see... either starting with gamma or delta depending on how well they get the multi/divison down by then

for science we are going to be trying .... the lab of Mr. Q

for history... we are going to finish up maps before summer then start states, region and etc... But i need to find a history type curric also for when we finish the states and etc...

for reading... well IDK yet... i was thinking just a reading compostion type work book and then have them read certain books and do essays over them or questions

for spelling... basicly just spelling words like we have been

for language art... I have no clue i need to find a curric for that... One thats not going to cost arm and leg lol...

I believe that is all that i need to find for the fall....

Do you ladies have any suggestions??? 

by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 9:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 10:14 PM

Language Arts encompasses grammar, writing, spelling, and phonics/reading.

For grammar, I recommend Seton English - it's affordable and rigorous.

For literature, have you looked at Mosdos? It is pricey, but it's good. Otherwise I would suggest Memoria Press' study guides (buy a grade down, unless your child is a very advanced reader/writer).

For writing, I'm a huge fan of IEW (Institute for Excellence in Writing) - their Student Writing Intensives to be specific.

For history, it's going to largely depend on your faith preferences. I preference Catholic materials, so those will be my recs - I can't/won't recommend a protestant program, so I'm hoping someone else will chime in for that. Story of the World is great, but was never meant to be started at this late an age (it's meant for volume 1 to be used in first or second, volume to in second or third, and so on).

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Feb. 12, 2014 at 10:20 PM

For Language Arts I'm using Christian Light Education. We just started and so far I'm really happy with it

bldjrs123
by Member on Feb. 13, 2014 at 6:24 AM

Thanks ladies I will look into some of those that ive never heard of... And alot of the problem with some of the history stuff is that its religious based and Im looking for something thats not so much that..

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2014 at 9:09 AM

For History, There is Story of the World or Pandia Press has History Odyssey and I think both have a reading list of extra books to read. (What I should've done with that in the past is had the books on that list be our reading curriculum...) History Odyssey in the first cycle through uses Story of the World, but something else for the second cycle through.

I've used Mosdos for reading, and it's quite comprehensive, but it didn't work so well for us... (also it IS pricey) You get vocab and comprehension worksheets and graphic organizers (which for us have been a waste), and then you get comprehension and vocab tests. The stories are relatively short, and we did a story a week. The problem we found with it, it didn't relate to anything else we were going over, and so the connection just wasn't there. It was dry, and some of the questions and activities are clearly meant for a classroom setting and we couldn't do many of the fun activites well since it called for groups. For next year we decided to drop it....

This next year, I'm making my own history with Timemaps.com and compiling a reading list of different books at my daughter's reading level to be our reading/literature, (She'll be in 5th grade) and then having her write book reports on at least 2 of the books per era/subject throughout history we go over. The book reports will be graded:

Content: 5 paragraphs (50 point)
            1st paragraph: Author, Setting, Time..................................................... 10 points
            2nd paragraph: description of Main Characters.................................... 10 points
            3rd paragraph: Plot (problem/solution faced by characters)............... 10 points
            4th paragraph: Theme (underlying idea & subject/lesson learned)... 10 points
            5th paragraph: Opinion/Recommendation (and reason for choice).. 10 points

Mechanics (30 points)
            Spelling..................................................................................................... 10 points
            Punctuation.............................................................................................. 10 points
            Grammar/Usage...................................................................................... 10 points

Form (20 points)
            Legible (How easy the report is to read and understand).................. 10 points
            Neatness.................................................................................................. 10 points

Total:   100 points

That way it goes over literature and grammar. We use Write Shop Jr for writing, which that goes over grammar too. She makes folders for the different parts of speach and editing, which she uses for all the different writing assignments we do. It is a bit more parent/teacher hands on, but its got a ton some fun activities, and usually some sort of game with each new lesson.

lovelylady83
by Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 12:09 AM

For LA my recommendation is the SL 4/5 Readers with the readers Guide I am pretty sure all with the exception of 1 are secular.  I used both the 3rd and 4/5 with my daughter skipping the Christain ones.  

I use All About Spelling but Modern Curriulum Press has an affordable program too. 

Wordly Wise Vocabulary.  

Exercises In English for Grammar. 5th-8th (First Language Lessons 1st-4th).

I use the WWE method and apply it to the Readers above but for about 10-15$ The Writing With Ease Workbooks are ready for use.  (1st-4th/5th) Writing with Skill (5th -8th)

I really like Story of the World for History.  I regret moving away from it this year. I will actually be picking it back up when we get all of our stuff in two weeks. (we are moving)  She presents all religions as they pertain to history and all the religious stories and myths are presenting within two lines that span the length of story.  IMO it is wonderful.  Also for that grade the Joy Hakim books can be used for American History.  It is a series of 10 books that most libraries carry.  And you can add Literature/Biographies that are relevant.

You should look into Moving Beyond the Page or Pearson Homeschool if they are within your Budget.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)