Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Need some suggestions for a three yr old.

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 11:09 PM
  • 4 Replies
Recently I've been asked to babysit a three yr old. I've been watching him now for three weeks, fourdays a week for just a few hours a day. I should only have him until summer. Can u give me some suggestions of things I can do to teach him?
by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 11:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
collinsmommy0
by Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 11:48 PM
Www.letteroftheweek.com has a free curriculum
Confessions of a homeschooler has a cheaper curriculum with tons of ideas

My son is almost 3. We do a letter a week (put letter stickers on a construction cut out, do a dot marker it, or just color the letter in), a shape or color, and a number. He's 3 so you can probably have him write the letters to his name & stuff. We also do an art project (paint by water, something with construction paper & glue, or foam stickers) each week and I try to do some music, some fine motor, and some puzzles each week.

Basically we play, but I pick out a few of the activities that we will do each week.
katyq
by Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 11:52 PM

Songs and games along with visual and tactile experience...like tracing letters in a tray filled with sand or flour or pudding etc. , painting numbers and letters and shapes, building letters and numbers and shapes out of blocks or just about anything really. Talk about opposites like night and day, hot and cold, full and empty. Talk about why things happen. Give multi-part instructions (" please put your coat away, then put your shoes where they belong, then go sit down in the kitchen") . Plant a sunflower and talk about plant and animal life cycles, track the flowers growth periodically. Have him/her help cook and discuss ingredient amounts (half cup of this, a pinch of that).

katyq
by Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 11:53 PM

We did the stickers thing too! It was probably the singly most effective method for teaching him the alphabet :)

Quoting collinsmommy0: Www.letteroftheweek.com has a free curriculum
Confessions of a homeschooler has a cheaper curriculum with tons of ideas

My son is almost 3. We do a letter a week (put letter stickers on a construction cut out, do a dot marker it, or just color the letter in), a shape or color, and a number. He's 3 so you can probably have him write the letters to his name & stuff. We also do an art project (paint by water, something with construction paper & glue, or foam stickers) each week and I try to do some music, some fine motor, and some puzzles each week.

Basically we play, but I pick out a few of the activities that we will do each week.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Feb. 12, 2014 at 11:54 PM

I concur with letter of the week. My kids also enjoyed pbskinds website at that age. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)