Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

anxity

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 11:26 PM
  • 17 Replies
My oldest son is in 2nd grade in public school and has been on an IEP since kindergarten. I have been so frustrated with the school that we are seriously considering homeschooling. My two biggest draw backs are:
1: I feel l won't have the patience to teach him
2: I don't want to take him away from his friends

I also have a 1yr old, and I baby sit my 4 yr old niece. My middle son is in kindergarten and is doing very well in school.
by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 11:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
katyq
by Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 11:58 PM

Hmmm...what is the iep for? I think you might find that you are more patient if he us schooled at home because you will be able to essential spend that much more time shaping his behavior.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Feb. 13, 2014 at 12:06 AM

My eldest is on the autism spectrum and he has anxiety issues. The thing is, his learning at home - an environment in which he is 100% comfortable - means he has less issues... which have helped him gain some control over the anxiety in larger group situations. Anyone who knows me knows my lack of patience, but for some reason it doesn't seem to affect my HS, probably because homeschool only takes a couple of hours a day, and we can break it down to small increments. Heck you'd even have extra hands to help w/ the little ones! 

awatson
by New Member on Feb. 13, 2014 at 8:55 AM
His IEP is for the written language and he also gets a little extra math help. He doesn't have a diagnosis like ADHD, autism, or anything he just needs a little extra help.

My biggest question is how do you ladies deal with homeschooling along with babies in the house
Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2014 at 9:31 AM

to be honest, I do not think I could do it with a baby or toddlers!!! I get overwhelmed just reading how some moms here do it with a bunch of little ones!!

I"m very spoiled as I am only homeschooling one child who is 10, pretty eager and fun to work with, and his siblings go to school (thinking very deeply if they should stay there).

I worry about the friends a lot too as I am not particularly social myself. But I beleve the educational experience and removal from a debilitating anxiety-provoking environment (the school!) is worth it.

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2014 at 11:21 AM
2 moms liked this

Not everyone should homeschool. I know some zealous homeschoolers think that's an outrageous statement, but realistically, I think it's true. And that's not saying that some parents are BAD parents. It's just not for everyone. Some children really do well in a school environment rather than at home, and some parents really do not have the patience or motivation to homeschool effectively. You have to find what is best for your child AND for your family as a whole. (We've had to make similar choices but not with homeschooling - for example, breastfeeding - I hated every second of it, my babies never slept well while on breast milk - so while I did it for a few months for each of them, ultimately it was the best choice for our family as a whole each time I stopped - just an example of what for some people is the "ideal" but for others makes them miserable).

As for friends - I wouldn't worry about that too much. The school day discourages socializing much anyway. My children each have a handful of good friends and they get together with them after school at each others' houses, or on weekends. My older daughter (5th grade) does Minecraft Homeschool and interacts with other kids that way.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2014 at 11:45 AM

I wish I could help you there. By the time I began homeschooling ds, dd was already 4.

Quoting awatson: His IEP is for the written language and he also gets a little extra math help. He doesn't have a diagnosis like ADHD, autism, or anything he just needs a little extra help.

My biggest question is how do you ladies deal with homeschooling along with babies in the house

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2014 at 11:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Let me go sharpen my pitch fork and light my torch. Bbiab

Quoting hipmomto3:

Not everyone should homeschool. I know some zealous homeschoolers think that's an outrageous statement, but realistically, I think it's true. And that's not saying that some parents are BAD parents. It's just not for everyone. Some children really do well in a school environment rather than at home, and some parents really do not have the patience or motivation to homeschool effectively. You have to find what is best for your child AND for your family as a whole. (We've had to make similar choices but not with homeschooling - for example, breastfeeding - I hated every second of it, my babies never slept well while on breast milk - so while I did it for a few months for each of them, ultimately it was the best choice for our family as a whole each time I stopped - just an example of what for some people is the "ideal" but for others makes them miserable).

As for friends - I wouldn't worry about that too much. The school day discourages socializing much anyway. My children each have a handful of good friends and they get together with them after school at each others' houses, or on weekends. My older daughter (5th grade) does Minecraft Homeschool and interacts with other kids that way.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2014 at 11:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Well, I've got an 12yo, 9yo, 4yo and 2yo plus a bonus child during the week who is 3. LOL We've homeschooled for 5 years.

First, homeschooling is much different from regular school. It goes faster, you can combine subjects so it moves more fluidly and you can do it whenever you feel like it. At 6, you wouldn't be schooling more than 2 hours for a regular amount of work. (think about it. In a school, there are 25-30 kids to teach a skill, 25-30 to get to write their name down or quiet down, or get their book out. In homeschool, you just got the one (or handful of kids) to make that happen.

Does the baby nap? Does the 4yo like a tv show? Sitting at the kitchen table, keeps the schooling child in your eye sight while you feed the baby or get a snack for the 4yo. It's a balancing act.

Quoting awatson: His IEP is for the written language and he also gets a little extra math help. He doesn't have a diagnosis like ADHD, autism, or anything he just needs a little extra help.

awatson
by New Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 11:15 AM
Yes the baby naps, my neice that I watch goes to preschool 1\2 days 3 days a week.
kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 15, 2014 at 2:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Sweety, life itself is a balancing act. You learn to pick something that you feel is worth you efforts or attention and work on/at (?). That includes schooling. What you make important is what will get your attention and get done. Anything else is secondary.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)