Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"Why did you pull me out of school?"

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2014 at 11:24 AM
  • 50 Replies
1 mom liked this

As many of you know, I've had a pretty bumpy road with my 14yo dd concerning school. Ever since she's been home, she's been waffling between wanting to stay home and wanting to go back to school. I've been pretty firm in my choice to keep her home...until now.

Last night dd said she needed to talk to me.

DD* Mom, I know you said you don't want to talk about high school anymore. (She had been whining at me and giving, imo, very weak reasons why she wants to go back) But I've been thinking about it. Why did you pull me out of school?

Me* Well, I wanted to give you a break from school; you were really stressed out and missing a lot of days. And two, I wanted to get you caught up on your academics. You were really far behind honey.

DD* I've had my break and what if I work really hard, harder then I have been and catch up? Would you let me go to high school?

Me* I don't know sweetheart...

DD* But that was the whole reason you brought me home! See, homeschooling this year was a good thing but when it's over, I'll be ready for high school.

Me* Savannah, I know the real reason you want to go back. You miss the boys and the drama. *knowing look*

DD* Well yeah (lol) But it's more than that. I want different teachers and different classes, I want lunch and study hall, and dance and drama; not really P.E. but I can deal with that *smiles*

Me* Are you sure? If you're serious, you're really going to have to work hard; not just now but through the whole summer too.

DD* *Eyes go big at the summer part* *Deep breath* I'm sure.

I've always taught my kids to go after what they want and not give up. I told them a good, strong argument will get them a lot further with me than whining ad complaining. I can't help but feel I've taught her a little too well,lol.

by on Feb. 13, 2014 at 11:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2014 at 11:27 AM

I know this is what she wants and if she works hard, she deserves it, but I can't help feeling like a failure :-(

Will my ds decide too that homeschooling isn't good enough for him when he gets older?

jojo1974
by Member on Feb. 13, 2014 at 11:35 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it sounds like your daughter has given a lot of thought to her experience.  If she really does the work and is ready academically, I would honor her request.  Hey, you can always pull her out again if you need to.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2014 at 11:36 AM

My question is 'Will she be ready academically?' Will she have to test for the school to let her back in since she has had issues with being held back? How's her anxiety and depression?

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2014 at 11:39 AM

She has and you're right, that is true :-)

Quoting jojo1974:

I think it sounds like your daughter has given a lot of thought to her experience.  If she really does the work and is ready academically, I would honor her request.  Hey, you can always pull her out again if you need to.

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2014 at 11:41 AM

I'm not sure if the school requires testing but I do. I've already bought two tests for 8th grade English and Math. Those are the two main subjects she was struggling with. I'm having her take one test now to see where she's at and another before the start of the school year. If I don't don't see significant progress, I won't send her back.

Quoting mem82:

My question is 'Will she be ready academically?' Will she have to test for the school to let her back in since she has had issues with being held back? How's her anxiety and depression?

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2014 at 11:45 AM
2 moms liked this

Sometimes, it's helpful for the kid to see themselves how far they need to progress to make their goals. Testing might really help facilitate her wanting to learn. And I think we all know, that getting a kid to 'want' to learn is 3/4 the battle. lol

Quoting paganbaby:

I'm not sure if the school requires testing but I do. I've already bought two tests for 8th grade English and Math. Those are the two main subjects she was struggling with. I'm having her take one test now to see where she's at and another before the start of the school year. If I don't don't see significant progress, I won't send her back.

Quoting mem82:

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2014 at 11:47 AM
1 mom liked this

I never thought about that. Well shoot, I hope this works and yes, yes it is,lol.

Quoting mem82:

Sometimes, it's helpful for the kid to see themselves how far they need to progress to make their goals. Testing might really help facilitate her wanting to learn. And I think we all know, that getting a kid to 'want' to learn is 3/4 the battle. lol

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting mem82:

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2014 at 12:27 PM
4 moms liked this

Okay, here's my 2 cents.  If she does buckle down and do all of the work, works hard and long and accomplishes everything she needs to, then you win!  She'll be exactly where she needs to be.  If she works hard for a little while and then start slacking a bit and you need to stay on her to get her doing what she needs to do and she winds up NOT going back to PS next year, well, then you win.  You'll know she's exactly where she needs to be to get where she's going (at home where you can keep prompting).  Right?  So, win-win!

I know you'll be sad to spend less time with her, but you'll be proud of where she has gotten.  

Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2014 at 1:02 PM

do you mind sharing where you live? I'm just curious, partly because I follow common core implementation so closely and read very different things about different states and urban vs suburban, etc.

TidewaterClan
by Kate on Feb. 13, 2014 at 1:10 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't see you as a failure at all Pagan.  I see this as you've given her new skills for learning, researching, etc., and her confidence is above where it was when you pulled her out of school.  If she works hard and is ready at the end of the summer, then I feel like you've both done a fine job and both should feel proud of what you've accomplished.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)