Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

OT-DD cut her own hair!!

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2014 at 6:06 PM
  • 12 Replies
Ahh!! I thought we had missed this ever happening in our house...DD is 10.5! She decided her 'bangs' (which were very long and she was growing them out) were in her face so she cut them, like to her scalp! I can't believe I had to have a conversation with her about cutting her own hair at this age! Natural consequences will be letting it grow out and seeing how annoying it will be for the next 6+ months! I'm just in shock. I know she makes some poor decisions, but really? Lol. I can only laugh about it, I'm just still shocked by it.
by on Feb. 13, 2014 at 6:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2014 at 6:19 PM

Ah, I cut my bangs in college.  It's not a hard cut, but bangs shrink.  :(  Good luck to her (oh, and I need pics!)

Molimomma
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2014 at 6:22 PM

Ah, I did the bang cut as a child, probably near that age! All I remember was it was right before a trip back home to WI, my mother was NOT pleased. Remind her next time to reach for a headband or barrette not the scissors!

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Feb. 13, 2014 at 6:34 PM
Exactly what I said! Or ask mom for advice, I could have braided it or showed her some tricks with a clip to keep it our of her face! She even admitted it did not solve the problem as every morning the rest of her hair is still in her face!

Quoting Molimomma:

Ah, I did the bang cut as a child, probably near that age! All I remember was it was right before a trip back home to WI, my mother was NOT pleased. Remind her next time to reach for a headband or barrette not the scissors!

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Feb. 13, 2014 at 6:36 PM
She didn't just try to trim them, she tried to completely get rid of them, so right up to her forehead she went! I will get pics tomorrow or this weekend...tonight she is being VERY sensitive about her bad decision! DH overheard our conversation about cutting ones own hair so when he saw her he said "let me see your haircut" and she had a total meltdown!

Quoting hwblyf:

Ah, I cut my bangs in college.  It's not a hard cut, but bangs shrink.  :(  Good luck to her (oh, and I need pics!)

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2014 at 6:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah, having your mistake on such high profile display is humiliating.  Take it while she sleeps.  :)  I should be more supportive and sensitive.  Sorry.

Quoting TJandKarasMom: She didn't just try to trim them, she tried to completely get rid of them, so right up to her forehead she went! I will get pics tomorrow or this weekend...tonight she is being VERY sensitive about her bad decision! DH overheard our conversation about cutting ones own hair so when he saw her he said "let me see your haircut" and she had a total meltdown!

Quoting hwblyf:

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Feb. 13, 2014 at 8:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Hahahah, I think it's probably the age' I remember doing the same. I felt so 'grown up' that I could do it myself....I have a scar in the middle of my forehead from the attempt.

TidewaterClan
by on Feb. 13, 2014 at 9:24 PM
2 moms liked this
My grandma was a beautician, and she said the difference between a good haircut and a bad one was a month, lol.

Bangs grow out so fast, and she'll have some back in no time. :)
irvinehiker
by Andrea on Feb. 13, 2014 at 11:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Surprisingly my kids haven't tried this one yet, but  they've tried plenty of other things.   10 is a hard age.  They are more mature but still lack some reasoning and common sense.  I'm sure it made sense in her  mind before she did it.   My DD is 12 and in the last 6-10 months she has reached a new level of maturity.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Feb. 14, 2014 at 7:33 AM
Thank you for that encouragement! I feel like most days, I can't wait for 12/13...I never thought I would say that...but 10 has been VERY difficult here! I think her hormones are starting to go crazy, she wants to be mature and responsible, but she just can't prove it yet...it has to get better!

Quoting irvinehiker:

Surprisingly my kids haven't tried this one yet, but  they've tried plenty of other things.   10 is a hard age.  They are more mature but still lack some reasoning and common sense.  I'm sure it made sense in her  mind before she did it.   My DD is 12 and in the last 6-10 months she has reached a new level of maturity.

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Feb. 14, 2014 at 12:05 PM
1 mom liked this

:) Two years ago my girls decided to cut each other's hair.  They took safety scissors and cut each other's braids off.  Thankfully, being in braids meant that they were fairly even cuts.  I think this is kind of a right of passage almost :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN