Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Always changing my mind.

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2014 at 9:03 PM
  • 20 Replies

So I had thought I had everything figured out for school.  Then I started looking at other things.  I really should stop that.

Question:  How many books with study guides should I use?  When not using a study guide there will be free reading of books anyways.

Science:  Video vs reading books and lap reports?  Science Fusion or Elemental Science.

Grammar:  Easy Grammar Plus vs GUM Drops and Giggly Guide to Grammar.

Everything else I've pretty much figured out.  These are the ones I'm always questioning.

by on Feb. 13, 2014 at 9:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bldjrs123
by Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:35 AM

I havent used or looked at those but im going to be using either grow with grammer ( is like $35 bucks for the set) or the language mechanic (is $25) ..... and for science i found the lab of Mr. Q ( you get the life science book and teacher guide free  then after that its $50 for each other books sets)

TidewaterClan
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:44 AM
1 mom liked this
As far as science goes, my oldest (6th) loves science fusion and all of the online tools. My youngest (3rd) is a hold a book kind of gal. I think it depends on your daughter as it which would work best. You guys are middle school? The SF 6-8 units are under $30 and you get a year online access once you activate it. You could see how she likes it & work through one unit.
Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 10:58 AM

We are middle school, yes.  I can not find the science fusion less than $38.

Quoting TidewaterClan: As far as science goes, my oldest (6th) loves science fusion and all of the online tools. My youngest (3rd) is a hold a book kind of gal. I think it depends on your daughter as it which would work best. You guys are middle school? The SF 6-8 units are under $30 and you get a year online access once you activate it. You could see how she likes it & work through one unit.

TidewaterClan
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 11:24 AM
I bought it for $27 when that homeschool co-op had a special on it a few months ago. You can type "homeschool buyers co-op" in your browser and they'll come up. I have no idea how often that's one of their specials.

http://www.pandemoniumbooksellers.com/#!houghton-miffln-harcourt/canh

Use the code on this page to get 20% off and free shipping. The lady is SUPER nice. If you're interested send her an email & tell her you're thinking of Module A - Cells & Heredity (or whichever - you decide where you start) & just need the softcover student book & online access. Her site changed completely and you don't need the $90 teachers book. :)

Quoting Silverkitty:

We are middle school, yes.  I can not find the science fusion less than $38.

Quoting TidewaterClan: As far as science goes, my oldest (6th) loves science fusion and all of the online tools. My youngest (3rd) is a hold a book kind of gal. I think it depends on your daughter as it which would work best. You guys are middle school? The SF 6-8 units are under $30 and you get a year online access once you activate it. You could see how she likes it & work through one unit.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 11:34 AM
1 mom liked this

Literature books with study guides?

When I taught in PS, we usually did 6 novels with study guides during the year.  I try to keep that in mind and do more than that for us here at home.

If I got that wrong, sorry.

Other than that, I've never used any of those.  Good luck!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 1:50 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL I need to stop looking too!

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:40 PM

I haven't heard great things about Elemental Science, just as an fyi. I think people said "busy work" and that it didn't flow very well? I don't remember exactly, just that it didn't have great reviews. Oh, and typos - they said it had the motherload of typos.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:41 PM

Just keep in mind that if you print out the books, instead of reading them on PDF (we hate screen reading), it is MUCH more than $50 per book.

Quoting bldjrs123:

I havent used or looked at those but im going to be using either grow with grammer ( is like $35 bucks for the set) or the language mechanic (is $25) ..... and for science i found the lab of Mr. Q ( you get the life science book and teacher guide free  then after that its $50 for each other books sets)

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 3:52 PM

I was looking at 10 books with study guides, I started to wonder if that was to much.  Some one told me Five books was reasonable.  I figured ____ books with guides with added poetry.  Just need to figure out the number of guides.  She will always be reading something.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Literature books with study guides?

When I taught in PS, we usually did 6 novels with study guides during the year.  I try to keep that in mind and do more than that for us here at home.

If I got that wrong, sorry.

Other than that, I've never used any of those.  Good luck!

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 3:53 PM

Hum, I'll look for more reviews.  Finding a good science is always hard for me.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I haven't heard great things about Elemental Science, just as an fyi. I think people said "busy work" and that it didn't flow very well? I don't remember exactly, just that it didn't have great reviews. Oh, and typos - they said it had the motherload of typos.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN