Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

So I had thought I had everything figured out for school.  Then I started looking at other things.  I really should stop that.

Question:  How many books with study guides should I use?  When not using a study guide there will be free reading of books anyways.

Science:  Video vs reading books and lap reports?  Science Fusion or Elemental Science.

Grammar:  Easy Grammar Plus vs GUM Drops and Giggly Guide to Grammar.

Everything else I've pretty much figured out.  These are the ones I'm always questioning.

by on Feb. 13, 2014 at 9:03 PM
Replies (11-20):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Feb. 14, 2014 at 5:04 PM
1 mom liked this

For science I think it is easier to do a lab after seeing if explained in person/video. A book is sometimes more difficult to equate to the finished lab result. IMO. I have no input on the grammar, sorry! 

Pi always have to stop looking at books/resources....else I'll never make up my mind! I'm too much of a school resource addict. I'm thinking of joining a 12 step program for the addiction...lol...I know many of my fellow CM homeschool moms will be joining me!

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Feb. 14, 2014 at 5:05 PM
1 mom liked this

This is so true - it really depends on how each child learns!

Quoting TidewaterClan: As far as science goes, my oldest (6th) loves science fusion and all of the online tools. My youngest (3rd) is a hold a book kind of gal. I think it depends on your daughter as it which would work best. You guys are middle school? The SF 6-8 units are under $30 and you get a year online access once you activate it. You could see how she likes it & work through one unit.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 5:09 PM

Ten books might be a bit much if you plan to do some poetry and some short stories?  But if you want to just focus on novels, then 10 would be one a month.  That's not bad at all.  Depends on your goals.

Quoting Silverkitty:

I was looking at 10 books with study guides, I started to wonder if that was to much.  Some one told me Five books was reasonable.  I figured ____ books with guides with added poetry.  Just need to figure out the number of guides.  She will always be reading something.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Literature books with study guides?

When I taught in PS, we usually did 6 novels with study guides during the year.  I try to keep that in mind and do more than that for us here at home.

If I got that wrong, sorry.

Other than that, I've never used any of those.  Good luck!

haskins46563
by Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 8:50 AM

We love Mr. q here. I've tried a few other things and none of them worked as well as Mr. q. I don't print the books, I only print the worksheets that I have them do. For the reading I either plug a laptop into the tv to read it together or I use the Apple TV with my iPad to put it up on the screen. 

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Just keep in mind that if you print out the books, instead of reading them on PDF (we hate screen reading), it is MUCH more than $50 per book.

Quoting bldjrs123:

I havent used or looked at those but im going to be using either grow with grammer ( is like $35 bucks for the set) or the language mechanic (is $25) ..... and for science i found the lab of Mr. Q ( you get the life science book and teacher guide free  then after that its $50 for each other books sets)

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 9:09 AM
I for sure would be there. My husband keeps telling me we have enough.

Quoting KickButtMama:

For science I think it is easier to do a lab after seeing if explained in person/video. A book is sometimes more difficult to equate to the finished lab result. IMO. I have no input on the grammar, sorry! 

Pi always have to stop looking at books/resources....else I'll never make up my mind! I'm too much of a school resource addict. I'm thinking of joining a 12 step program for the addiction...lol...I know many of my fellow CM homeschool moms will be joining me!

celtic77dragon
by Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 11:00 PM

I did a lot of looking at what all is available, settled on what works for us, and luckily it has all pretty much worked out. It helps that I dont have time to browse the options too much. Plus, I only allot so much money for homeschooling every year.

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 11:08 PM

I have 2k for schooling two children and a limited time to use it before it gets put back into our household funds.  I really try to keep it less.

Quoting celtic77dragon:

I did a lot of looking at what all is available, settled on what works for us, and luckily it has all pretty much worked out. It helps that I dont have time to browse the options too much. Plus, I only allot so much money for homeschooling every year.

celtic77dragon
by Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 11:19 PM

Oh, you are looking for next year?! Sorry. For some reason I thought you were looking to revamp all this stuff mid year. My bad. 

Quoting Silverkitty:

I have 2k for schooling two children and a limited time to use it before it gets put back into our household funds.  I really try to keep it less.

Quoting celtic77dragon:

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 11:30 PM

Hehe, I did that :) Now to find what doesn't have a next level.

Quoting celtic77dragon:

Oh, you are looking for next year?! Sorry. For some reason I thought you were looking to revamp all this stuff mid year. My bad. 

Quoting Silverkitty:

Quoting celtic77dragon:

MonkeyPeanut79
by Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 9:10 PM

Elemental science is on my great big long list of curriculum choices for next year but I'm not sure yet about it. I'm leaning more toward Noeo science. Sorry, I have no advice really... just saying you are not alone in going over and over your choices lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN