Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Mobile Photo

We took a trip to Powells bookstore this week and bought some new books.
One of them we picked up was "The Tale of Despereaux". Today we read up to chapter 10. She was very interested in it and kept me to read more. She wanted to read a few times too. So I let her read a few pages.
She is 5.5 :).
I really like this book too So far. I'm looking forward to finding more awesome books to read out-loud.
by on Feb. 13, 2014 at 9:59 PM
Replies (11-19):
usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:40 PM
Quoting Chasing3:

we are currently reaidng "The One and Only Ivan" aloud. It's good. I think all ages would like it

We read that not to long ago with our library book club. We loved it! My children voted for it to win the Texas Blue Bonnet Book Award this year.

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 3:07 PM

I have this bizarre problem where I think I read 3 lines at one time.  Confusing for those listening.  And my kids constantly correct me.  That's oodles of fun.  But I love reading stories with them.  Most of the time.  :)

Quoting Leissaintexas:

I will not ignore the dog! LOL very cute.  Ok, I know this makes me a bad mom, but I so hate reading aloud to my kids. (hangs head in shame) Its not that I don't like curling up with my kids and sharing those moments...I truly love that. My problem is  that I read faster in my head than my eyes do, so I'm forever gettin gtoo far ahead of myself and messing up the words.  It seriously makes me insane to have to slow my mind down to the pace of my actual mouth saying the words. But, having confessed all that, I will say that my kids loved the Knights of Arethtrae series, and since we are all dog/animal lovers, The Call of the Wild and White Fang. I regret not doing more "classics" when they were little, they've about outgrown the bedtime reading thing.

katyq
by Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 3:19 PM

Ot...I love how your dog is trying to sit on the couch :p

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Feb. 14, 2014 at 5:07 PM

Aww how cute! We always do bigger chapter books for our read-aloud books. Heck I've even snuck in some advanced science books! Hehehe

SarahinWA
by Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 2:13 PM
We have girls who like "girly" books, so...
Sarah, Plain and Tall; Skylark
the American Girls books (we just finished "Kirsten" series)
Little House on the Prairie series

When they are a little older, I plan on reading some biographies with them. My favorite bio that my mom read to us was "A Walk Across America" by Peter Jenkins.
ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 8:50 PM

Awesome!! We read that book last year.  I had to skip a few parts because they were a little too much for a 3.5 yr old but DD loved it too.

Mweddle
by Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 12:10 AM

me and my 7 year olds just started Harry Potter and The Sorcerers Stone.  They LOVE it!  I think next we will read The Chronicles of Narnia.

oahoah
by Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 11:28 PM
1 mom liked this

We favor "old-fashioned" books; we just finished a Bobbsey Twins book, currently reading The Five Little Peppers and How They Grew.  So many books, so little time! My boys are 4, 6 and 9 and we will take turns reading sometimes or they will read on their own as well (except 4 y/o who is just learning).

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 9:37 AM

My kids have loved the FableHaven series and the Redwall Series. Even though I've read them out loud a bunch to my daughter, she is now picking them up and reading them on her own :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)