Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

My kids new obsession

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 1:08 PM
  • 32 Replies
1 mom liked this

So as many of you know I do a LOT of hand crafts - knitting, crochet, tatting, soutache, jewelry making, you name it I probably make it. The kids have always wanted to learn yarn crafts, but no matter how many ways I've taught them to knit or crochet it's a failure - we've even tried tunisian and the knook! Then I saw how fast they fly through their rainbow looms. Inspiration struck! They've now been loom knitting like bandits over the last  couple of weeks...lol

by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 1:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 1:53 PM

very cool

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 1:53 PM
Can you only do circles?
usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:23 PM
I have a friend that dose that & makes hats for people with cancer. I have thought about learning to do it myself.
katyq
by Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:56 PM

That's awesome! I wish I had a skill like that to pass on -_-

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 3:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I suck at all the yarn arts.  It's humiliating.  I've checked out your stuff--you're amazing.  I'm gonna ship my daughter off to you to learn.  She's kinda frustrated with me right now.  :)

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Feb. 14, 2014 at 4:46 PM

No, the one in the picture is actually going to be a shawl. But you can also get rectangular looms to do all sorts of yarn things on. You can follow any regular crochet/knit pattern, it's just a billion times easier. You can get a set of either round or rectangle looms at Walmart for about $20 the set comes with 4 or 5. So for the round you get a tiny one - sized for baby hats or small crafts (mittens, flowers, etc), children's, adults, and jumbo. The rectangles you get a tiny one for slippers, up to a long one for afghans, though I actually recommend getting an infinity loom for afghans, else you do it in strips and have to stitch them together later. 

Quoting mem82: Can you only do circles?

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Feb. 14, 2014 at 5:00 PM
3 moms liked this

Aw, you're so sweet! I jokingly submitted a proposal for jewelry making at our local co-op. Since every week I sit for the first period and work on whatever commissioned piece I have going and many people ask about them. So I giggled and submitted the proposal, I didn't think anyone would actually sign up, but I've gotten about 12 families registered and registration has only been open a couple of hours! I was shocked! Lol. So we will be covering a different style every week - Rainbow Looming, knit/Crochet looming, bead looming, soutachet, para-chort/survival, kumihimo, etc. Now I'm excited to teach everyone about the amazing history of the styles.... Like the oldest known piece of knit fabric found was from 3-5th century BCE...it was a pair of Roman/Egyptian socks! And Kumihimo (a braiding technique) originated with the ancient Japanese Samurai! Soutache became popular during the 15th century in France...etc. So we will travel through time, and around the globe making cool pieces.

I've been thinking of doing a Crafting for the Uber-Beginner type video series on youtube since I often stand in the aisle at JoAnn Fabrics and give mini-lessons..lol..

Quoting hwblyf:

I suck at all the yarn arts.  It's humiliating.  I've checked out your stuff--you're amazing.  I'm gonna ship my daughter off to you to learn.  She's kinda frustrated with me right now.  :)

TidewaterClan
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 5:45 PM
We are Knifty Knitter fiends around here! Those are very fun & fast to work with. I'm glad your children are having fun, especially since you're so wonderful at the fiber arts.
celtic77dragon
by Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 6:32 PM
2 moms liked this

Very cool.

I LOVE to building things, working on mechanical stuff, and the etc. But I SUCK at string related crafts (except sewing - that I can do). At the farm, a lady suggested I take up knitting because I am so hyper active. I went to a local knitting place ... I was eventually kicked out of the group for being a "distraction". (I still think they just didnt like when the f word is repeatedly used when frustrated).   

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 6:49 PM

That is awesome.  I love how you're excited about the history of it, too.  :)

Quoting KickButtMama:

Aw, you're so sweet! I jokingly submitted a proposal for jewelry making at our local co-op. Since every week I sit for the first period and work on whatever commissioned piece I have going and many people ask about them. So I giggled and submitted the proposal, I didn't think anyone would actually sign up, but I've gotten about 12 families registered and registration has only been open a couple of hours! I was shocked! Lol. So we will be covering a different style every week - Rainbow Looming, knit/Crochet looming, bead looming, soutachet, para-chort/survival, kumihimo, etc. Now I'm excited to teach everyone about the amazing history of the styles.... Like the oldest known piece of knit fabric found was from 3-5th century BCE...it was a pair of Roman/Egyptian socks! And Kumihimo (a braiding technique) originated with the ancient Japanese Samurai! Soutache became popular during the 15th century in France...etc. So we will travel through time, and around the globe making cool pieces.

I've been thinking of doing a Crafting for the Uber-Beginner type video series on youtube since I often stand in the aisle at JoAnn Fabrics and give mini-lessons..lol..

Quoting hwblyf:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN