Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

So as many of you know I do a LOT of hand crafts - knitting, crochet, tatting, soutache, jewelry making, you name it I probably make it. The kids have always wanted to learn yarn crafts, but no matter how many ways I've taught them to knit or crochet it's a failure - we've even tried tunisian and the knook! Then I saw how fast they fly through their rainbow looms. Inspiration struck! They've now been loom knitting like bandits over the last  couple of weeks...lol

by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 1:08 PM
Replies (11-20):
kmath
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 7:00 PM

That is awesome!  The teaching thing is really cool too.  I love that you are going to incoperate history into the lessons as well!

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 14, 2014 at 7:43 PM
Fantastic! My husband got me the 4 circle set for Christmas. So far I made a doll hat and my daughter made a doll hat. I don't have enough yarn to make a real size hat since you need to do two spools (or a nice bulky) at a time. I can't wait to go yarn shopping.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Feb. 14, 2014 at 8:53 PM

It's soooo easy. You can make a hat in about 2 hours, maybe even less! I've knitted hats. & boogies for premies and hats for cancer patients for years, but these will make it so I can make even more (and the kids can join in!)

Quoting usmom3: I have a friend that dose that & makes hats for people with cancer. I have thought about learning to do it myself.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Feb. 14, 2014 at 8:54 PM

Downside.....they just opened a Joann Fabric store 3 blocks from my house....there goes my savings account!

Quoting Boobah: Fantastic! My husband got me the 4 circle set for Christmas. So far I made a doll hat and my daughter made a doll hat. I don't have enough yarn to make a real size hat since you need to do two spools (or a nice bulky) at a time. I can't wait to go yarn shopping.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Feb. 14, 2014 at 8:57 PM
2 moms liked this

Then they'd hate me, I'm the F-bomb queen..lol... When I started teaching at co-ops I had to pull out my foreign language swears, so the kids wouldn't know what I was saying...lol..

the knifty knitters, knit looms, are soooo much easier, and almost therapeutic/hypnotic. 

Quoting celtic77dragon:

Very cool.

I LOVE to building things, working on mechanical stuff, and the etc. But I SUCK at string related crafts (except sewing - that I can do). At the farm, a lady suggested I take up knitting because I am so hyper active. I went to a local knitting place ... I was eventually kicked out of the group for being a "distraction". (I still think they just didnt like when the f word is repeatedly used when frustrated).   

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:05 PM
1 mom liked this

I found this great video on how to do a lovely 2 toned hat, without it being striped 

Quoting Boobah: Fantastic! My husband got me the 4 circle set for Christmas. So far I made a doll hat and my daughter made a doll hat. I don't have enough yarn to make a real size hat since you need to do two spools (or a nice bulky) at a time. I can't wait to go yarn shopping.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:09 PM
2 moms liked this

For me, I love knowing I'm doing a technique that has been around hundreds, if not thousands, of years. Though it's also cool doing rainbow looms knowing it was invented by a pair of pre-teen sisters only a few years ago. The history of these crafts is so cool (to a nerd like me..lol) I mean Soutache was at its most popular during the court for Marie Antoinette! 

Quoting kmath:

That is awesome!  The teaching thing is really cool too.  I love that you are going to incoperate history into the lessons as well!

kmath
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:11 PM

I love history so that aspect of your class would be the best part.  I suck at crafty stuff though so the actual crafting part would suck for me.  LOL

Quoting KickButtMama:

For me, I love knowing I'm doing a technique that has been around hundreds, if not thousands, of years. Though it's also cool doing rainbow looms knowing it was invented by a pair of pre-teen sisters only a few years ago. The history of these crafts is so cool (to a nerd like me..lol) I mean Soutache was at its most popular during the court for Marie Antoinette! 

Quoting kmath:

celtic77dragon
by Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 10:09 PM
1 mom liked this

That is awesome. I must have missed that being mentioned.

Quoting kmath:

That is awesome!  The teaching thing is really cool too.  I love that you are going to incorporate history into the lessons as well!

kmath
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 10:13 PM

She said something about it in one of her replies!  I love that part of it the most!  LOL

Quoting celtic77dragon:

That is awesome. I must have missed that being mentioned.

Quoting kmath:

That is awesome!  The teaching thing is really cool too.  I love that you are going to incorporate history into the lessons as well!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)