Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

So as many of you know I do a LOT of hand crafts - knitting, crochet, tatting, soutache, jewelry making, you name it I probably make it. The kids have always wanted to learn yarn crafts, but no matter how many ways I've taught them to knit or crochet it's a failure - we've even tried tunisian and the knook! Then I saw how fast they fly through their rainbow looms. Inspiration struck! They've now been loom knitting like bandits over the last  couple of weeks...lol

by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 1:08 PM
Replies (21-30):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Feb. 14, 2014 at 10:55 PM

Here's a copy of the reply from before :)

Aw, you're so sweet! I jokingly submitted a proposal for jewelry making at our local co-op. Since every week I sit for the first period and work on whatever commissioned piece I have going and many people ask about them. So I giggled and submitted the proposal, I didn't think anyone would actually sign up, but I've gotten about 12 families registered and registration has only been open a couple of hours! I was shocked! Lol. So we will be covering a different style every week - Rainbow Looming, knit/Crochet looming, bead looming, soutachet, para-chort/survival, kumihimo, etc. Now I'm excited to teach everyone about the amazing history of the styles.... Like the oldest known piece of knit fabric found was from 3-5th century BCE...it was a pair of Roman/Egyptian socks! And Kumihimo (a braiding technique) originated with the ancient Japanese Samurai! Soutache became popular during the 15th century in France...etc. So we will travel through time, and around the globe making cool pieces.

'For me, I love knowing I'm doing a technique that has been around hundreds, if not thousands, of years. Though it's also cool doing rainbow looms knowing it was invented by a pair of pre-teen sisters only a few years ago. The history of these crafts is so cool (to a nerd like me..lol) I mean Soutache was at its most popular during the court for Marie Antoinette! '

I've been thinking of doing a Crafting for the Uber-Beginner type video series on youtube since I often stand in the aisle at JoAnn Fabrics and give mini-lessons..lol..

Quoting celtic77dragon:

That is awesome. I must have missed that being mentioned.

Quoting kmath:

That is awesome!  The teaching thing is really cool too.  I love that you are going to incorporate history into the lessons as well!

celtic77dragon
by Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 11:46 PM

I am all up for your videos! Fantastic ideas there Shannon!!!

Quoting KickButtMama:

Here's a copy of the reply from before :)

Aw, you're so sweet! I jokingly submitted a proposal for jewelry making at our local co-op. Since every week I sit for the first period and work on whatever commissioned piece I have going and many people ask about them. So I giggled and submitted the proposal, I didn't think anyone would actually sign up, but I've gotten about 12 families registered and registration has only been open a couple of hours! I was shocked! Lol. So we will be covering a different style every week - Rainbow Looming, knit/Crochet looming, bead looming, soutachet, para-chort/survival, kumihimo, etc. Now I'm excited to teach everyone about the amazing history of the styles.... Like the oldest known piece of knit fabric found was from 3-5th century BCE...it was a pair of Roman/Egyptian socks! And Kumihimo (a braiding technique) originated with the ancient Japanese Samurai! Soutache became popular during the 15th century in France...etc. So we will travel through time, and around the globe making cool pieces.

'For me, I love knowing I'm doing a technique that has been around hundreds, if not thousands, of years. Though it's also cool doing rainbow looms knowing it was invented by a pair of pre-teen sisters only a few years ago. The history of these crafts is so cool (to a nerd like me..lol) I mean Soutache was at its most popular during the court for Marie Antoinette! '

I've been thinking of doing a Crafting for the Uber-Beginner type video series on youtube since I often stand in the aisle at JoAnn Fabrics and give mini-lessons..lol..

Quoting celtic77dragon:

That is awesome. I must have missed that being mentioned.

Quoting kmath:

That is awesome!  The teaching thing is really cool too.  I love that you are going to incorporate history into the lessons as well!

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Feb. 15, 2014 at 3:28 PM
I have some yarn that I won't use...it's mostly red heart brand...I used to use it for everything, but then I found Caron simply soft and have pretty much switched to only using that. Anyway, if you are interested I could send you some...I kind of need to thin out my stash!

Quoting Boobah: Fantastic! My husband got me the 4 circle set for Christmas. So far I made a doll hat and my daughter made a doll hat. I don't have enough yarn to make a real size hat since you need to do two spools (or a nice bulky) at a time. I can't wait to go yarn shopping.
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Feb. 15, 2014 at 3:28 PM
Every time I read your posts I wish we lived closer, lol.

This is a great idea! I love it!

Quoting KickButtMama:

Quoting hwblyf:

I suck at all the yarn arts.  It's humiliating.  I've checked out your stuff--you're amazing.  I'm gonna ship my daughter off to you to learn.  She's kinda frustrated with me right now.  :)

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Feb. 15, 2014 at 4:03 PM

I Love, Love, LOVE the Simply Soft brand....sooooo dreamy! Anything Boo doesn't want my kids would love! :)

Quoting TJandKarasMom: I have some yarn that I won't use...it's mostly red heart brand...I used to use it for everything, but then I found Caron simply soft and have pretty much switched to only using that. Anyway, if you are interested I could send you some...I kind of need to thin out my stash!

Quoting Boobah: Fantastic! My husband got me the 4 circle set for Christmas. So far I made a doll hat and my daughter made a doll hat. I don't have enough yarn to make a real size hat since you need to do two spools (or a nice bulky) at a time. I can't wait to go yarn shopping.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Feb. 15, 2014 at 4:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Aww, that's sweet too! Now that we've finished moving, I've promissed the kids we can start updating the Youtube account with more modern video tutorials - the ones I have up now are all the lapbooks from when my eldest was doing about 1st grade work (he's going to be 13 soon! lol). The kids plan on doing the rainbow looming, and I'm working on covering a little of everything...basically everything I'll be doing in the class (including the histories). It helps the students as well, since most probably won't finish their weekly project in the 50 minute class, the video can help if they forget what to do :)

Quoting TJandKarasMom: Every time I read your posts I wish we lived closer, lol.

Quoting KickButtMama:

Quoting hwblyf:

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Feb. 15, 2014 at 4:25 PM
And then you can share the videos here for the rest of us!

Quoting KickButtMama:

Aww, that's sweet too! Now that we've finished moving, I've promissed the kids we can start updating the Youtube account with more modern video tutorials - the ones I have up now are all the lapbooks from when my eldest was doing about 1st grade work (he's going to be 13 soon! lol). The kids plan on doing the rainbow looming, and I'm working on covering a little of everything...basically everything I'll be doing in the class (including the histories). It helps the students as well, since most probably won't finish their weekly project in the 50 minute class, the video can help if they forget what to do :)

Quoting TJandKarasMom: Every time I read your posts I wish we lived closer, lol.

Quoting KickButtMama:

Quoting hwblyf:

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Feb. 15, 2014 at 4:26 PM
It's my favorite, go to yarn now!

I can't give it all away, or my kids would kill me, lol. I'm going to go through it and see what I have that we are willing to part with, lol.

Quoting KickButtMama:

I Love, Love, LOVE the Simply Soft brand....sooooo dreamy! Anything Boo doesn't want my kids would love! :)

Quoting TJandKarasMom: I have some yarn that I won't use...it's mostly red heart brand...I used to use it for everything, but then I found Caron simply soft and have pretty much switched to only using that. Anyway, if you are interested I could send you some...I kind of need to thin out my stash!

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Feb. 15, 2014 at 7:01 PM
1 mom liked this

The beauty of youtube!

Quoting TJandKarasMom: And then you can share the videos here for the rest of us!

Quoting KickButtMama:

Quoting KickButtMama:

Quoting hwblyf:

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 8:57 PM

That's awesome!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)