Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

We are a military family currently stationed overseas in Japan. I have been homeschooling my 6yr old son since Sept, so we are still pretty new to it all. Our base really doesn't have any restrictions, laws or guidelines when it comes to homeschooling, so we can pretty much teach how,what and when we want which has been great. Over here, when I decided to home school my son, all I had to do was inform the school and dis-enroll him, get materials and just start "teaching" him.

My problem is that we will be going back to the states this year and I would really like to continue to home school but i know that each state tends to have their own home school regulations and laws etc. We haven't received our new orders yet, but there is a good chance that we will be heading to CA. I decided to look up the home school regulations for CA and I was a little overwhelmed by all the legal mumbo jumbo. Seeing how I have been able to pretty much "teach" how and whatever i wanted to up to now, I'm a little bit nervous to go back stateside.

Are any of you ladies in CA? Is homeschooling there as difficult as all the legal mumbo jumo makes sound? I am just afraid that I wont be able to homeschool my son if we end up there or that it will be difficult to.

by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 4:37 PM
Replies (21-21):
Knightquester
by on Feb. 20, 2014 at 7:03 PM

If you're going to choose an alternative route there is CAVA which is K12, but to get a closer feeling to homeschooling I would look into one of the many charter schools that have a homeschool program.  They are also accredited through the state (like K12 and public schools), however you can basically choose your own curriculum, schedule, teaching method, and have full control over your homeschooling experience, which is not something K12 offers.  You also usually get a stipend through most charter schools you can spend on curriculum, supplies, and extra curricular classes (for my kids it's $1600 per child, per year).

Quoting LoriAlane8:

I can't speak to homschool laws but have you thought about enrolling in a virtual academy? There are many. We are in California Virtual Academy since it uses the awesome K12 curriculum. It's a public school but done at home.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN