Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Schedule/Staying on track

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 7:15 PM
  • 25 Replies
1 mom liked this

I am homeschooling my son who is in Kindergarten and I also have a 4 and 1 and a half year old..and one due in July. This is my first year homeschooling (obviously lol) but I was homeschooling from 5th - 12th. I am really struggling with keeping a schedule. It takes me so long to get started in the mornings and I admit that we have fallen behind. I am trying to get caught up. I know that school has to be our number one priority but it seems that there is always something going on that is getting in the way. Does anyone else struggle with this?

Robin

by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 7:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 8:53 PM

I do.  Honestly, it's one of the reasons I went with packaged programs.  I need it laid out for me.  I don't want to be doing all sorts of research and printing of things.  I like to just go to the next lesson.  Sure, I modify it as needed so I'm not off the hook for work but I also have a 2 yr old and I need to be able to get stuff done while he naps, which isn't long so I need to use my time wisely and not spend  time shuffling papers trying to figure out what we are going to do.

Are you using boxed programs or just putting it together yourself?

inwonderland23
by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 9:06 PM

Quoting ablackdolphin:

I do.  Honestly, it's one of the reasons I went with packaged programs.  I need it laid out for me.  I don't want to be doing all sorts of research and printing of things.  I like to just go to the next lesson.  Sure, I modify it as needed so I'm not off the hook for work but I also have a 2 yr old and I need to be able to get stuff done while he naps, which isn't long so I need to use my time wisely and not spend  time shuffling papers trying to figure out what we are going to do.

I am using the My Father's World program for Kindergarten but I don't feel like it covers everything so I add stuff in..and end up doing all the printing and what not. It has plans for everyday but I just don't like it so I end up changing everything. lol. I feel like when the kids are a little older it will be easier to do boxed curriculum..and I'm planning to order that for 1st grade (Alpha Omega). What do you use?

mom2theA-team
by New Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 9:17 PM

I am confused as to what you mean by "Number one priority?" 

We homeschool our six year old (who would be K in our district) and have a two year old. I make weekly goals. The only thing we do daily is reading. I make weekly goals and try to stick to those... In all honesty though, it's not a huge priority to us... Maybe because she tested at a second grade level this year when we started but also because I don't believe a young child should be learning a set curriculum. 

celtic77dragon
by Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 9:31 PM

Honestly, I just don't mess around with school. It either has to be getting done or else they need to go to public school. That is my standards here anyways.

It sounds like the distractions are only going to intensify if youre pregnant with another child and have 3 very young kids who arent even school age. 

jen2150
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 9:45 PM
1 mom liked this
My kids are 10 and 11 so I undertstand how hard difficult it can be balancing your time. We started in the very beginning. I make homeschooling my priority. The needs of my family comes before everyone except myself including their educational needs. Also remember in kindergarten 1-2 hours is plenty. I currenlty have older kids so we spend about 4 hours per day but some of it is independent work. When my kids were young I hired someone to help me clean twice per week. It was quite helpful. In kindergarten I spent an hour in the morning and one in the afternoon plus lots of reading together in between. I suggest you play around with your schedule until you find what works.
jojo1974
by Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 9:50 PM
1 mom liked this

One of our struggles is that every day is different.  Nat has OT Monday mornings and we also have parent therapy with her therapist Mondays at noon.  Tuesdays, she has therapy.  Other days have afternoon things: art class, gymnastics, science enrichment twice a month...

It seems like by the time we get home of Mondays and Tuesdays and have lunch, the girls are done and it is really hard to focus them.

Every night, I go to bed and swear I will do it better tomorrow.  That's all we can do, I guess - just try harder each day.

Codysmom2106
by Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 10:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I have an almost year old and a 2 year old. We do school every morning before we do anything else. I piece the curriculum together day by day based on how he is doing. It's a lot of work and takes time but this way I see what he needs to work on more and can plan accordingly. Public school didn't work, it's not an option, so I do my best to prioritize and make everything work. 

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Feb. 15, 2014 at 10:16 PM
2 moms liked this

I agree, once the kids are older a boxed curriculum will be much easier to adhere to. Have you looked at www.letteroftheweek.com ? I used it with my boys until they were between 6-7 y/o. Really if you do some stories and songs, counting and spelling when you can. Then you are way ahead of PS. I do NOT agree it needs to be the number 1 priority at that age. A ton of learning can be gotten through educational play. 

When you are preggers, and have little ones - so that even the 'school aged' child is under 7, then I'd relax. You can work on making learning a part of life - when you pass a sign have your child read it. When nursing & the little's are napping have the elder do a math worksheet. My kids also Love www.time4learning.com it was one way I got my elder to do some more focused work on his own without my having to devote my dwindling brain cells completely. :) you are more than likely doing waaaaay more than you think! 

Quoting inwonderland23:

Quoting ablackdolphin:

I am using the My Father's World program for Kindergarten but I don't feel like it covers everything so I add stuff in..and end up doing all the printing and what not. It has plans for everyday but I just don't like it so I end up changing everything. lol. I feel like when the kids are a little older it will be easier to do boxed curriculum..and I'm planning to order that for 1st grade (Alpha Omega). What do you use?

inwonderland23
by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 11:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I think my problem is because I planned to use a set curriculum at the start of the year...and I feel like I have fallen behind..it gives me anxiety. I think for Kindergarten we need to do more of a learning through life style like you guys said. He is almost 6 and is required in my state to do kindergarten this year..we just have to show his work at the end of the year and he has to be evaluated. I love all of this advice and it's nice to hear from other moms in similar situations. Having a newborn will be an adjustment but at least I'm going to have the new baby in the beginning of the summer so I can adjust before the new year starts. Thanks everyone for the encouragement!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 9:47 AM
2 moms liked this

Take pictures!!  I keep track of our learning situations through lots of pictures.  It's a nice way of showing what you did during the year without tons of written work.  My evaluator likes to see the pictures and videos we take of the boys reading to us, spelling, building words with refrigerator magnets, making up their own verses to rhyming songs (Down by the Bay is a big one around here, they yell they have one at the beginning of each new verse).  It's much easier for us than keeping my youngest supplied with worksheets, he's just far too active to be bothered.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)