Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Florida???

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2014 at 5:52 PM
  • 4 Replies

Anyone Homeschool in Florida?? I was trying to find out if florida requires a certian cirriclum or guidelines as to what the children need to know at the end of the year. But I cant find anything so im assuming it means i can do whatever. And the evaluation at the end of the year how does that work?

by on Feb. 16, 2014 at 5:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
kmath
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 7:24 PM

No curriculum requirements at all.  You have to have 180 days of instruction and a reading log.  If you are going the evaluation route, you just put together a portfolio of your kids work throughout the year and talk to an evaluator about what they learned.  Or you can do a standardized test.  It is pretty simple here.

Hanab818
by Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 8:36 PM

Awesome. How does the log work?

Quoting kmath:

No curriculum requirements at all.  You have to have 180 days of instruction and a reading log.  If you are going the evaluation route, you just put together a portfolio of your kids work throughout the year and talk to an evaluator about what they learned.  Or you can do a standardized test.  It is pretty simple here.

kmath
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 8:52 PM

I just make a list of all the books he reads and anything he uses for curriculum.

Quoting Hanab818:

Awesome. How does the log work?

Quoting kmath:

romacox
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 6:03 PM

The Following link will provide you with a sample of "The Letter Of Intent", Florida Laws, the Portfolio,  Annual Evaluation, and more.

Florida Parent Educators Association

I would add that it is wise to get in touch with a home school support group near you.  Some of the school districts are requiring things that the State does not.  They will advise you as to how to handle this.

Also the support group can direct you to an evaluator who is not only a certified teacher, but is also a home educator.  Don't use just any school teacher to do the annual evaluation. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)