Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What makes you qualified? Epic answer!

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2014 at 1:50 PM
  • 21 Replies
11 moms liked this

On Sunday a bunch of us mommas were sitting around sipping tea when we got talking about the things our kids are doing.  There's a good cross-section of parents there, public schooled, private schooled and homeschooled.  One of the ladies (she's a public school teacher) said this...."I just don't get it.  What can possible make you think you are qualified to teach all of the subjects?"

Here was an AWESOME answer!!

"I want you to think about this.  What made me qualified to teach in the public school system?  I had the desire to teach, a passion for it so to speak.  That desire and interest led me to seek out the core knowledge necessary to teach the information I wanted to teach.  That journey led me to learn the legalities of teaching, it brought me to locations that would help me find the information I needed in order to reach and acheive those desires.  For Public school teaching that was attending a University, studying the intricacies of the system, taking courses and finally passing the Praxis testing to acheive a Certificate through the state.  For Homeschooling I had a desire to educate my child in the best manner for them.  This desire led me to seek out information about learning styles and to assimilate the core knowledges that I would wish to impart to my children.  It led me to my state laws and finally support groups in my area.  So when you ask what makes me qualified?  It's the same as a public school teacher.  It's the desire to do it, the will to find the information, and the knowledge of the legalities associated with it."

Obviously this is a paraphrasing, but to hear it....it was eipc!  LOL

by on Feb. 17, 2014 at 1:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 2:14 PM
2 moms liked this

Ha! That's great!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 17, 2014 at 2:58 PM
2 moms liked this
Haha! Now that is a great response. :)
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Feb. 17, 2014 at 4:20 PM
2 moms liked this

That's awesome!! 

celtic77dragon
by Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 6:39 PM
1 mom liked this

That is awesome.

I still think that having a specialized degree in a particular subject matter usually makes you MORE qualified though (especially during the middle school and high school years) - but that is just my opinion. 

usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 17, 2014 at 8:31 PM
1 mom liked this

That is great! So what did the teacher have to say in response to it?

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 9:26 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting usmom3:

She thinks there ought to be "more stringent legalities then."  But she admitted it should be "okay for elementary kids, but once they get to high school" she hopes we'll send them back to school.

We did move on at that.  But I really enjoyed the answer so much!  I struggle with that because I hate to act as though my education makes me "qualified" because I have seen so many women just have children who thrive in homeschooling and no education degree is necessary!  I'm never sure how to answer that question!

TidewaterClan
by on Feb. 17, 2014 at 10:43 PM
1 mom liked this
What a wonderful answer. Where there's a will there's a way!
romacox
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 7:03 AM
1 mom liked this

Excellent.

romacox
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 7:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Independent studies show that home educated children outperform public schooled children in college, and in college entrance exams. College professors complain that children (from the public schools) arrive at college unable to do basic math, or to read at grade level  So the evidence is clear  that degrees are not a problem in the home school venue. Regulations and degrees have not helped public schools...What makes them think it will help the home school venue?

If something isn't broken don't fix it. 

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting usmom3:

She thinks there ought to be "more stringent legalities then."  But she admitted it should be "okay for elementary kids, but once they get to high school" she hopes we'll send them back to school.

We did move on at that.  But I really enjoyed the answer so much!  I struggle with that because I hate to act as though my education makes me "qualified" because I have seen so many women just have children who thrive in homeschooling and no education degree is necessary!  I'm never sure how to answer that question!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 8:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh Roma, I don't think it's about helping the homeschool venue, for her especially I think it's about feeling her degree is worth something.  I think the argument in her mind subconsciously goes something like this:  If a homeschool student can outperform a public school student, then what good am I?  Then the thoughts HAVE to move onto other facets.... socialization, group work, why parents don't just want to do what "everyone else does."  So she bases things on what she hears (in her case completely ignoring the multiple families in her own community who homeschool) she hears that people homeschool for fundamentalist Christian ideals.  She hears about the uglier sides where parents aren't homeschooling but just using the homeschooling laws to circumvent sending their abused children into public.  When assimilated without any of the evidence of those around her (which she can whisk away with the idea that these are the "good ones," then she feels the need to "save" those children.  

This is just my take on her thought processes, but her words kind of lead me to believe that this is an acurate depiction of her beliefs about homeschooling.

Quoting romacox:

Independent studies show that home educated children outperform public schooled children in college, and in college entrance exams. College professors complain that children (from the public schools) arrive at college unable to do basic math, or to read at grade level  So the evidence is clear  that degrees are not a problem in the home school venue. Regulations and degrees have not helped public schools...What makes them think it will help the home school venue?

If something isn't broken don't fix it. 

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting usmom3:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)