Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What makes you qualified? Epic answer!

Posted by   + Show Post

On Sunday a bunch of us mommas were sitting around sipping tea when we got talking about the things our kids are doing.  There's a good cross-section of parents there, public schooled, private schooled and homeschooled.  One of the ladies (she's a public school teacher) said this...."I just don't get it.  What can possible make you think you are qualified to teach all of the subjects?"

Here was an AWESOME answer!!

"I want you to think about this.  What made me qualified to teach in the public school system?  I had the desire to teach, a passion for it so to speak.  That desire and interest led me to seek out the core knowledge necessary to teach the information I wanted to teach.  That journey led me to learn the legalities of teaching, it brought me to locations that would help me find the information I needed in order to reach and acheive those desires.  For Public school teaching that was attending a University, studying the intricacies of the system, taking courses and finally passing the Praxis testing to acheive a Certificate through the state.  For Homeschooling I had a desire to educate my child in the best manner for them.  This desire led me to seek out information about learning styles and to assimilate the core knowledges that I would wish to impart to my children.  It led me to my state laws and finally support groups in my area.  So when you ask what makes me qualified?  It's the same as a public school teacher.  It's the desire to do it, the will to find the information, and the knowledge of the legalities associated with it."

Obviously this is a paraphrasing, but to hear it....it was eipc!  LOL

by on Feb. 17, 2014 at 1:50 PM
Replies (11-20):
jen2150
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 8:24 AM
Very well put. I have to say my response would have been drastically different. I see no need to be polite when people are rude to me. I had to tell my best friend off one time. She got the message and never said anything again. She has seen how homeschooling works and has since changed her opinion. I probably would have mentioned that I am not teaching my kids what I know but I am teaching them how to learn.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 8:32 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting jen2150: Very well put. I have to say my response would have been drastically different. I see no need to be polite when people are rude to me. I had to tell my best friend off one time. She got the message and never said anything again. She has seen how homeschooling works and has since changed her opinion. I probably would have mentioned that I am not teaching my kids what I know but I am teaching them how to learn.

I waffle back and forth with my responses.  On one hand, I hate that people think they have the authority to ask me about decisions I make for my family and I want to tell them where to stick it.  On the other hand, I really want to educate people on what homeschooling is so that they aren't pulling their knowledge on it from the ludicrous stories they hear on the news.  I also waffle about telling them, I am freaking qualified to teach in the public schools so bite me, to telling them that a homeschooler does not need a degree in education because we are dealing with a very small number of students instead of a large overcrowded classroom situation.

I'm a waffler, what can I say?  But I felt that my friend kind of did all of it at once.  It made me giggle just a little bit!  :-)

jen2150
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 8:46 AM
I firmly believe it is not what you say as much as how you say it. I love educating others on homeschooling but not if they are rude. I have no problems answering questions but they need to be asked correctly. I am not a rude person but I won't take it from anyone. I completely understand what you are saying.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting jen2150: Very well put. I have to say my response would have been drastically different. I see no need to be polite when people are rude to me. I had to tell my best friend off one time. She got the message and never said anything again. She has seen how homeschooling works and has since changed her opinion. I probably would have mentioned that I am not teaching my kids what I know but I am teaching them how to learn.

I waffle back and forth with my responses.  On one hand, I hate that people think they have the authority to ask me about decisions I make for my family and I want to tell them where to stick it.  On the other hand, I really want to educate people on what homeschooling is so that they aren't pulling their knowledge on it from the ludicrous stories they hear on the news.  I also waffle about telling them, I am freaking qualified to teach in the public schools so bite me, to telling them that a homeschooler does not need a degree in education because we are dealing with a very small number of students instead of a large overcrowded classroom situation.

I'm a waffler, what can I say?  But I felt that my friend kind of did all of it at once.  It made me giggle just a little bit!  :-)

romacox
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 9:14 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you for your kind response, Bluerooffarm.  I do understand the mindset.

But I have a degree, and honestly: I had to unlearn much of what I was taught in college  in order to succeed.  Degrees are necessary for some fields, but nothing beats experience. 

P.S. If I had allowed my degree to prevent me from learning from non-degree-holding home educators, the loss would have been mine.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Oh Roma, I don't think it's about helping the homeschool venue, for her especially I think it's about feeling her degree is worth something.  I think the argument in her mind subconsciously goes something like this:  If a homeschool student can outperform a public school student, then what good am I?  Then the thoughts HAVE to move onto other facets.... socialization, group work, why parents don't just want to do what "everyone else does."  So she bases things on what she hears (in her case completely ignoring the multiple families in her own community who homeschool) she hears that people homeschool for fundamentalist Christian ideals.  She hears about the uglier sides where parents aren't homeschooling but just using the homeschooling laws to circumvent sending their abused children into public.  When assimilated without any of the evidence of those around her (which she can whisk away with the idea that these are the "good ones," then she feels the need to "save" those children.  

This is just my take on her thought processes, but her words kind of lead me to believe that this is an acurate depiction of her beliefs about homeschooling.

Quoting romacox:

Independent studies show that home educated children outperform public schooled children in college, and in college entrance exams. College professors complain that children (from the public schools) arrive at college unable to do basic math, or to read at grade level  So the evidence is clear  that degrees are not a problem in the home school venue. Regulations and degrees have not helped public schools...What makes them think it will help the home school venue?

If something isn't broken don't fix it. 

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting usmom3:

That is great! So what did the teacher have to say in response to it?

She thinks there ought to be "more stringent legalities then."  But she admitted it should be "okay for elementary kids, but once they get to high school" she hopes we'll send them back to school.

We did move on at that.  But I really enjoyed the answer so much!  I struggle with that because I hate to act as though my education makes me "qualified" because I have seen so many women just have children who thrive in homeschooling and no education degree is necessary!  I'm never sure how to answer that question!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 10:14 AM
2 moms liked this

Oh My Goodness.  Yes!!!  Yes!!! There was so much to unlearn!

As a former teacher realizing that some think I am negating their degree by teaching my kids has completely blown my mind over the past few years.  I simply couldn't fathom it for such a long time.  I guess I'm more repeating it to myself.  Verbalizing it helps me touch it, if that makes sense.

Quoting romacox:

Thank you for your kind response, Bluerooffarm.  I do understand the mindset.

But I have a degree, and honestly: I had to unlearn much of what I was taught in college  in order to succeed.  Degrees are necessary for some fields, but nothing beats experience. 

P.S. If I had allowed my degree to prevent me from learning from non-degree-holding home educators, the loss would have been mine.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Oh Roma, I don't think it's about helping the homeschool venue, for her especially I think it's about feeling her degree is worth something.  I think the argument in her mind subconsciously goes something like this:  If a homeschool student can outperform a public school student, then what good am I?  Then the thoughts HAVE to move onto other facets.... socialization, group work, why parents don't just want to do what "everyone else does."  So she bases things on what she hears (in her case completely ignoring the multiple families in her own community who homeschool) she hears that people homeschool for fundamentalist Christian ideals.  She hears about the uglier sides where parents aren't homeschooling but just using the homeschooling laws to circumvent sending their abused children into public.  When assimilated without any of the evidence of those around her (which she can whisk away with the idea that these are the "good ones," then she feels the need to "save" those children.  

This is just my take on her thought processes, but her words kind of lead me to believe that this is an acurate depiction of her beliefs about homeschooling.

Quoting romacox:

Independent studies show that home educated children outperform public schooled children in college, and in college entrance exams. College professors complain that children (from the public schools) arrive at college unable to do basic math, or to read at grade level  So the evidence is clear  that degrees are not a problem in the home school venue. Regulations and degrees have not helped public schools...What makes them think it will help the home school venue?

If something isn't broken don't fix it. 

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting usmom3:

That is great! So what did the teacher have to say in response to it?

She thinks there ought to be "more stringent legalities then."  But she admitted it should be "okay for elementary kids, but once they get to high school" she hopes we'll send them back to school.

We did move on at that.  But I really enjoyed the answer so much!  I struggle with that because I hate to act as though my education makes me "qualified" because I have seen so many women just have children who thrive in homeschooling and no education degree is necessary!  I'm never sure how to answer that question!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 10:16 AM

Gottcha.  Rude is a way of life at our church.  It bothers me a lot.  We came for the great things they do, but some of their attitudes are sad.

Quoting jen2150: I firmly believe it is not what you say as much as how you say it. I love educating others on homeschooling but not if they are rude. I have no problems answering questions but they need to be asked correctly. I am not a rude person but I won't take it from anyone. I completely understand what you are saying.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

jen2150
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 10:51 AM
1 mom liked this
It would bother me as well. I fear they would probably ask me not come back. LOL One great thing about this group you have friends here that understand. I am the type of person that gets upset easily but I can't stay mad if I wanted to. I try and tell myself that some people just don't understand and really the problem is all theirs. It is really sad. Maybe one day you will change their mind. I few years back I met a man in a restaurant. He asked me if I homeschooled. He said 5 years ago he would have told me I was horrible for homeschooling. Then his sister started homeschooling and after a few years he saw the difference it made in their kid's lives. He totally changed his opinion on things. People can change their opinions if they have an open mind.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Gottcha.  Rude is a way of life at our church.  It bothers me a lot.  We came for the great things they do, but some of their attitudes are sad.

Quoting jen2150: I firmly believe it is not what you say as much as how you say it. I love educating others on homeschooling but not if they are rude. I have no problems answering questions but they need to be asked correctly. I am not a rude person but I won't take it from anyone. I completely understand what you are saying.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 11:49 AM
1 mom liked this

That's my hope.  I know that an aunt and my MIL were totally 100% against it, but now they like to tell people the kids are homeschooled.  They brag on the kids all the time.  So I do know minds can be changed, just not all of them!  LOL

Quoting jen2150: It would bother me as well. I fear they would probably ask me not come back. LOL One great thing about this group you have friends here that understand. I am the type of person that gets upset easily but I can't stay mad if I wanted to. I try and tell myself that some people just don't understand and really the problem is all theirs. It is really sad. Maybe one day you will change their mind. I few years back I met a man in a restaurant. He asked me if I homeschooled. He said 5 years ago he would have told me I was horrible for homeschooling. Then his sister started homeschooling and after a few years he saw the difference it made in their kid's lives. He totally changed his opinion on things. People can change their opinions if they have an open mind.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 7:51 PM
1 mom liked this

good

SarahinWA
by Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 10:53 PM
Quoting Jen2150: "He said 5 years ago he would have told me I was horrible for homeschooling. Then his sister started homeschooling and after a few years he saw the difference it made in their kid's lives. He totally changed his opinion on things." I can completely identify! My FIL thought it was bizarre that I was homeschooled. Within the past year, he and MIL have gotten to know a family in their church who homeschools. We were worried about how they would react when we told them we were going to be homeschooling. Instead of being negative about it, they were thrilled!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)