Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New to Homeschooling!

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2014 at 8:42 PM
  • 12 Replies
1 mom liked this

Hello, I'm new to the group and new to homeschooling ;) I'm looking to start my son homeschooling next year and was wondering what kind of schedules do you have your children on? What kind of activities do you include in your daily routine?  Music, art and such? My son will be in the 3rd garde :) Also, do you do report cards and such? Thanks

by on Feb. 17, 2014 at 8:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PurpleCupcake
by Cynthia on Feb. 18, 2014 at 6:16 AM

First what are your state laws? 

romacox
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 7:00 AM

Welcome LoveMyKids 0613,

The following article will help you with your State Laws, Methods used by home educators, grade level requirements, and more.

How To Home School

Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 12:37 PM
Our schedule concentrates in the main subjects from Monday-Thursday. On Friday we will take any tests we have and then do our elective subjects.
We started doing report cards this year. It's mainly for our records and for daddy to see how things are going.
ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 1:03 PM

We do reading, spelling, writing, math, science, French (her daddy does this on the weekends) and then other (calendar, art, music, etc).

We do school Mon - Fri most weeks with a little work on the weekends here and there.  We usually do not do more than 2 hrs a day, unless I add something like watching a show like Magic School Bus or something about other countries etc.

I don't really plan that much because I'm using programs that are already planned out for me.  I do however plan days like holidays or other special days (like 100 days of school) when doing a theme.

I track what we did each day and the amount of time spent in each area as well as the number of days we've been in school.  I just use loose leaf paper in a binder and then 3 hole punch any worksheets she did that day behind the main tracking page.

LoveMyKids0613
by Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 1:36 PM

We are in VA and according to our law we just have to provide a curriculum and at the end of the year he takes a test. I'm not sure of any other requirements at this point

jen2150
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 3:06 PM
Where in VA? We are in VA as well. My schedule really varies from day to day.

Quoting LoveMyKids0613:

We are in VA and according to our law we just have to provide a curriculum and at the end of the year he takes a test. I'm not sure of any other requirements at this point

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Feb. 18, 2014 at 5:41 PM
2 moms liked this

We don't do report cards, because they are intended to let parents know how their child is doing in school ,with homeschool you would already know. We don't do grading because we don't move on to another subject until my kids have mastered the current one - so they'd always get an A. We only do a couple of hours of school each day, but we see learning as a 24-7 endeavor!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 6:21 PM

This:

Quoting KickButtMama:

We don't do report cards, because they are intended to let parents know how their child is doing in school ,with homeschool you would already know. We don't do grading because we don't move on to another subject until my kids have mastered the current one - so they'd always get an A. We only do a couple of hours of school each day, but we see learning as a 24-7 endeavor!

LoveMyKids0613
by Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 8:59 PM

Hampton Roads :) 

Quoting jen2150: Where in VA? We are in VA as well. My schedule really varies from day to day.

Quoting LoveMyKids0613:

Bleacher-mom
by Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 12:33 AM
1 mom liked this
Welcome to both!
My kids are 10 and 7. What I do for our schedule is I will spend a week or so before the school year going over their books, deciding what subjects to do on what days, how many pages of their school books they need to do every day to be done by summer and what extras they want to do. We don't do every subject every day. As much as I would like to keep to a strict schedule, we usually just follow a routine and as long as they get every thing done for the day before they go to bed, I'm happy with that.
I don't do report cards or even grades. If the kids get a problem wrong, we go over it again until they get it right. Good luck to you.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)