Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Phonics *sob, sniffle, sob*

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2014 at 8:20 AM
  • 14 Replies

Nico is coming along okay with Phonics Pathways and an eclectic mix of phonics resources/programs. He hates Phonics Pathways though. He wants to learn to read, but PP really IS very dry and tedious.

I have Logic of English Foundations on my short list, but he'd still just barely need Level A, and I'm having a hard time justifying shelling out $140 for that level when he has mastered most of what it teaches (but for rhyming). I could wait until he masters rhyming and then just buy level B... or I could just keep trucking on with what we have... but I really hate that he dislikes the program we have; I want him to have fun with it. I *know* he would have a blast with LOE, as it's right up his alley (kinesthetic, visually appealing), and I really like that it is phonics, spelling, AND handwriting, so I wouldn't need separate programs for each ELA component.

Poor Aimee. Poor, indecisive Aimee.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

by on Feb. 18, 2014 at 8:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 8:26 AM

Just play with rhyming for a week.  I'll bet you could pull him right along and then make the leap to level B!  Shorten the lessons from what you are doing now and really concentrate on rhyming all week.  By Saturday you might be ready to at least make a decision.

celtic77dragon
by Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 8:54 AM

Wow, I didn't realize the LOE Foundations cost so much - and it has like 4 levels. LOE worked so well for my kids. They were older and struggling with reading so I used the LOE Essentials. 

Maybe find a cheap rhyming workbook from scholastic or something?! Does level B cover any of the rhyming?

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 10:28 AM

Well, to be fair, some of the items purchased are used in later levels as well (phonogram cards, tactile cards, etc). I think the only things that need to be purchased again every level are the teacher books and student workbooks.

Quoting celtic77dragon:

Wow, I didn't realize the LOE Foundations cost so much - and it has like 4 levels. LOE worked so well for my kids. They were older and struggling with reading so I used the LOE Essentials. 

Maybe find a cheap rhyming workbook from scholastic or something?! Does level B cover any of the rhyming?

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 10:29 AM

I think we may just do that. I am afraid that he's missing some phonemic awareness skills, though, as he started blending, etc before he had acquired certain necessary awareness skills, so I might just bite the bullet and buy Level A, knowing that I'll be able to use the materials again with my youngest in a couple years.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Just play with rhyming for a week.  I'll bet you could pull him right along and then make the leap to level B!  Shorten the lessons from what you are doing now and really concentrate on rhyming all week.  By Saturday you might be ready to at least make a decision.

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 11:31 AM
When would you be starting Level B? I bet you could catch him up quickly. I made the mistake of buying a lot of now too easy workbooks trying to catch my son up. He was still on a K level in August and is now mostly end of first/beginning to mid second grade level. Once everything clicked he made a big leap. I'd be sobbing too if I didn't have a 3 year old who will be able to use the books
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 11:42 AM

If you can use it later anyway, then it might be worth it.  BUT I still think you could get him ready for B if you choose to go that way.  Which awareness skills are you concerned he hasn't mastered?  Are they reviewed in level B?  I bought a practice workbook for place value for my middle boy.  Then it turned out that Beta reviews it anyway, so it was a bit of a waste, but I'll probably use it for my youngest because it has some really cute cartoons in it.  So maybe waste, maybe not.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I think we may just do that. I am afraid that he's missing some phonemic awareness skills, though, as he started blending, etc before he had acquired certain necessary awareness skills, so I might just bite the bullet and buy Level A, knowing that I'll be able to use the materials again with my youngest in a couple years.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 11:50 AM

He can't cherry pick a sound - if I ask him what begins with the (short) a sound, he won't tell me. He can't/won't rhyme (I'm not sure which one it is - can't or won't). He IS, however, beginning to read - but I've heard the phonemic awareness that he doesn't have will come back to bit him in the butt. Truth be told, I have the feeling he just doesn't want to work on the aforementioned skills - he wants to read, he wants that end result of being able to read, but doesn't care to put in the work necessary to get there.

I *do* feel like he needs to slow down a bit, lest we end up with huge gaps later.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

If you can use it later anyway, then it might be worth it.  BUT I still think you could get him ready for B if you choose to go that way.  Which awareness skills are you concerned he hasn't mastered?  Are they reviewed in level B?  I bought a practice workbook for place value for my middle boy.  Then it turned out that Beta reviews it anyway, so it was a bit of a waste, but I'll probably use it for my youngest because it has some really cute cartoons in it.  So maybe waste, maybe not.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 11:52 AM

Whenever. He's just burning out on PP - he has absolutely no desire to see that book again. I could start it now (preferable) or wait until fall.

I don't want him to miss out on the spelling and handwriting in A, though, so I may just go with A.

Quoting Bluecalm: When would you be starting Level B? I bet you could catch him up quickly. I made the mistake of buying a lot of now too easy workbooks trying to catch my son up. He was still on a K level in August and is now mostly end of first/beginning to mid second grade level. Once everything clicked he made a big leap. I'd be sobbing too if I didn't have a 3 year old who will be able to use the books

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 12:19 PM

Yep, it can come back to bite them in the butt sometimes.  Can he finger stretch a picture word (hold up a finger for each sound that makes up the word- a picture of cheese helps with that because it is only 3 sounds)?  If he has 10 picture cards can he pick out the ones that start with the same sound or end with the same sound?  It might be that he does know it and he's irritated with showing you because he really wants to read, but it might be that he just doesn't have that skill yet.

Does he like reading Dr. Suess or kid poems (Shel Silverstein, Ken Nesbitt, Jack Prelutsky)?  We practiced rhyming by finding the rhymes and then making new rhymes with poems from those authors.  They make some hilarious rhymes!  Levi really just wanted to read, so having him help read the poem and find the rhymes showed me he did understand it, he just didn't want to take the time to show me he understood it.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

He can't cherry pick a sound - if I ask him what begins with the (short) a sound, he won't tell me. He can't/won't rhyme (I'm not sure which one it is - can't or won't). He IS, however, beginning to read - but I've heard the phonemic awareness that he doesn't have will come back to bit him in the butt. Truth be told, I have the feeling he just doesn't want to work on the aforementioned skills - he wants to read, he wants that end result of being able to read, but doesn't care to put in the work necessary to get there.

I *do* feel like he needs to slow down a bit, lest we end up with huge gaps later.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 12:55 PM

He can speak in syllables - I'm not sure what it is about the *sounds* that get him. We've worked on oral blending, which helps with the syllables, but he still isn't able to pick out words with the same beginning/ending sound, unless the word is WRITTEN down (i.e. he can recognize letters visually, but has a hard time discriminating the sounds for some reason, even though he's had his letter sounds down pat for quite some time now).

He isn't much one to sit down and be read aloud to. He enjoys it in very short increments. He enjoys *some* Dr. Suess, but not much. If he had his way, he'd skip right to reading Magic School Bus books; he isn't one to appreciate baby steps, lol.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Yep, it can come back to bite them in the butt sometimes.  Can he finger stretch a picture word (hold up a finger for each sound that makes up the word- a picture of cheese helps with that because it is only 3 sounds)?  If he has 10 picture cards can he pick out the ones that start with the same sound or end with the same sound?  It might be that he does know it and he's irritated with showing you because he really wants to read, but it might be that he just doesn't have that skill yet.

Does he like reading Dr. Suess or kid poems (Shel Silverstein, Ken Nesbitt, Jack Prelutsky)?  We practiced rhyming by finding the rhymes and then making new rhymes with poems from those authors.  They make some hilarious rhymes!  Levi really just wanted to read, so having him help read the poem and find the rhymes showed me he did understand it, he just didn't want to take the time to show me he understood it.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)