Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Just a little sleep deprived vent

Posted by   + Show Post

I am so frustrated and feel so bad for my daughter! I wish I could just call the developmental clinic today and schedule her an appointment. I have to wait a week from today, even though I dropped the questionaire in the mail Sunday because of the holiday. She wants to learn to read so badly! It kills me to watch her struggling to read simple words like Nat as ant and struggle over reading things she's been practicing for weeks! We've been working on the McGuffey's Eclectic Primer for so long, now, and she's only on lesson three. She gets so frustrated when she substitutes words and I ask her to look at the word again.

She told me yesterday that she wants to learn to program mods for Minecraft. I don't know when she'll be able to do that, but I know she can't right now. :( I told her that once she could read better, I'd work on it with her. She immediately wanted to work on her reading again, even though I let the kids have a vacation day yesterday.

I know she understands more complicated things than the primer. I've been reading her things like Little House on the Prairie and Vet Volunteers (she has aspirations to be a vet). I know she understands them perfectly, because I ask her questions as we go and she knows the answers and isn't just parroting the book. She just can't read these things and it kills me to see her struggling so hard and not making much progress.

ETA: I feel like I'm failing her so badly, like there's something I did to cause this.

Feel free to ignore this, I always get emotional when I'm operating on 3 hours of sleep.

by on Feb. 18, 2014 at 11:51 AM
Replies (11-16):
Jilectan
by Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 11:57 PM

Unfortunately, she's barely reading. I don't know if you've seen McGuffey's Eclectic Primer, but it's very basic stuff (The rat and the cat.) I've had a number of people suggest dyslexia and I sent in the paperwork for the development clinic we were referred to by her pediatrician. I just have to wait a week to set the appointment. I'm having a bad day, because I was up most of hte night, got about 3 hours sleep and a 30 minute nap during the day. I'm impatient to get her in, get some kind of assessment so we can figure out something that'll work for her.

Last year, I knew she was struggling. I wanted to send in the paperwork last year, but DH was convinced that we (read me) could figure things out. I told him that if she hadn't made sufficient progress in a year, we were getting her assessed. She hasn't made much progress. So, assessment, it is.

The code.org suggestion was great, btw, KickButtMama. She's working her way through the hour of code, right now, and enjoying it very much.

Quoting terpmama: Could it be dyslexia? Or similar issues? I'm sure there's support for those types of issues. My oldest is the only one remotely ready to read (next kid is 3)... And he's been reading for about a year now (he's 5 and in pre k). He likes having the closed captioning on so he can read along with his favorite shows, maybe that would help?

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 8:38 AM

If your eyesight got bad really fast, get her eyes checked more quickly than they recommend.  Most eye doctors have come to the conclusion in the past 10 years that glasses do not make eyesight worse (allowing the eyes to be "lazy").  They did say the same thing to me (25 years ago) and my eyesight got really really bad over the year between checkups without having glasses.  My grades suffered, I got horrible headaches from the eyestrain, it was really bad.  My son got glasses immediately and had to turn around 6 months later and get stronger glasses.  It really has more to do with the age than with whether or not they have glasses. 

Quoting Jilectan:

We just recently saw her optometrist. She is slightly near sighted, but her doctor recommended against getting glasses for her, right now, since she's homeschooled. She said she would only recommend glasses if she was in public school, because she'd need to see the board more clearly. She said that, if she got glasses right now, there's a good possibility that she would do what I did and her eyesight would get worse really fast. Other than that, she doesn't have any eye problems that her optometrist could detect.

Quoting mem82:

My son had a lot of the same problems. Did you rule out an eye sight problem? That was half of my son's problem.

He just turned nine and honestly, it's only been in the last 8 months that he has started to read. He struggled for years, too. 8(

Jilectan
by Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 4:03 PM

I've been getting her eyes checked every year. Last year, they were 20/20. This time she was just a little near sighted. We'll definitely stay on top of this. I don't want her to need glasses and not have them like my DH did.

ETA: I'm feeling much better today about things, btw. It's amazing what a solid 8 hours  of sleep will do for your perspective!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

If your eyesight got bad really fast, get her eyes checked more quickly than they recommend.  Most eye doctors have come to the conclusion in the past 10 years that glasses do not make eyesight worse (allowing the eyes to be "lazy").  They did say the same thing to me (25 years ago) and my eyesight got really really bad over the year between checkups without having glasses.  My grades suffered, I got horrible headaches from the eyestrain, it was really bad.  My son got glasses immediately and had to turn around 6 months later and get stronger glasses.  It really has more to do with the age than with whether or not they have glasses. 

Quoting Jilectan:

We just recently saw her optometrist. She is slightly near sighted, but her doctor recommended against getting glasses for her, right now, since she's homeschooled. She said she would only recommend glasses if she was in public school, because she'd need to see the board more clearly. She said that, if she got glasses right now, there's a good possibility that she would do what I did and her eyesight would get worse really fast. Other than that, she doesn't have any eye problems that her optometrist could detect.

Quoting mem82:

My son had a lot of the same problems. Did you rule out an eye sight problem? That was half of my son's problem.

He just turned nine and honestly, it's only been in the last 8 months that he has started to read. He struggled for years, too. 8(

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 4:18 PM

It is amazing what sleep can do!  :-)

Quoting Jilectan:

I've been getting her eyes checked every year. Last year, they were 20/20. This time she was just a little near sighted. We'll definitely stay on top of this. I don't want her to need glasses and not have them like my DH did.

ETA: I'm feeling much better today about things, btw. It's amazing what a solid 8 hours  of sleep will do for your perspective!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting Jilectan:

Quoting mem82:

chlippr77
by Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 7:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I had a similar suggestion from my son's eye doctor.  She told me that "he really doesn't need glasses, but if you insist..."  I DID!!!    My son had just finished PreK in PS and the teacher and the "special ed" coordinator said we would probably have to hold him back in kindergarten (the school's policy was to never hold kids back in PreK).  We took him to get glasses and the next year, in kindergarten, he had the second highest test scores in the class.  Teacher & Principle even thought about bumping him up to first grade (he was the oldest in the class and they thought he'd be able to handle it, but he didn't want to leave his friends, so I declined).  That next summer, I had all three of my girls checked, and the Dr. said pretty much the same thing, "she really doesn't need them, but if you insist..." (for all three of them).  I again insisted, and I have never regretted it.   I would advise you to go ahead and get her glasses if she has even the slightest thing wrong.  She could just wear them while reading, but they might make all the difference in the world.  They have for every member of our family.  Good Luck :)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting Jilectan:

Quoting mem82:

Jilectan
by Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 7:57 PM

I don't think she really needs them, yet. We use large print things for her, anyway. We'll test her again in December (that's when her appt was) and see how she's doing then.

Quoting chlippr77:

I had a similar suggestion from my son's eye doctor.  She told me that "he really doesn't need glasses, but if you insist..."  I DID!!!    My son had just finished PreK in PS and the teacher and the "special ed" coordinator said we would probably have to hold him back in kindergarten (the school's policy was to never hold kids back in PreK).  We took him to get glasses and the next year, in kindergarten, he had the second highest test scores in the class.  Teacher & Principle even thought about bumping him up to first grade (he was the oldest in the class and they thought he'd be able to handle it, but he didn't want to leave his friends, so I declined).  That next summer, I had all three of my girls checked, and the Dr. said pretty much the same thing, "she really doesn't need them, but if you insist..." (for all three of them).  I again insisted, and I have never regretted it.   I would advise you to go ahead and get her glasses if she has even the slightest thing wrong.  She could just wear them while reading, but they might make all the difference in the world.  They have for every member of our family.  Good Luck :)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting Jilectan:

Quoting mem82:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)