Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Elemental Science or Ellen McHenry for 7th and 8th grader?

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2014 at 1:37 PM
  • 3 Replies

Planning for next yr and still conflicted about which of these two to order.  I'll be combining Science with my 7th and 8th grader and we will either do Elemental Science -Chemistry, Logic stage or Ellen McHenry - The Elements then Carbon Chemistry following it.

I am concerned that the Ellen McHenry material will not last all year.  I hear great things about it tho.

I like how Elemental Science has a two day a week schedule already planned out for me, as that is how I plan to teach Science next year.

I also plan to take short breaks from chemistyr and learn a little about circuitry using Snap Circuits and supplementing with some SuperCharged Science.com lessons.

Otherwise, both look very solid and not too expensive so either is in the running.

by on Feb. 18, 2014 at 1:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 7:34 PM

I have no idea but I'll be hanging out to see if anyone has some advice. If my now 8th grader decided to stay home, I'll need a good science program.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 11:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Ellen McHenry all the way. It is by far the most comprehensive, rigorous, yet FUN science elementary/middle school curriculum on the market; no expensive lab equipment necessary.

My only caveat would be that you will not be able to use the rest of her curriuclum as your full program in years following - well, not for your 8th grader, once he/she hits high school. At that point he/she will need things she doesn't offer (full year bio program, full year physical science/physics/etc programs), and preferably a math based physics/chemistry program. That's a bummer, lol.

What you COULD do is all three of my favs this upcoming school year - The Brain, The Elements, and Carbon Chemistry. Each takes about 10-12 weeks, dependent on how many of the suggeseted activities you do - so that would cover you for the year, and fits in all MY favorites, lol.

I haven't heard great things about Elemental Science, to be frank, but I'm biased. I used Ellen McHenry with my oldest when she was home, and I can't WAIT to use it with my younger children in a few years.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 9:25 PM

Thanks! So far dd is doing science with ds. I'm working more on her reading/writing and math skills. But if she stays home I want a more in depth science program for her.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Ellen McHenry all the way. It is by far the most comprehensive, rigorous, yet FUN science elementary/middle school curriculum on the market; no expensive lab equipment necessary.

My only caveat would be that you will not be able to use the rest of her curriuclum as your full program in years following - well, not for your 8th grader, once he/she hits high school. At that point he/she will need things she doesn't offer (full year bio program, full year physical science/physics/etc programs), and preferably a math based physics/chemistry program. That's a bummer, lol.

What you COULD do is all three of my favs this upcoming school year - The Brain, The Elements, and Carbon Chemistry. Each takes about 10-12 weeks, dependent on how many of the suggeseted activities you do - so that would cover you for the year, and fits in all MY favorites, lol.

I haven't heard great things about Elemental Science, to be frank, but I'm biased. I used Ellen McHenry with my oldest when she was home, and I can't WAIT to use it with my younger children in a few years.

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN