Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Super new to homeschooling

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2014 at 9:34 PM
  • 16 Replies

Poll

Question: Teach with a curriculum?

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 14

View Results

I recently pulled my daughter out of public school, she was there for about 3 months when we decided it just wasn't for our family. I am still struggling on how to teach her I live in FLorida and I am finding that I am being rushed to teach her things, I have notice I am becoming very hard on her because she is just not getting what they expect me to teach her. Any advice on where to start? I was told not to start a cirriculum with her as she is only 5 (6 in May), so how do I teach her?

by on Feb. 18, 2014 at 9:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kmath
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 9:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Who has these expectations?  There isn't anything that is required to teach in FL.  I wouldn't do a rigorous curric unless that is what she wants.  You can find workbooks if she likes them, play games, read books, use websites, or just about anything at that age. 

amyjane22
by on Feb. 18, 2014 at 10:03 PM

When I homeschooled my kindergartner, I didn't use a curriculum.  I researched what most kids should know by the end of kindergarten, then added to it.  I used workbooks from dollar tree as well as worksheets and ideas online.  

However, if you are more comfortable with a curriculum, then by all means, use one.  Once you start, you'll get the feel for what works and what doesn't.

New-mom-3-2008
by New Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 10:05 PM

I was told by a women that works for the school board here in panama city that I am required to send them a portfolio of her progression and if she isnt on par with the rest of the state for her age they will place her in public school anyways. She loves to be read to but we still have succeeded in her actually reading she is having a hard time with that but she loves playing games and she wants to learn so much that isnt stae mandated. They also said she will be tested yearly to check her progress. 

New-mom-3-2008
by New Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 10:07 PM

I don't want a curriculum at all she doesn't do well with schedule or pressure, she does do well with patience and learning at her own pace.

kmath
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 10:10 PM
2 moms liked this

Nope, not required.  You have to have a yearly evaluation (if you don't go the charter school route), You are required to keep a reading log and have 180 days of school.  You are NOT required to show anyone your log unless they request it in writing.  You can either have them tested or you can have a qualified evaluator do an evaluation, no testing.  There is NOTHING mandated about what has to be taught in FL.  Look into homeschool groups in your area.  And make sure you read the actual FL laws, because you are being lied to!

Keep reading to her, work on site words with her, she will get to reading on her own eventually.  Most kids that age just aren't ready to read.  If she wants to learn something, help her to learn it.  Look it up online and you will probably find a ton of ideas to work with. 

Quoting New-mom-3-2008:

I was told by a women that works for the school board here in panama city that I am required to send them a portfolio of her progression and if she isnt on par with the rest of the state for her age they will place her in public school anyways. She loves to be read to but we still have succeeded in her actually reading she is having a hard time with that but she loves playing games and she wants to learn so much that isnt stae mandated. They also said she will be tested yearly to check her progress. 

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Feb. 18, 2014 at 10:33 PM

I suggest checking out www.time4learning.com and www.letteroftheweek.com

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Feb. 18, 2014 at 10:34 PM

Over the 6 years I have been hsing, I have used a variety of methods and resources.  I've learned that as my kids grow, their needs change. 

At your DD's age  I used a lot of hands on things.  Magnetic letters and words, a whiteboard, we read lots of books, played games, things like that.  Bob books are fun for that age.  We also did a lot of Montessori type things.

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 11:21 PM

I am putting together a curriculum for my 4 yo for this fall.  It's going to have everything he enjoys in it, along with what I think he should know.  It will have Math In Focus K, we are going to use it over two years.  Beautiful Feet American History Primary, we are going to use it over the next four years.  Elemental Exploring Science for PK, going to use it this year.  Lots of reading and arts and crafts, play time and what ever else my son wants to do.  My son doesn't officially have to start K until he is 6 since he has a late birthday, but he is ready for some now.  So yes I use curriculum but I pull together and go at my son's pace.

romacox
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 6:11 AM
1 mom liked this

I am in Florida.  The Florida Parent Educators  Association, spells out the State Laws, gives you sample "Letters Of Intent",  Portfolio, and more. 

FPEA  also provides you a list (with contact information) of support groups.  They are important, (1) because some school districts are writing their own home school laws....the support groups tell you how to handle this  if your district does so.  (2) support groups provide lesson co-ops, field trips and how to find an evaluator who is also a home school mom (very important not to use just any teacher as an evaluator)..

How To Home School

Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 9:01 AM

i'm in the build-my-own camp with many pieces that a typical school would use, but then lots of free stuff on line, lots of local resources, and some pieces specific to the homeschool market that I think regular schools wouldn't generally use.

When I started this, I was very worried about feeling like i had to force learning and force seat work and the potential for arguments and resistance. So I really took to heart a lot of unschooling philosophies and truly believe it does not matter what you learn when and I should not force a typical school-looking workbook or worksheet at the expense of something my son wants to do, like reading or a hands on project, instead.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)