Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

coloring

Posted by on Feb. 19, 2014 at 4:28 PM
  • 11 Replies
1 mom liked this
My son doesn't like to color, I mean he won't doesn't has no desire to color. He is four almost five and if he isn't building, destroying, role playing, or climbing he has no interest.

Should I be worried/work on coloring with him? Is it something that is a need?
by on Feb. 19, 2014 at 4:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 4:38 PM

Nope, not a need!  My hubby and my middle son both hated coloring.  My middle loves to draw, but hates to color what other people have drawn.  Apparently my hubby hated to color and it never hindered him in the least.  Most PS like to have them color for practice with fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination, but you can see that in other ways since you'll have plenty of one on one time with him.

usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 19, 2014 at 4:43 PM

Nope! My younger 2 never got into coloring but love to draw! Coloring is not a requirement!

Molimomma
by Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 4:55 PM

I was wondering too. My son is not a fan of coloring(he's 4) and I was a little worried because I know it is sort of considered a fine motor skill. I've been telling myself not to worry about it since he CAN write his name, use scissors, etc but this and the comments make me feel much better!

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 4:55 PM

What are his interests?  I wouldn't be worried that he's not into those things, all of my kids are different from each other and in some way or other different from what "they" say ALL kids do.  :)

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 9:22 PM

Your ds sounds just like mine at that age,lol.

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 10:52 AM
1 mom liked this
My youngest hates coloring,always has. Its a nightmare to get him to do geography work that assumes kids love coloring all those countries and states. He's 11, and sometimes he'll offer to pay his sister to do his maps lol. He finds it pointless and boring.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 11:37 AM

Quoting Leissaintexas: My youngest hates coloring,always has. Its a nightmare to get him to do geography work that assumes kids love coloring all those countries and states. He's 11, and sometimes he'll offer to pay his sister to do his maps lol. He finds it pointless and boring.

LOL!  What an business!  I love it!  My oldest started paying my middle boy to draw his history journal work in October.  We no longer do the journal work, but I thought it was great.

redhead-bedhead
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 11:40 AM
1 mom liked this
It's a good way to teach economics.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting Leissaintexas: My youngest hates coloring,always has. Its a nightmare to get him to do geography work that assumes kids love coloring all those countries and states. He's 11, and sometimes he'll offer to pay his sister to do his maps lol. He finds it pointless and boring.

LOL!  What an business!  I love it!  My oldest started paying my middle boy to draw his history journal work in October.  We no longer do the journal work, but I thought it was great.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 11:58 AM

It was great.  They bartered and paid cash.  What great lessons they learned.  But then of course, I shut it down, simply because it was no longer doing what it needed to do which was to see what history they were learning.  But I let it last longer than I would have if it hadn't taught a bunch of other stuff I never could have forseen.

Quoting redhead-bedhead: It's a good way to teach economics.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

katyq
by Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 12:01 PM

My almos 4yo has no interest in coloring either. I just don't buy coloring books. He does live to paint and do crafts though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)