Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm new to homeschooling and I need a bit more info on how to even start

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2014 at 2:08 AM
  • 5 Replies
1 mom liked this

I'm new to this whole homeschooling thing, I was in private schools and private when little and they ducked, it was horrible I learned more from internet and books and magazines and news than I ever did in school. So I want my child to have the best of the best education, he is 3 he just turned 3 last month I want to research more on what should I do and where to start, I live in IN and I read I should read the laws of the state, it said I need to sign a homeschool enrollment sheet. Do I need to sign or fill any forms? How do I go about building his curriculum and books and such? Can anyone break it all down for me I want to be prepared and ready for before he starts school. Please any advise of info?

by on Feb. 20, 2014 at 2:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
romacox
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 2:10 PM
2 moms liked this

Hi Sirime,

You are going to do just fine...the best way to eat an elephant is one step at a time.  I just posited an answer to your question at this link.

oahoah
by Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 8:47 PM
1 mom liked this

welcome to the group & good for you wanting to homeschool! You said you read your state laws so you can just build your curriculum around what is required for your state; you might look into a support group where you can meet other homeschoolers which has helped me the most. I think reading and having fun, playing are some of the most important things for little kids. My oldest is 9, then I have a 6 and 4y/o (all boys) and I learned the hard way by pushing my oldest to "do school" (we started out doing school at home) that it was the worst mistake I could've made. We are enjoying learning more about Charlotte Mason and her philosophy of education and have found that I have naturally gravitated towards that type of learning on my own (reading good books and having the kids narrate back), nature/picture/art/music study. 

It's easy to get overwhelmed when you are starting out and even later on but just remember your basic reasons and enjoy the time with your son!

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 10:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the group! It's a good thing you're researching now. By the time he starts, you'll be ready :-)

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 9:13 AM
Welcome!!! I went to my first homeschool expo when dd was 18 mo and have gone ever yr since. See if you have one in your area!!
Sirime
by New Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 12:22 PM

Oh wow I didn't know they had such a thing! I'll look it up for sure thank you! 

Quoting ablackdolphin: Welcome!!! I went to my first homeschool expo when dd was 18 mo and have gone ever yr since. See if you have one in your area!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)