Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Jury Duty

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2014 at 8:51 PM
  • 9 Replies

MY DH & I both got jury summons a day apart in March (his is the 19th and mine is the 20th).  Not sure if we should both ask for dismissal on grounds of hardship or just one of us or cross our fingers & hope our numbers don't get called.  He only has 1 vacation day he can take if needed but what if we both get called? Have any of you had jury duty? The last time we were called was about 3 years ago and it happened to fall on his day off so it worked out alright. Does anyone know if there are homeschool exemptions? Thakns for your advice.

by on Feb. 20, 2014 at 8:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 9:05 PM

I called when I was homeschooling and simply asked who will take care of my kids when I'm on jury duty? They told me not to worry. They'd mark me down as hardship.

I actually enjoy jury duty btw. So I was like ooooh maaan!

JadeTigr7
by Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 9:22 PM

I have no clue.  We can't do jury duty because my husband's in the army.  Be kind of hard to drive to FL just to be on a jury.

usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 20, 2014 at 9:37 PM

There are usually guide lines about who can be excused. Here in Texas you can be excused from it if you have children under the age of 12 & have no one to care for them so you can serve!

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 10:27 PM

I'd just call and explain.

Jilectan
by Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 11:52 PM

Last time I got summoned, I just claimed hardship exemption due to lack of child care and breastfeeding. I haven't heard back from them since. This was when my 7 year old was 4 months old, so it's been awhile.

Before I had kids, I was called in twice and just went in. I wasn't selected. I might have enjoyed it at that time.

If I were you, I'd just claim hardship due to lack of child care for one of you, just in case.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 21, 2014 at 10:43 AM
Sorry, I won't be much help. Never been called for jury duty. Good luck though.
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Feb. 22, 2014 at 10:13 AM
In CA, the exemption is only for kids under 5yo. Even though we homeschool, I got called in for three days. I was told to find childcare. Luckily for us, my parents live close and love to come hang with the kids.
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Feb. 22, 2014 at 2:18 PM
I would have at least one of you ask for the hardship. It's weird you both got called, what are the chances? My DH just got a summons today, he is upset about it...he has NEVER voted or registered to vote so he thinks he shouldn't be called at all (he says that's how you get on the juror list, by registering to vote...I'm not sure about how it happens, but he usually knows this stuff).
collinsmommy0
by Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 5:01 PM
1 mom liked this
Pretty sure it's related to the dmv actually - when you register your car your name is put in the possible jurors box.

I'm in Cali, when I had a 6 month old & no childcare I called and was told 'too bad, you may still get called, you cannot bring the baby.' Then I told them I would have to pump, and would need a private space that is not a bathroom to pump in, preferably also a fridge to store my milk in.....they took my name off the list because they couldn't guarantee me a private area to pump.

Quoting TJandKarasMom: I would have at least one of you ask for the hardship. It's weird you both got called, what are the chances? My DH just got a summons today, he is upset about it...he has NEVER voted or registered to vote so he thinks he shouldn't be called at all (he says that's how you get on the juror list, by registering to vote...I'm not sure about how it happens, but he usually knows this stuff).
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN