Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Ot~Should the government dictate what you name your child?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Do you agree with the name bans?

Options:

Yes. A child shouldn't have to live with a name because their parents are idiots.

No. As silly as those names are, it's a parents right to name their child.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 30

View Results

Mexican State Bans 61 Baby Names Including Scrotum, Hitler, Facebook, Burger King

Posted: Updated: 
Print Article
Main Entry Image

(Reuters) - What's in a name? In northwestern Mexico, officials say potentially a lifetime of bullying, so parents in the state of Sonora can no longer opt to name their children Scrotum, Terminator, USNAVY or Facebook.

The 61 banned names include technology-inspired monikers like Twitter and Yahoo, fictional characters Harry Potter, James Bond and Rambo and surgical terms like Circumcision.

Children will also be spared being dubbed Virgin, Hitler, Email, Burger King, Christmas Day, Robocop and Rolling Stone.

"It's about protecting children," said Cristina Ramirez, the director of Sonora's Civil Registry. "We want to make sure children's names don't get them bullied in school."

Ramirez anticipates the list will expand in future as officials discover more objectionable names.

(Reporting by Julia Symmes Cobb; Editing by Simon Gardner and Cynthia Osterman)

by on Feb. 20, 2014 at 10:22 PM
Replies (11-20):
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 10:38 AM

I feel like it's a slippery slope though. Yeah those are bad names but who gets to decide? I named my daughhter after a season,lol. And Harry Potter? I don't see the problem with that name at all.

Quoting Kaya529: I am on the fence about this. Things like scrotum and Hitler I get why they would do that but naming a kid after a character in a book seems a little overboard. There are so many people that name kids after characters in books and movies or historical people and musicians. Why would it be illegal to name a kid Harry Potter but not Ender?

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 10:40 AM

Isn't that what we do now? We have to call our children something, so we name them. Then once their of legal age, they can choose their own name or keep the one they have.

Quoting usmom3:

I didn't vote because I don't think it is right for the government to make those stipulations but on the other hand I don't think it is a parents right to name their child it is just something they do because we all need to have a name. I personally think that every child should be able to chose their own name once they are of legal age.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 10:42 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree. Parents need to stop being so controlling over their kids and let them make mistakes. The way I look at it, natural consequences (barring injury) is how we learn the best.

Quoting usmom3:

This would not even be a problem if children where give some control of their lives as children so they can make the stupid mistakes then on small things instead of the big important things later as adults. Besides if you hate your name you can legally change it when you are an adult, I know because I considered changing mine when I was younger!

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 10:43 AM

Very true.

Quoting hwblyf:

Ok, I'm pro-choice.  Truly.  But why name your kids something horrendous?  I don't see how outlawing stupidity really makes it go away, though.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 10:45 AM

In that case I'd hope like hell the kid went by a nickname,lol.

Quoting KickButtMama:

I'm afraid I'm having trouble forming an opinion while thinking of being introduced to someone named scrotum.....hehehe

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 10:48 AM

In that case, I say the child can always go by another name. My son chose to change his name when he was 2. His grandma still calls him by his given name but everyone else knows him as Bubba.

Quoting mrs.hartman12:

I am on the fence. Some of those names could seriously cause a child mental distress as they get older and are aware of their name.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 10:48 AM

I have no idea.

Quoting mrs.hartman12:

Although whats wrong with Harry Potter, James Bond and even Rambo?

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 10:49 AM
1 mom liked this

Well said!

Quoting kirbymom: This is just crazy. No. The government should never be allowed to stop an adult from naming their child. I have a somewhat normal name and I was made fun of through out my childhood because. of it. Did I like that? No. Did I come home crying and asking why kids could be so mean? Yes. Did I understand it? No. But I made it through my childhood. Do I have some residual effects from that? Meh. Probably. Do I let that control my life and my decisions? For the majority, no, I don't believe so. The whole deal with growing and maturing into adulthood is to realize that as you become the afult, you put down the processes of childhood and pick up the processes of thinking and behaving as an adult. History has shown that trying to make so many diverse personalities think exactly alike just does not work.
I don't think that stupidity should be allowed to be passed on but who am I to decide for someone else what the defining thoughts/definitions of what stupid really means?

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

Mandallyn
by Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 12:01 PM
I don't think parents have a right to screw with their children's well-being by naming them things like Burger King and Scrotum. Parents have a right to raise their children, but those children are not property. So I can't agree that parents should be allowed to name their children in ways that will guaranteed harassment just because they can.
usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 21, 2014 at 12:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Most people don't think to change their names if they don't like it. I believe that it has more to do with the fact that most don't realize that it is an option because so few actually do it because it is not considered an acceptable thing in our culture! When I was considering changing my name I got a lot of grief from people about how it was an insult to my parents to change the name they chose for me! That is not why I did not changeit, I chose not to change it because I had no clue what I did want my name to be! The fact is though that people where uncomfortable with the fact that I was not happy with my name & wanted to make me feel bad about not liking it even though the reason I did not like it was because people constantly made fun of me about it!

Quoting paganbaby:

Isn't that what we do now? We have to call our children something, so we name them. Then once their of legal age, they can choose their own name or keep the one they have.

Quoting usmom3:

I didn't vote because I don't think it is right for the government to make those stipulations but on the other hand I don't think it is a parents right to name their child it is just something they do because we all need to have a name. I personally think that every child should be able to chose their own name once they are of legal age.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN