Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Ot~Should the government dictate what you name your child?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Do you agree with the name bans?

Options:

Yes. A child shouldn't have to live with a name because their parents are idiots.

No. As silly as those names are, it's a parents right to name their child.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 30

View Results

Mexican State Bans 61 Baby Names Including Scrotum, Hitler, Facebook, Burger King

Posted: Updated: 
Print Article
Main Entry Image

(Reuters) - What's in a name? In northwestern Mexico, officials say potentially a lifetime of bullying, so parents in the state of Sonora can no longer opt to name their children Scrotum, Terminator, USNAVY or Facebook.

The 61 banned names include technology-inspired monikers like Twitter and Yahoo, fictional characters Harry Potter, James Bond and Rambo and surgical terms like Circumcision.

Children will also be spared being dubbed Virgin, Hitler, Email, Burger King, Christmas Day, Robocop and Rolling Stone.

"It's about protecting children," said Cristina Ramirez, the director of Sonora's Civil Registry. "We want to make sure children's names don't get them bullied in school."

Ramirez anticipates the list will expand in future as officials discover more objectionable names.

(Reporting by Julia Symmes Cobb; Editing by Simon Gardner and Cynthia Osterman)

by on Feb. 20, 2014 at 10:22 PM
Replies (21-30):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 4:07 PM

Do you remember on the Cosby Show, Theo's best friend was "cockroach".  We were watching the news when a woman was interviewed and her last name was roach.  I told my parents that if I married a man with the last name roach, I would totally name my child c*#k so that he could be cockroach.  Then my parents told me what c0ck meant.  Yikes!

Okay anyway, I DID end up naming my children after  fictional characters, I see nothing wrong with THAT, but naming them something that is going to cause so much mental anguish?  Crappy parents!  Also I agree that you can't really outlaw stupidity.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 11:14 PM

That's hilarious!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Do you remember on the Cosby Show, Theo's best friend was "cockroach".  We were watching the news when a woman was interviewed and her last name was roach.  I told my parents that if I married a man with the last name roach, I would totally name my child c*#k so that he could be cockroach.  Then my parents told me what c0ck meant.  Yikes!

Okay anyway, I DID end up naming my children after  fictional characters, I see nothing wrong with THAT, but naming them something that is going to cause so much mental anguish?  Crappy parents!  Also I agree that you can't really outlaw stupidity.

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Feb. 22, 2014 at 10:23 AM
I see both sides of this one. I voted yes, they should step in, but not for all the names on the list. Naming the child a curse word should not be allowed, or after private parts, etc.

I have a very normal first name and was teased horribly in school amd still cringe when some adults make dumb jokes. Now, I have no problem putting them in their pkace and people only do it once. As a child, I went with the "just ignore them and they will go away" and I tell ya, it did not! I was.just too much the good girl to make an issue of it and I should have.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 22, 2014 at 10:55 AM
1 mom liked this

Yeah, my parents were horrified at the time, but now it's hilarious and they love to tell people all about it!

Quoting paganbaby:

That's hilarious!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

SarahNElijah
by Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 11:20 AM
When I was opening the post, my first thought was "No way!" but after reading through the names they outlawed, I am not sure... I definitely think things like Harry Potter, James Bond or Rambo should be okay, but the rest.. :-/ I think I might actually be okay with them banning those, as long as the law specified those only, so it is not up to the discretion of a judge to decide later good vs. bad..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 12:48 PM

I feel that the govenment should only step in when children are being abused. Is a name abusive? I don't think so. Mabey a bit messed up but not abusive. Then where does it end? Once you give them the right to ban ~these~ names, it opens the door for them to start banning other names and other things. I could just see it snowballing from there. 

Quoting SarahNElijah: When I was opening the post, my first thought was "No way!" but after reading through the names they outlawed, I am not sure... I definitely think things like Harry Potter, James Bond or Rambo should be okay, but the rest.. :-/ I think I might actually be okay with them banning those, as long as the law specified those only, so it is not up to the discretion of a judge to decide later good vs. bad..

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

SarahNElijah
by Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 1:01 PM
I agree, but I really think some of those names are border-line abusive.. :-/

Quoting paganbaby:

I feel that the govenment should only step in when children are being abused. Is a name abusive? I don't think so. Mabey a bit messed up but not abusive. Then where does it end? Once you give them the right to ban ~these~ names, it opens the door for them to start banning other names and other things. I could just see it snowballing from there. 

Quoting SarahNElijah: When I was opening the post, my first thought was "No way!" but after reading through the names they outlawed, I am not sure... I definitely think things like Harry Potter, James Bond or Rambo should be okay, but the rest.. :-/ I think I might actually be okay with them banning those, as long as the law specified those only, so it is not up to the discretion of a judge to decide later good vs. bad..

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 1:03 PM

Oh I'm with you. I think if those parents like them so much they can change their own name to them. But agh, the slippery slope.

Quoting SarahNElijah: I agree, but I really think some of those names are border-line abusive.. :-/

Quoting paganbaby:

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

Jilectan
by Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 2:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Totally agree. I actually chose my first two kids names with that in mind. My son has a slightly less common first name and a common middle name (James) and my daughter is the same (middle name Linda). I figured if they didn't want to use their less common first name, they could use their middle name.

Quoting paganbaby:

In that case, I say the child can always go by another name. My son chose to change his name when he was 2. His grandma still calls him by his given name but everyone else knows him as Bubba.

Quoting mrs.hartman12:

I am on the fence. Some of those names could seriously cause a child mental distress as they get older and are aware of their name.

TidewaterClan
by on Feb. 23, 2014 at 3:03 PM

I can't imagine people naming their children some of these names, but I agree it's dangerous to choose who gets to decide.  

When we were thinking of baby names I would think of something beautiful, and dh found all kinds of odd things to rhyme those with.  Most of which I'd never have thought of!  We narrowed it down to the (hopefully!) whoopin' free names. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)