Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Ot~Should the government dictate what you name your child?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Do you agree with the name bans?

Options:

Yes. A child shouldn't have to live with a name because their parents are idiots.

No. As silly as those names are, it's a parents right to name their child.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 30

View Results

Mexican State Bans 61 Baby Names Including Scrotum, Hitler, Facebook, Burger King

Posted: Updated: 
Print Article
Main Entry Image

(Reuters) - What's in a name? In northwestern Mexico, officials say potentially a lifetime of bullying, so parents in the state of Sonora can no longer opt to name their children Scrotum, Terminator, USNAVY or Facebook.

The 61 banned names include technology-inspired monikers like Twitter and Yahoo, fictional characters Harry Potter, James Bond and Rambo and surgical terms like Circumcision.

Children will also be spared being dubbed Virgin, Hitler, Email, Burger King, Christmas Day, Robocop and Rolling Stone.

"It's about protecting children," said Cristina Ramirez, the director of Sonora's Civil Registry. "We want to make sure children's names don't get them bullied in school."

Ramirez anticipates the list will expand in future as officials discover more objectionable names.

(Reporting by Julia Symmes Cobb; Editing by Simon Gardner and Cynthia Osterman)

by on Feb. 20, 2014 at 10:22 PM
Replies (31-40):
TidewaterClan
by on Feb. 23, 2014 at 3:05 PM

That's right up there with showing people goofy baby/childhood pics!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Yeah, my parents were horrified at the time, but now it's hilarious and they love to tell people all about it!

Quoting paganbaby:

That's hilarious!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Do you remember on the Cosby Show, Theo's best friend was "cockroach".  We were watching the news when a woman was interviewed and her last name was roach.  I told my parents that if I married a man with the last name roach, I would totally name my child c*#k so that he could be cockroach.  Then my parents told me what c0ck meant.  Yikes!

Okay anyway, I DID end up naming my children after  fictional characters, I see nothing wrong with THAT, but naming them something that is going to cause so much mental anguish?  Crappy parents!  Also I agree that you can't really outlaw stupidity.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 4:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Yep, too true!

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Yeah, my parents were horrified at the time, but now it's hilarious and they love to tell people all about it!

Quoting paganbaby:

That's hilarious!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Do you remember on the Cosby Show, Theo's best friend was "cockroach".  We were watching the news when a woman was interviewed and her last name was roach.  I told my parents that if I married a man with the last name roach, I would totally name my child c*#k so that he could be cockroach.  Then my parents told me what c0ck meant.  Yikes!

Okay anyway, I DID end up naming my children after  fictional characters, I see nothing wrong with THAT, but naming them something that is going to cause so much mental anguish?  Crappy parents!  Also I agree that you can't really outlaw stupidity.

JulietAngel89
by on Feb. 23, 2014 at 4:50 PM

What if you had the last name Potter and you wanted to name the baby after a grandfather or something like Harry?

SarahNElijah
by Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 9:10 PM
1 mom liked this
LOL! That is so funny! :)

My last name is Langhorne, so when my brother was born my dad suggested 'Foghorn Langhorne'..
And Frodo.. :-b My dad is goofy though. :)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jenn8604
by Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 9:12 PM
I'm naming my next one Hakuna Matata.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 9:12 PM

Right? Harry and potter aren't such a-typical names.

Quoting JulietAngel89:

What if you had the last name Potter and you wanted to name the baby after a grandfather or something like Harry?

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 9:13 PM

laughing

Quoting Jenn8604: I'm naming my next in Hakuna Matata.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 9:14 PM
1 mom liked this

That's funny,lol.

Quoting SarahNElijah: LOL! That is so funny! :)

My last name is Langhorne, so when my brother was born my dad suggested 'Foghorn Langhorne'..
And Frodo.. :-b My dad is goofy though. :)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 9:15 PM

I know right? lol

My mom has a super embarassing one of me and my sister naked in the closet yelling Boo! We're like 2 and 4,lol.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting paganbaby:

That's hilarious!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

Jenn8604
by Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 9:17 PM
When I introduce it and say meet Hakuna Matata and I am asked why did you name it that I will sing my answer." It means no worries for the rest of your days. It's our problem free philosophy."

Quoting paganbaby:

laughing

Quoting Jenn8604: I'm naming my next in Hakuna Matata.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN