Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Ot~Should the government dictate what you name your child?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Do you agree with the name bans?

Options:

Yes. A child shouldn't have to live with a name because their parents are idiots.

No. As silly as those names are, it's a parents right to name their child.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 30

View Results

Mexican State Bans 61 Baby Names Including Scrotum, Hitler, Facebook, Burger King

Posted: Updated: 
Print Article
Main Entry Image

(Reuters) - What's in a name? In northwestern Mexico, officials say potentially a lifetime of bullying, so parents in the state of Sonora can no longer opt to name their children Scrotum, Terminator, USNAVY or Facebook.

The 61 banned names include technology-inspired monikers like Twitter and Yahoo, fictional characters Harry Potter, James Bond and Rambo and surgical terms like Circumcision.

Children will also be spared being dubbed Virgin, Hitler, Email, Burger King, Christmas Day, Robocop and Rolling Stone.

"It's about protecting children," said Cristina Ramirez, the director of Sonora's Civil Registry. "We want to make sure children's names don't get them bullied in school."

Ramirez anticipates the list will expand in future as officials discover more objectionable names.

(Reporting by Julia Symmes Cobb; Editing by Simon Gardner and Cynthia Osterman)

by on Feb. 20, 2014 at 10:22 PM
Replies (71-72):
LauraLuciferMom
by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 10:15 AM
1 mom liked this

.. why does it really matter what a child is named? unless it's a profanity like "fuck" theres no reason to ban it.. I'm actually naming my son who is due in May, "Lucifer" which means "Angel of light" and I've had a few family members say that it's abusive or wrong because of the bible and christian beliefs but I've honestly had more people LOVE it and not have the slightest idea about the christian interperatation of it than i have people who dont like it.. My MIL from hell says "hes going to be posessed" "dont you care that he's going to get picked on" "what if he goes to school and kids arent allowed to be friends with him or they pick on him?" and my reply is "ALL kids are picked on for their name. My name is mandy, I was picked on. Im fine and i love that i wasnt named the traditional amanda or miranda. If my son decides HE doesnt like his name, I'll pay to have it changed to something he will like. As for school, he will be homeschooled so im not at all worried about that. My child isnt going to be posessed simply because some religious wacko doesnt realize that when "Lucifer" took his fall from heaven, he was stripped of the ANGELIC name "Lucifer" and is now who we all know as Satan." i'm not religious. not everyone is. So the christian argument is irrelevant to me.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm with you there! And I think that the name Lucifer has a beautiful meaning.Two things I will say though, when you call his name on the playground, you won't have 10 kids come running and he will most definitely be remembered,lol.

You know this reminds me of the swastika. Originally it was a beautiful symbol the Native Americans used, meaning 'to be good'. Then the asshole nazis took it over and perverted it. I'm glad you're taking back the name Lucifer. Who knows, you might even start a trend!

Quoting LauraLuciferMom:

.. why does it really matter what a child is named? unless it's a profanity like "fuck" theres no reason to ban it.. I'm actually naming my son who is due in May, "Lucifer" which means "Angel of light" and I've had a few family members say that it's abusive or wrong because of the bible and christian beliefs but I've honestly had more people LOVE it and not have the slightest idea about the christian interperatation of it than i have people who dont like it.. My MIL from hell says "hes going to be posessed" "dont you care that he's going to get picked on" "what if he goes to school and kids arent allowed to be friends with him or they pick on him?" and my reply is "ALL kids are picked on for their name. My name is mandy, I was picked on. Im fine and i love that i wasnt named the traditional amanda or miranda. If my son decides HE doesnt like his name, I'll pay to have it changed to something he will like. As for school, he will be homeschooled so im not at all worried about that. My child isnt going to be posessed simply because some religious wacko doesnt realize that when "Lucifer" took his fall from heaven, he was stripped of the ANGELIC name "Lucifer" and is now who we all know as Satan." i'm not religious. not everyone is. So the christian argument is irrelevant to me.

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)