Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft ideas?

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2014 at 7:44 PM
  • 8 Replies
This isn't for homeschool, it's for work for me. I work with kids with Autism. I have one client that is 8 and very high functioning, but he has a hard time with some fine motor skills and following directions. I need ideas for crafts I can do with him and his very average 4 and 5 yo siblings. Any ideas?
by on Feb. 23, 2014 at 7:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Feb. 23, 2014 at 7:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I think the best thing is the Rainbow Loom. They can make little pieces of jewelry and work on fine motor skills at the same time. I recommend the original name brand rainbow loom as the hook is bigger and easier for those with fine motor issues. It's done wonders with my Aspie son.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Feb. 23, 2014 at 7:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Btw, my son loves looking up new ways of making the jewelry on youtube, and now wants to make his own 'how to' videos. 

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Feb. 23, 2014 at 8:10 PM
Great idea! We don't have one, but I can look into getting one, I may even get reimbursed from my work-haven't tried that yet.

Quoting KickButtMama:

I think the best thing is the Rainbow Loom. They can make little pieces of jewelry and work on fine motor skills at the same time. I recommend the original name brand rainbow loom as the hook is bigger and easier for those with fine motor issues. It's done wonders with my Aspie son.

Molimomma
by Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 8:41 PM
1 mom liked this

My son recently discovered those paint your own Suncatcher kits and is quite fascinated with them. It's super easy and there are tons of choices. My son is 4 and he was able to do it if I held the Suncatcher down for him.

usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 23, 2014 at 10:43 PM
1 mom liked this

My 8y/o son that has Autism loves to sculpt with polymer clay you can then bake to make hard & keep forever!

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 11:05 PM
1 mom liked this

I second this. My 9yo loves to sculpt.

Quoting usmom3:

My 8y/o son that has Autism loves to sculpt with polymer clay you can then bake to make hard & keep forever!

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Feb. 23, 2014 at 11:22 PM
1 mom liked this

They are about $15 for the real ones, found at Michaels craft stores or online. 

Quoting TJandKarasMom: Great idea! We don't have one, but I can look into getting one, I may even get reimbursed from my work-haven't tried that yet.

Quoting KickButtMama:

hwblyf
by Bronze Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 8:27 AM
1 mom liked this

I keep wanting to try this weaving:

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/334673816030248267/
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/334673816030201925/
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/334673816030820235/ 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)