Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Lately I've been feeling paranoid about 9yo ds's reading skills. I know I said before I was going to let it go and let reading happen naturally but then that little voice started screaming "It's not enough!" 

So I went out and bought a sponge bob comic, the funnies from the newspaper and a couple books I thought he would like. When we started school I sat him down and explained we were going to do some reading. He just looked at me like I sucked all the flavor from his ice cream. You can guess how reading time went :-(

Sigh...so I gave up again. I told the little voice in my head to stuff it; either he'll read or he won't. No point in making both of us miserable.

Then last night! He was messing around too much brushing his teeth and we ran out of time to read a story (I always read a chapter of Life of Fred) I told him time's up, I'm leaving. He was bummed but I stood firm and walked away. A little while later I heard talking and laughing from the bathroom. I peeked around the corner and saw him... reading Life of Fred! He came out about 20 minutes later and told me how funny the book was.

*Win* Hopefully now I've learned my lesson. No more reading lessons!

by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 11:14 AM
Replies (11-20):
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 4:55 PM

What kind of phonic rules?

Quoting celtic77dragon:

That is awesome. 

Are there no lessons on phonics rules at all??? Just curious.

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Feb. 24, 2014 at 4:56 PM
1 mom liked this

See, walking away does work! Congrats!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 4:58 PM

Go for it!  It's helped us a lot.

Quoting paganbaby:

I am so doing that!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

IMO, buy the sponge bob (shudders, I hate that show!)  buy some other cool comics and funny pages.  Then drop them around the house, open to some really funny pages.  Just wait.  LOL

I'm having a similar thing happening with my soon to be 7yo.  The coffe table in the living room has the Plants Vrs Zombies Almanac, some Scooby Doo I can read books, Plants Bite Back, Crazy Nature, and a Scary Stories Treasury open to various cool stories.  NOW he's reading all the time.  The cool pictures just suck him right in and he wants to know why things are happening!  I never thought I would be quite this unschooling!  Yikes!  I still make him read to me each and every day, but now he's also starting to read for himself.  Woot!

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 6:27 PM

It's true!

Quoting hwblyf:

I think a lot of times we put pressure on things to happen on our time frame.  Glad you could provide an opportunity for him to make it happen!  :)

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 6:51 PM

This makes me feel so much better :-)

Quoting Silverkitty:

My daughter didn't start really reading until she was 11.  Now she reads everything I assign her and even picks out books to read.  It does take patients, but eventually they get there.  I started with not forcing her to read, but letting her pick what she wanted to read  It was annoying since all she wanted to read were simple books many grade levels below where I knew she was and could be, but it helped.

It's great when kids do on their own what we know they can do and told them they could.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 6:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm seeing a trend here of 10+ before kids really get into reading. This is such a relief for me!

And that is too cute! LOL

Quoting jen2150: My son was and is the same way. He is 10 and just starting to really read. Garfield comic books are what turned him on to reading. It gave him the confidence he needed. I still have smother that voice. A month ago I was worried that my son hadn't been reading at all. I should have known better. I keep a box of books for him to read from the library. I went through the box and every book I pulled out he had already read. He was reading behind my back. He thought it was hilarious.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

turnergrace
by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 9:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I wasn't interested in reading until about 4th grade. But my parents always had books around and kept my bookshelf full of interesting age appropriate books. One summer I was SO bored that I just though what they hay, I guess I could read this... and then I finished an entire series. I think the main thing with young kids is to let them read what they want to. It doesn't matter if it's not educational because the love of reading doesn't come from that - very very few people enjoy reading textbooks lol.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

celtic77dragon
by Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 6:58 AM

closed syllables, open syllables, vowel combinations, etc.

Having a solid understanding makes a huge difference in lifelong reading.

There are a few programs for it, but a good handy book is The Reading Teachers Book Of Lists

Quoting paganbaby:

What kind of phonic rules?

Quoting celtic77dragon:

That is awesome. 

Are there no lessons on phonics rules at all??? Just curious.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 25, 2014 at 8:14 AM
That is fantastic! :)

You know, it has been my experience that no matter the amount of teaching and lessons to do, if it doesn't click inside of them/ourselves then it just won't work. There will be constant struggle and pulling of teeth BUT, when it DOES click inside, it is the most wonderful thing in the whole world to see them pick up a book and read without so much as a blip. Something else I've learned, without some/alot of struggle, we wouldn't know how really wonderful something is.
Congratulations sweety. :)
butterflycircle
by on Feb. 25, 2014 at 9:38 AM
1 mom liked this

gosh this sounds like one of those heart warming moments full of being proud! i have been having some of them lately too, it is great!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)