Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Lately I've been feeling paranoid about 9yo ds's reading skills. I know I said before I was going to let it go and let reading happen naturally but then that little voice started screaming "It's not enough!" 

So I went out and bought a sponge bob comic, the funnies from the newspaper and a couple books I thought he would like. When we started school I sat him down and explained we were going to do some reading. He just looked at me like I sucked all the flavor from his ice cream. You can guess how reading time went :-(

Sigh...so I gave up again. I told the little voice in my head to stuff it; either he'll read or he won't. No point in making both of us miserable.

Then last night! He was messing around too much brushing his teeth and we ran out of time to read a story (I always read a chapter of Life of Fred) I told him time's up, I'm leaving. He was bummed but I stood firm and walked away. A little while later I heard talking and laughing from the bathroom. I peeked around the corner and saw him... reading Life of Fred! He came out about 20 minutes later and told me how funny the book was.

*Win* Hopefully now I've learned my lesson. No more reading lessons!

by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 11:14 AM
Replies (21-30):
butterflycircle
by on Feb. 25, 2014 at 9:43 AM

for me too. my daughter is 8 1/2 she can read she is a little behind as far as reading levels go but she isn't bad at it. she doesn't want to read that is the problem. i hope that she will soon change her ways though. it is encouraging to hear that there are many kids the same way.

Quoting paganbaby:

I'm seeing a trend here of 10+ before kids really get into reading. This is such a relief for me!

And that is too cute! LOL

Quoting jen2150: My son was and is the same way. He is 10 and just starting to really read. Garfield comic books are what turned him on to reading. It gave him the confidence he needed. I still have smother that voice. A month ago I was worried that my son hadn't been reading at all. I should have known better. I keep a box of books for him to read from the library. I went through the box and every book I pulled out he had already read. He was reading behind my back. He thought it was hilarious.

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 1:49 PM

Mine didn;'t want to read either, and the hardest thing for me was to let it go, knowing that his personality is to push back harder if I pushed first. It seemed like he went from a complete non reader to a confident, accomplished reader overnight with no help from me at all. He was nearly 10.  I mean, he wouldn't even attempt to try! He had zero interest in learning. Suddenly, when Minecraft became an obsession, he realized he could play it better if he could read. In under 6 months he went to reading on a K level, to a 4th grade level.  His comprehension went through the roof, his speed, accuracy, and technique improved, and all that without a phonics lesson. 

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 2:20 PM
I rarely buy extras. I'm a christmas and birthday gift buyer and don't buy much through the year.

One thing I have always let them get is books. We have to stick with thrift store books, but everytime we are in a thrift store, they are digging through the books like its christmas.

I especially like to hit half price days. On thrift store charges a quarter for the kids paperbacks (already cheap) and then half price takes them to 12.5 cents.

Can't beat it.
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 11:25 AM

Oh no, I don't teach any of that. At least not intentionally. He's a fairly good reader. By just letting him do his own thing, he's brought up his own reading level from later kinder to mid second grade. 

Quoting celtic77dragon:

closed syllables, open syllables, vowel combinations, etc.

Having a solid understanding makes a huge difference in lifelong reading.

There are a few programs for it, but a good handy book is The Reading Teachers Book Of Lists

Quoting paganbaby:

What kind of phonic rules?

Quoting celtic77dragon:

That is awesome. 

Are there no lessons on phonics rules at all??? Just curious.

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 11:28 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes! It's like telling time. I tried and tried then one day he just "Got it!" 

Best feeling in the world :-)

Quoting kirbymom: That is fantastic! :) You know, it has been my experience that no matter the amount of teaching and lessons to do, if it doesn't click inside of them/ourselves then it just won't work. There will be constant struggle and pulling of teeth BUT, when it DOES click inside, it is the most wonderful thing in the whole world to see them pick up a book and read without so much as a blip. Something else I've learned, without some/alot of struggle, we wouldn't know how really wonderful something is. Congratulations sweety. :)

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 11:28 AM

happyThat's awesome!

Quoting butterflycircle:

gosh this sounds like one of those heart warming moments full of being proud! i have been having some of them lately too, it is great!

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 11:31 AM

Likeother people said, just leave interesting books around and don't puch it. That's the hardest part for me. Sometimes I feel like if I don't push, he won't read at all but of course we all know that's not the case,lol.

Quoting butterflycircle:

for me too. my daughter is 8 1/2 she can read she is a little behind as far as reading levels go but she isn't bad at it. she doesn't want to read that is the problem. i hope that she will soon change her ways though. it is encouraging to hear that there are many kids the same way.

Quoting paganbaby:

I'm seeing a trend here of 10+ before kids really get into reading. This is such a relief for me!

And that is too cute! LOL

Quoting jen2150: My son was and is the same way. He is 10 and just starting to really read. Garfield comic books are what turned him on to reading. It gave him the confidence he needed. I still have smother that voice. A month ago I was worried that my son hadn't been reading at all. I should have known better. I keep a box of books for him to read from the library. I went through the box and every book I pulled out he had already read. He was reading behind my back. He thought it was hilarious.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

celtic77dragon
by Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 2:55 PM

It helps later on in life to know why words work the way that they do. It can make you an ace speller and reader if you have a good understanding of the foundations of the language like that. 

Quoting paganbaby:

Oh no, I don't teach any of that. At least not intentionally. He's a fairly good reader. By just letting him do his own thing, he's brought up his own reading level from later kinder to mid second grade. 

Quoting celtic77dragon:

There are a few programs for it, but a good handy book is The Reading Teachers Book Of Lists

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting celtic77dragon:

That is awesome. 

KenneMaw
by Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 6:53 PM

THAT is awesome!!!!!!!    I know you went to sleep with a smile on your face.  I always worried about my DD, but it amazing how 1 day it all just seems to click.    Once we realized she loved non-fiction and books like the Guiness Book of World Records, we finally got her reading. 

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 5:50 PM

I can see that but I can also see trying to teach him would suck all the fun out reading :-/

Quoting celtic77dragon:

It helps later on in life to know why words work the way that they do. It can make you an ace speller and reader if you have a good understanding of the foundations of the language like that. 

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting celtic77dragon:

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting celtic77dragon:

That is awesome. 

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN