Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Lately I've been feeling paranoid about 9yo ds's reading skills. I know I said before I was going to let it go and let reading happen naturally but then that little voice started screaming "It's not enough!" 

So I went out and bought a sponge bob comic, the funnies from the newspaper and a couple books I thought he would like. When we started school I sat him down and explained we were going to do some reading. He just looked at me like I sucked all the flavor from his ice cream. You can guess how reading time went :-(

Sigh...so I gave up again. I told the little voice in my head to stuff it; either he'll read or he won't. No point in making both of us miserable.

Then last night! He was messing around too much brushing his teeth and we ran out of time to read a story (I always read a chapter of Life of Fred) I told him time's up, I'm leaving. He was bummed but I stood firm and walked away. A little while later I heard talking and laughing from the bathroom. I peeked around the corner and saw him... reading Life of Fred! He came out about 20 minutes later and told me how funny the book was.

*Win* Hopefully now I've learned my lesson. No more reading lessons!

by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 11:14 AM
Replies (31-31):
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 5:51 PM

You know I did! And now I'm on the hunt for any books he might like,lol.

Quoting KenneMaw:

THAT is awesome!!!!!!!    I know you went to sleep with a smile on your face.  I always worried about my DD, but it amazing how 1 day it all just seems to click.    Once we realized she loved non-fiction and books like the Guiness Book of World Records, we finally got her reading. 

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)