Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Anyone else's child memorize books?

Posted by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 10:48 PM
  • 13 Replies
1 mom liked this

My son is 6. We have just recently started reading full on, but we have had this problem for a few years. He memorizes books. Mostly we are reading smaller books(such as dr. Suess etc) we do larger books with me reading to him etc. Thank god for the library or else i would be spending a fortune on new books all the time  lol (We also find free "books" online. 

The issue is if he gets read a book then he has it memorized and can repeat it word for word so I wouldn't be able to tell if he is actually reading or if he is just repeating. 

Example: Before we took him out of PS he went to the library with my husband and they picked up Dr. Sues's Foot Book. On the way home he "read" the book to my husband. lol He was reciting from memory as the teacher had read the book(once!) to the class earlier in the week. 

Anyone else's child do this? 

His reading is coming along, only issue I have is of him not really "trying" with the words instead wanting to just guess..which I'm sure is normal for his age. 

by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 10:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 24, 2014 at 11:11 PM
2 moms liked this

Memorizing books is just one of the many different way some people learn to read! If he is looking at the words as he says them from memory he is reinforcing the written word with the sound of it every time! This is not a bad thing because for some they need to learn this way!

tntmom1027
by Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 11:18 PM

Yeah I know it is good it just makes it more challenging for me. lol  

I'm just impressed with how fast he can do it! 

usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 24, 2014 at 11:21 PM

As long as he is reading his ability to read will improve!

Quoting tntmom1027:

Yeah I know it is good it just makes it more challenging for me. lol  

I'm just impressed with how fast he can do it! 

Jenn8604
by Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 11:25 PM
2 moms liked this
My son isn't very good at sounding things out. If you show him and tell him a word he remembers it and can use it later. But you have to sound it out for him and say it for him. It's still reading.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SarahNElijah
by on Feb. 25, 2014 at 1:14 AM
My daughter does this. :) She is four but I am also thankful for the library!! :-D She will miss a word here or there and those are the times I can help her sound it out, but I am also seeing her recognize more and more words in new books from doing this. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 8:32 AM
Oh, I thought this was a good thing. My 6 year old who has language delays never did this, but my 3 year old does.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 10:45 AM
1 mom liked this

Actually that's a good thing!  My oldest could tell me stories word for word when he was very young.  We had to learn to use brand new books when I wanted to make sure he was reading and not just regurgitating.

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 12:08 PM
2 moms liked this
This reminded me of a funny story about my oldest DS. We put I'm back in PS in Jr high and he stunned his English teacher when he was required to read The Outsiders in class and he told her he didn't need to read it because he'd memorized it in 5th grade. Well,naturally she didn't believe him so he bagan reciting it to her word for word!she was so impressed she sent him to the principals office to do it for him.

Sorry, I know that doesn't help you,but don't discount the ability to memorize.
kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 25, 2014 at 12:43 PM
My youngest son and daughter do this a lot. Memorization can be a useful tool for learning.
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 1:18 PM

My 2nd did this.  His decoding of words came later than some of my other children's, but he's on track.  It is a kicker not knowing if he's reading or just remembering, but the reading will come.  :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN