Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Anyone else's child memorize books?

Posted by   + Show Post

My son is 6. We have just recently started reading full on, but we have had this problem for a few years. He memorizes books. Mostly we are reading smaller books(such as dr. Suess etc) we do larger books with me reading to him etc. Thank god for the library or else i would be spending a fortune on new books all the time  lol (We also find free "books" online. 

The issue is if he gets read a book then he has it memorized and can repeat it word for word so I wouldn't be able to tell if he is actually reading or if he is just repeating. 

Example: Before we took him out of PS he went to the library with my husband and they picked up Dr. Sues's Foot Book. On the way home he "read" the book to my husband. lol He was reciting from memory as the teacher had read the book(once!) to the class earlier in the week. 

Anyone else's child do this? 

His reading is coming along, only issue I have is of him not really "trying" with the words instead wanting to just guess..which I'm sure is normal for his age. 

by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 10:48 PM
Replies (11-13):
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 12:04 PM

I know how that can be fusterating,lol. But that's how my 9yo ds learned to read too. Just memorizing. Even now he doesn't usually sound out words too much. He says he reads by recognizing them.

12yrmama
by New Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 5:50 PM

It's called holistic reading. Learning to read by actually READING! Not phonics, or ABC's. I love it. Start by memorizing the book. Then one page. Then close in on the actual words. 90% of reading is memorizing, not sounding out. You can still teach sounding out for recognizing new words

tntmom1027
by Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 6:16 PM

It's basically what easy peasy lesson's focus on then. She has a video where she reads outlouds the new words as she shows it. And then shows it again and they say what the word is before she repeats it again. Then they read the short page reader that has the words. 

I just didn't think of it that way before. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)