Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
Where do I start? She makes it all a chore and wants to fight over learning anything. We have several work books we plan to use. Just some I picked up at Walmart. For the summer, but she can't read or write yet. Has no interest in any of it. And nothing sinks in with her. I'm going crazy here.

My oldest we did homeschooling for first grade and it was terrible. He also has ADHD and odd but now that he attends a private home school he's doing much better. But the money to send them both just isn't there.

Please help
by on Feb. 25, 2014 at 10:00 AM
Replies (11-17):
Mommy2Phenley
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 10:29 PM
My 5 yo actually loves workbooks and she won't touch the wal mart ones. They're rather dull. All workbooks are not created equal. And workbooks are not necessary at all.

If you can afford it, there are many great k packaged programs out there that would lay everything out for you. And there are lots of great stand alone curricula too, if you want to piece together what works best for you. If you can't or just want to wait until next year (which is fine, k doesn't have to be so structured) then teach through play. If you need an idea of what she should learn, use her workbooks yourself to know what to do. See what it's teaching and turn it into a hands on activity. Or check out the scope and sequence of some k programs.

If you go the curriculum route: I recommend The ordinary parents guide to teaching reading. We went through several phonics programs and finally settled with this one. For math, we love both Miquon and Singapore. We use handwriting without tears for handwriting. For science in k you can choose a topic she's interested in and just pick out a few good books at the library. Then pick a new topic.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 12:12 PM

I've never heard of a private homeschool. How does that work?

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 12:14 PM

This sounds great!

Quoting KrissyKC: My current kindy, almost six, is a big challenge. She is crazy hyper, loud, extreme temperament, etc. She can run in circles, take a tiny breather, get up and run in circles again. This can be done for hours on end during bad weather days when we r stuck inside. Anyway, I say all that to discuss what we have been doing. 1.) Pinterest calendar board with hands on activities. Money, time, date, etc... 2.) Calendar notebook to record some of the above activities and to keep tallies and graphs.. 3.) She joins us in daily sign language practice, flags, scripture reading and she semi participates in the older kids science. 4.) Computer learning...She has a time4learning account and works with starfall.com, shepphardsoftware.com, and some games we own anywhere from advanced prek to first grade. 5.) Practices a few minutes daily for her clubs and events she is in. Doing a drama and bible quizzing. 6.) Relaxed read together times several times per week. Not always every day, but as often as we can.

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 12:16 PM

For this age, I would make school as fun as possible. Computer games, board games, counting money, sorting shapes, dot to dot, mazes, coloring. I got my son interested in writing by teaching his potty words,lol. One of the first words he wrote was fart. Just have fun with it.

BraydensMama163
by Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 7:29 PM
Thanks everyone!! I see some great advice here. Little nervous to get started but praying for the best
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 7:39 PM
May I ask what you are doing for sign language?

Quoting KrissyKC: My current kindy, almost six, is a big challenge. She is crazy hyper, loud, extreme temperament, etc.

She can run in circles, take a tiny breather, get up and run in circles again. This can be done for hours on end during bad weather days when we r stuck inside.

Anyway, I say all that to discuss what we have been doing.

1.) Pinterest calendar board with hands on activities. Money, time, date, etc...

2.) Calendar notebook to record some of the above activities and to keep tallies and graphs..

3.) She joins us in daily sign language practice, flags, scripture reading and she semi participates in the older kids science.

4.) Computer learning...She has a time4learning account and works with starfall.com, shepphardsoftware.com, and some games we own anywhere from advanced prek to first grade.

5.) Practices a few minutes daily for her clubs and events she is in. Doing a drama and bible quizzing.

6.) Relaxed read together times several times per week. Not always every day, but as often as we can.
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 6:05 PM
1 mom liked this
We have a book I got at a garage sale for $1.50. Its called a word in a hand. We also watch the show on netflicks called signing time and there are other videos at the library. It is very hit and miss as its just an interest subject right now. Some days we get into it and do more.

But it is something extra I di with all of them. Even the baby has been imitating us during class

Quoting debramommyof4: May I ask what you are doing for sign language?

Quoting KrissyKC: My current kindy, almost six, is a big challenge. She is crazy hyper, loud, extreme temperament, etc.

She can run in circles, take a tiny breather, get up and run in circles again. This can be done for hours on end during bad weather days when we r stuck inside.

Anyway, I say all that to discuss what we have been doing.

1.) Pinterest calendar board with hands on activities. Money, time, date, etc...

2.) Calendar notebook to record some of the above activities and to keep tallies and graphs..

3.) She joins us in daily sign language practice, flags, scripture reading and she semi participates in the older kids science.

4.) Computer learning...She has a time4learning account and works with starfall.com, shepphardsoftware.com, and some games we own anywhere from advanced prek to first grade.

5.) Practices a few minutes daily for her clubs and events she is in. Doing a drama and bible quizzing.

6.) Relaxed read together times several times per week. Not always every day, but as often as we can.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)