Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

second guessing.

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2014 at 4:32 PM
  • 15 Replies
I am starting to second guess my decision to home school. I know its what best for their education, but in starting to wonder if its whats best for us individually. Im worried about them socializing and me having to do eveything with them. I like the idea of them going to school and me being able to do everything that needs to be done without having to worry about what they need to get done too. Or them being in school and i can just go out with my friends for lunch. That is if i dont get a job. Am i the only one tgat has worried about this or thought like this? Anyone have any suggestions to solve this?

Also What do you do with the kids all day? Other then school work that is. What extra activities do you do? How do you make sure you get time just for you?
by on Feb. 25, 2014 at 4:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 25, 2014 at 5:27 PM
Well, I think every one second guesses themselves at some point in their decision making process. Whether during the process or after. And at some point a lot of us want that *me* just to relax and have some down time. Just because we became mothers does not mean we locked up and threw away every feeling that we had before we had children. But, bevause we do have children now, we realize that we strive to make life for our kids as educational and opportunistic and as easy as possible. We no longer are on our own. We have these beautiful yet sometimes frustrating, gorgeous children to think of, more than ourselves.
We have to look at it from this perspective, what is the most important thing I want for my children that I want to impart to them as they grow into adulthood(?).
jen2150
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 5:34 PM
When we are home we do things together and my kids spend hours doing their own thing. We attend 3 weekly co-ops plus other monthly and bi-monthly meeting for various clubs. We do spend a lot of time together but we also have our alone moments. Kids naturally become more independent as they get older especially when you are homeschooling. We also go to karate together. Most families find a balance that work for them. I am at the library right now relaxing and reading while my boys are playing on the computer. I have boxes of activities for them to work on all on their own. We have a science and art box my kids love to explore. During their free time they pretty much like to read, legos, building, art, computer or whatever else they think of. When the weather is nice they run around outside and chase all our animals. We have chickens, one gander, guineas, ducks, and peafowl. Sometimes my kids will ask to play a board game. My favorite is playing on the wii with them. We haven't played in weeks. We have been too busy. I need fix that. How old are your kids?
Hanab818
by on Feb. 25, 2014 at 5:37 PM
3 and 2 next month.

Quoting jen2150: When we are home we do things together and my kids spend hours doing their own thing. We attend 3 weekly co-ops plus other monthly and bi-monthly meeting for various clubs. We do spend a lot of time together but we also have our alone moments. Kids naturally become more independent as they get older especially when you are homeschooling. We also go to karate together. Most families find a balance that work for them. I am at the library right now relaxing and reading while my boys are playing on the computer. I have boxes of activities for them to work on all on their own. We have a science and art box my kids love to explore. During their free time they pretty much like to read, legos, building, art, computer or whatever else they think of. When the weather is nice they run around outside and chase all our animals. We have chickens, one gander, guineas, ducks, and peafowl. Sometimes my kids will ask to play a board game. My favorite is playing on the wii with them. We haven't played in weeks. We have been too busy. I need fix that. How old are your kids?
Hanab818
by on Feb. 25, 2014 at 5:38 PM
And thanks.im worried about us getting alone time. I dont want to be up their butts 24/7 and i def dont want them up mine.

Quoting jen2150: When we are home we do things together and my kids spend hours doing their own thing. We attend 3 weekly co-ops plus other monthly and bi-monthly meeting for various clubs. We do spend a lot of time together but we also have our alone moments. Kids naturally become more independent as they get older especially when you are homeschooling. We also go to karate together. Most families find a balance that work for them. I am at the library right now relaxing and reading while my boys are playing on the computer. I have boxes of activities for them to work on all on their own. We have a science and art box my kids love to explore. During their free time they pretty much like to read, legos, building, art, computer or whatever else they think of. When the weather is nice they run around outside and chase all our animals. We have chickens, one gander, guineas, ducks, and peafowl. Sometimes my kids will ask to play a board game. My favorite is playing on the wii with them. We haven't played in weeks. We have been too busy. I need fix that. How old are your kids?
Hanab818
by on Feb. 25, 2014 at 5:40 PM
1 mom liked this
Yup. I know its whats best educationally but i also dont want to be up their butts 24/7 and vise versa. I dont think that would be good for anyone. But i think i found a solution for that. Dh has Wednesday off so he will watch the kids while i get a ouple hours to myself.

Quoting kirbymom: Well, I think every one second guesses themselves at some point in their decision making process. Whether during the process or after. And at some point a lot of us want that *me* just to relax and have some down time. Just because we became mothers does not mean we locked up and threw away every feeling that we had before we had children. But, bevause we do have children now, we realize that we strive to make life for our kids as educational and opportunistic and as easy as possible. We no longer are on our own. We have these beautiful yet sometimes frustrating, gorgeous children to think of, more than ourselves.

We have to look at it from this perspective, what is the most important thing I want for my children that I want to impart to them as they grow into adulthood(?).
jen2150
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 5:48 PM
1 mom liked this
When my kids were 2 and 3 they were definately up my butt. LOL It will get better. I joined a gym when my kids were that age and it was a lifesaver. When I needed alone time I would take them to the gym. They loved it. I got to do a hard or light workout. Take a hot shower uninterrupted. It was heavenly. My kids are 10 and 11 and they will go off for hours now and do their own thing. They will find me and beg me to come see what they did. They started becoming a lot more independent around kindergarten and up. I suggest you have multiple area set around your house. My son loves animals so I built him a nest box for all his animals. My son loved to sit in his nest box. These ages go by so fast enjoy them. I sometimes miss those little guys who used to follow me around everywhere. Reading nooks, art areas, and lego areas worked really well for my family.

Quoting Hanab818: And thanks.im worried about us getting alone time. I dont want to be up their butts 24/7 and i def dont want them up mine.

Hanab818
by on Feb. 25, 2014 at 5:54 PM
1 mom liked this
I love the different area ideas. But we dont have tons of room for that. We already have gym,memberships. Its 24 hour gym so i always go after my oldest is in bed or between the kids bedtimes. Dh has Wens off so i might just send the kids,his way and do my stuff like grocery shopping me time then

Quoting jen2150: When my kids were 2 and 3 they were definately up my butt. LOL It will get better. I joined a gym when my kids were that age and it was a lifesaver. When I needed alone time I would take them to the gym. They loved it. I got to do a hard or light workout. Take a hot shower uninterrupted. It was heavenly. My kids are 10 and 11 and they will go off for hours now and do their own thing. They will find me and beg me to come see what they did. They started becoming a lot more independent around kindergarten and up. I suggest you have multiple area set around your house. My son loves animals so I built him a nest box for all his animals. My son loved to sit in his nest box. These ages go by so fast enjoy them. I sometimes miss those little guys who used to follow me around everywhere. Reading nooks, art areas, and lego areas worked really well for my family.

Quoting Hanab818: And thanks.im worried about us getting alone time. I dont want to be up their butts 24/7 and i def dont want them up mine.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 10:57 AM

I have some alone time first thing in the morning after I drop youngest dd off at ps. Then we do work during the normal school hours (about 9ish to 1) After that we eat lunch (another break for me), the kids go off and do their own thing for an hour then I pick up dd.

Once everyone is home, 7yo dd usually watches T.V. for a little while then does her homework, 14yo dd goes on FB or finishes up her work and I send ds out to play with his friends.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 12:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Kids of homeschoolers tend to be a bit more independent while at home if only because you are together so much. They don't have a need to have you with them in the same room constantly.

Hanab818
by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 1:04 PM
I expect that when they get older but right now they are 2 and 3.

Quoting mem82:

Kids of homeschoolers tend to be a bit more independent while at home if only because you are together so much. They don't have a need to have you with them in the same room constantly.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN