Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
I am starting to second guess my decision to home school. I know its what best for their education, but in starting to wonder if its whats best for us individually. Im worried about them socializing and me having to do eveything with them. I like the idea of them going to school and me being able to do everything that needs to be done without having to worry about what they need to get done too. Or them being in school and i can just go out with my friends for lunch. That is if i dont get a job. Am i the only one tgat has worried about this or thought like this? Anyone have any suggestions to solve this?

Also What do you do with the kids all day? Other then school work that is. What extra activities do you do? How do you make sure you get time just for you?
by on Feb. 25, 2014 at 4:32 PM
Replies (11-15):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 1:22 PM

Well, them wanting to be close to you at this age is going to happen no matter if they go to public school in the future or not. 8)

Quoting Hanab818: I expect that when they get older but right now they are 2 and 3.
Quoting mem82:

Kids of homeschoolers tend to be a bit more independent while at home if only because you are together so much. They don't have a need to have you with them in the same room constantly.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Feb. 26, 2014 at 2:01 PM

I can tell u that a lot of that is age. When my kids were preschool age I tried to do 1 outside class per week. Usually reading at the library. Over time the kids need me less and less during the day. I'd say I'm teaching them only about an hour/day. Then they do independant learning (usually together) the rest of the day while I'm working on my crafts (as I sell them). 

But out I agree w/ the others. We all doubt ourselves occasionally. But I would miss my kids terribly if they were in school all day, and they'd drive me crazy once they got home tired.

Quoting Hanab818: And thanks.im worried about us getting alone time. I dont want to be up their butts 24/7 and i def dont want them up mine.
Quoting jen2150: When we are home we do things together and my kids spend hours doing their own thing. We attend 3 weekly co-ops plus other monthly and bi-monthly meeting for various clubs. We do spend a lot of time together but we also have our alone moments. Kids naturally become more independent as they get older especially when you are homeschooling. We also go to karate together. Most families find a balance that work for them. I am at the library right now relaxing and reading while my boys are playing on the computer. I have boxes of activities for them to work on all on their own. We have a science and art box my kids love to explore. During their free time they pretty much like to read, legos, building, art, computer or whatever else they think of. When the weather is nice they run around outside and chase all our animals. We have chickens, one gander, guineas, ducks, and peafowl. Sometimes my kids will ask to play a board game. My favorite is playing on the wii with them. We haven't played in weeks. We have been too busy. I need fix that. How old are your kids?

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 3:40 PM

I sent my oldest to PS.  He came home overly tired, cranky and carrying a lot of homework.  We would spend 2 or more hours struggling our way through homework, pausing for crying jags, and falling asleep over supper.  There was a constant fight going on in the house....fighting to get the homework done, fighting to get to bed "at a decent hour," fighting to get breakfast eaten, fighting to get dressed and ready for school, fighting to get things done on the weekends.  It was stressful and we were nearly always cranky with one another.

I thought it would be much worse to homeschool.  They would be around all the time!  If it's such a fight to get the homework done, wouldn't it be 10 times as hard to get the full day of school done?

The answer is NO!  Now the boys sleep, they even take naps sometimes.  They do not constanly need me (they are now 5, 7, and almost 9).  They like being on their own some.  They get along with me and with each other much better than they did while trying to PS.

Yes, I sometimes second guess myself and yes, I do understand that if I hadn't sent them to PS I would proabably have caved on my second guesses by now.  But most of the time, I understand that homeschooling gives us a much better relationship and really is best for my boys.

Your kids are young, they would be like this even if they were going to PS in the future.  Second guessing is normal, but homeschooling can be a very natural and fulfilling thing.  You can get time for yourself (if you make it a priority) and you can enjoy your kids!

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 5:40 PM

If your kids are 2 and 3, I would not even be worrying about this right now. IMO they aren't even 'homeschooled' in the sense that, they wouldn't otherwise be enrolled in public school by law. Either they are at home, in full time day care, or in a preschool setting. So to me this seems more like a question of, do you want to be a SAHM or not.

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 5:43 PM

My kids are now 6, 8, and 11. Our days look like this:

7-8:30 am Wake up, morning chores, breakfast, clean up breakfast, brush teeth

8:30 - 9:30 Make beds, practice piano (older two), play PLAY PLAY! while I get ready for school

9:30 - 11:30ish School time, where they do all their subjects, I help them as needed

We usually finish before noon. If it's a long day we might take a 15 min break about 10:30 for a snack and to just get out of the school room.

Then it's lunch. Then we go somewhere if we need to - today it was the post office and the library. After that, they have screen time. They take turns on their tablets, computer, or watching TV. Before dinner, screens go off and they do their chores while I get dinner ready. DH gets home and helps make sure their rooms are clean and all chores are done satisfactorily. Then it's dinner, we go somewhere if we need to (like cub scouts or whatever), if not we watch TV or play games together, then bedtime.

This is FAR different than my life when they were toddlers & preschoolers. It's apples and oranges really. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN