Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

IEW is not for us. How about this one?

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 1:02 AM
  • 10 Replies

We watched the first disk of the student intensive and it about put us to sleep! My son is 1st grade but is advanced. His writing is his weakest point but he can write 2 paragraphs and easily grasps concepts like puncuation and grammer. Thankfully IEW was something we checked out at the school library so no money lost on that one. I don't see what people see in it! I do plan to try watching the TWSS before I take it back though. I hope there's some better info in there and it doesn't put me to sleep! Has anyody ever tried this? http://www.createpress.com/pages/product.htm My son is great at writing facts but everything he writes goes back to facts. Not surprising since he has "autism like characteristics" and doesn't really deviate from facts. He's just now starting to understand what a joke is and use his imagination when playing. Until he was 5 he would only use science kits and such never pretend play. It's a work in progress. But once again it's expensive. Has anybody used this?

Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love.  ~Mildred B. Vermont
by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 1:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jen2150
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 7:53 AM
No we use write shop and love it
It is not super expensive either.
No_Difference
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 8:30 AM

We use write shop jr for writing as well, and are liking it.
The main thing I notice in the samples from the site you gave, it looks like it would be a complete grammar program too if I'm not mistaken.  With Write Shop, you get the grammar fold n go, which gives you a about 6 sheets I think of practice for the one part of gramamr (for instance, we've done this year: punctuation, all different kinds; editing, marks, self editing checklist, tips, and tools; nouns: basic nouns, common & proper nouns, collective nouns, plural nouns -s or -es, plural nouns change the letter, and plural nouns irregular; etc) and then you're supposed to apply what you've learned grammatically into your story.
There are games for the prewrite typically to get the imagination jump started per se, and after the pre write, there is the model and teach, where the parent/teacher and child sit down together and the parent actually writes the story while prompting the child to think about what it is they want for a story. Then they can look back at it and with, "Hey look what I just did, so maybe I can do it on my own!" mentality. There are graphic organizers that can be used to help organize thoughts (some we don't use because we find a waste of time and frivoulous, but my kids aren't into graphic organizers too much...)

I'm not 100% sure how different the write shop A-C are compared to write shop D (which is the start of Write Shop Jr) since we only started using it this year. I've heard good things about the others though, and if I'm not mistaken it goes up through high school level

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 11:00 AM

I haven't used writing programs that early but here's a bump!

JasonsMom2007
by Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 2:29 AM

I've tried a sample of write shop with him in the past and he wasn't thrilled with it.  Today I printed sample lessons from the one I posted and gave him one out of book 1.  He looked at me and said "you must be joking this is too easy" and refused to do it.  So I gave him a page out of book 2 and for some reason he had so much fun with it!  And I asked on facebook if anybody had ever used it since I know a lot of homeschoolers.  One of my friends has the story game she let me borrow!  I hope to play it with him on Friday :)  If he likes it I think I'll go for it.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 10:14 AM
How is his reading? Honestly I would concentrate more on his reading at this age. You can incorporate grammar games which usually work reall well for this age group. Maybe some free drawing and journal entries may work well. My sons loved mad libs at this age. Make it light and fun at this age.
jen2150
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 10:16 AM
Great to hear.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

I've tried a sample of write shop with him in the past and he wasn't thrilled with it.  Today I printed sample lessons from the one I posted and gave him one out of book 1.  He looked at me and said "you must be joking this is too easy" and refused to do it.  So I gave him a page out of book 2 and for some reason he had so much fun with it!  And I asked on facebook if anybody had ever used it since I know a lot of homeschoolers.  One of my friends has the story game she let me borrow!  I hope to play it with him on Friday :)  If he likes it I think I'll go for it.

JasonsMom2007
by Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 10:20 AM
He can read pretty much anything he can get his hands on. His reading comprehension book is a 5-6th grade one and is getting pretty easy for him.
We play grammar games but I've never had to teach him a lot of things like subject verb agreement he just knows them. I tried mad libs with him and he hated it.
I want it to be fun which is why I'm looking at a program that has games. But he doesn't need light. He loves learning and hates when he can't fully learn something because a book doesn't go deep enough.

Quoting jen2150: How is his reading? Honestly I would concentrate more on his reading at this age. You can incorporate grammar games which usually work reall well for this age group. Maybe some free drawing and journal entries may work well. My sons loved mad libs at this age. Make it light and fun at this age.
jen2150
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 7:49 PM
I just wanted to clarify that light doesn't mean you don't go into depth. I just meant fun and with no pressure. I also wasn't saying you were doing that either. My youngest loves mad lib but not my oldest did not. I hope you find what you are looking for.

Quoting JasonsMom2007: He can read pretty much anything he can get his hands on. His reading comprehension book is a 5-6th grade one and is getting pretty easy for him.
We play grammar games but I've never had to teach him a lot of things like subject verb agreement he just knows them. I tried mad libs with him and he hated it.
I want it to be fun which is why I'm looking at a program that has games. But he doesn't need light. He loves learning and hates when he can't fully learn something because a book doesn't go deep enough.

Quoting jen2150: How is his reading? Honestly I would concentrate more on his reading at this age. You can incorporate grammar games which usually work reall well for this age group. Maybe some free drawing and journal entries may work well. My sons loved mad libs at this age. Make it light and fun at this age.
JasonsMom2007
by Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 4:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Well we tried the game.  He loved it!  It was too much for him to write out his whole story so we worked together on it.  He wrote the outline and I wrote the story but I think for the future I'm going to make a basic outline where he just puts the cards in the right areas and does the story from that instead of writing the outline.  That way when my 3 year old wants to be involved we can just outline hers together too and she can just do her story outloud.

Looks like this is the one for us :)

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 1, 2014 at 1:01 PM
How wonderful! Sounds like you found something that fits.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Well we tried the game.  He loved it!  It was too much for him to write out his whole story so we worked together on it.  He wrote the outline and I wrote the story but I think for the future I'm going to make a basic outline where he just puts the cards in the right areas and does the story from that instead of writing the outline.  That way when my 3 year old wants to be involved we can just outline hers together too and she can just do her story outloud.

Looks like this is the one for us :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)