Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Considering homeschool

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 3:13 PM
  • 10 Replies

Both of my older children are currently in public school (2nd and 1st grades), and I'm considering pulling them out at the end of the year to do homeschooling. I'm concerned about the lack of creativity allowed and the nit picking on small, insignificant issues rather than school being focused on learning. I'm concerned, though, because I'm afraid that I won't have the patience for it, especially with my oldest daughter. She's very extroverted and needs a lot of interaction whereas I, and my son who is in 1st grade, are both very introverted and calm. My husband is on board with whatever I decide, I just don't know what to do. I considered it for my DS last year after an incident with him coloring things the "wrong" color. I get that for the teachers it's about following directions, but I don't want my kids to grow up simply following directions. I want them to learn and to see the world the way they want rather than the way their told, you know? 

by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 3:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 6:02 PM
1 mom liked this

The blind obedience taught in schools just gets worse as they get older, so if that is bothering you, you'd be better off homeschooling. As far as your personality differences with your dd, these are things you eventually learn how to work around.  Parents frequently think they wouldn't have the patience for it, but then you must ask yourself, "So how did I manage to raise them all day when they were little, before they started school?" It takes time to adjust, but honestly, I see homeschooling as an extension  of parenting, and those rough days where it seems nothing goes right happens no matter where they go to school, so you might as well stick it out and learn how to manage.

You have an enormous advantage in htat you know you don't want cookie-cutter, assembly line learning for your kids, they will pick up on that passion for knowledge from you and enjoy the learning process.

romacox
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 6:32 PM
1 mom liked this

It sounds like you have decided that it is in the best interest of your children to home school.  But you are concerned about your ability to be a home educator. 

1.  Home Educated children outperform public schooled children on college entrance exams, and in college

2.  Support groups which you can find through your State Home School Association, will provide you support, and your children social interaction with adults and children of all ages....

3.  Cognitive science research reveals that the desire to learn is as natural as breathing.  We can enhance their desire to learn by understanding their learning styles.  When you use whole brain teaching, it teaches to all the learning styles, improves the health of the brain, children love it,  they learn faster, and retain more. ...teaching made easy.  

4.  How To Home School 

coala
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 9:39 PM

To me it sounds like your biggest concer would be the "socialization" aspect of things.  I have one child who is EXTREMELY extroverted.  We have found that she enjoys skating so she has joined a speed skating team...they meet 3-4 times a week and she skates with friends on Saturday mornings.  My youngest isn't nearly as outgoing and would much rather play with one or two kids at a time and not a whole gaggle of them like her sister.  We have found that she likes to artistic skate and we do that for her twice a week and she gets to skate with her friends on Saturdays as well.  We have located a local HS group that sets up field trips and get togethers in areas of interest for their kids.  We are trying to get a board game meeting going, we have joined an all girls craft group that meets once a month as well as a group that meets at an indoor trampoline park.  If you know how to search for groups in your area you will find things that interest you and your children and be able to meet some amazing people.  We started with playgroups that met at local parks and it has grown....and so has the types of groups and people we hang out with.  I wish you luck, but this is totally doable!!!!

Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 10:16 PM
My daughter is extroverted and I'm not. She takes dance once a week all during school, we attend church, and I also schedule play dates. For now this is plenty for her. Since I'm an introvert, this and homeschooling takes a lot out of me. So I schedule time for me (usually when dad is in) so that I can recoup and handle it again.
I found an article, on Pinterest, written by a homeschool mom. It was on being an introvert in homeschooling and how it affects us. Helped me out a lot.
rockinmomto2
by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 3:50 PM

Thanks. :-) I actually had a REALLY hard time with her when she was little, but I was having my own issues at the time, so it's a bit better now. And I think you're right; I'm going to have to just bite the bullet and get used to it. I do enjoy having the time away from them, but their education is more important. I think it's just going to be a matter of coming up with a new routine. I appreciate the advice.

Quoting Leissaintexas:

The blind obedience taught in schools just gets worse as they get older, so if that is bothering you, you'd be better off homeschooling. As far as your personality differences with your dd, these are things you eventually learn how to work around.  Parents frequently think they wouldn't have the patience for it, but then you must ask yourself, "So how did I manage to raise them all day when they were little, before they started school?" It takes time to adjust, but honestly, I see homeschooling as an extension  of parenting, and those rough days where it seems nothing goes right happens no matter where they go to school, so you might as well stick it out and learn how to manage.

You have an enormous advantage in htat you know you don't want cookie-cutter, assembly line learning for your kids, they will pick up on that passion for knowledge from you and enjoy the learning process.

rockinmomto2
by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 3:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you! This was all really informative.

Quoting romacox:

It sounds like you have decided that it is in the best interest of your children to home school.  But you are concerned about your ability to be a home educator. 

1.  Home Educated children outperform public schooled children on college entrance exams, and in college

2.  Support groups which you can find through your State Home School Association, will provide you support, and your children social interaction with adults and children of all ages....

3.  Cognitive science research reveals that the desire to learn is as natural as breathing.  We can enhance their desire to learn by understanding their learning styles.  When you use whole brain teaching, it teaches to all the learning styles, improves the health of the brain, children love it,  they learn faster, and retain more. ...teaching made easy.  

4.  How To Home School 

youngartista
by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 6:00 PM

My oldest is in 1st grade, and i'm having the same issues with her in school.. She's also the... 'free spirit' and very active, but i'm not going to let that scare me out of homeschooling her next year!! Her first words when i wake her up are "do i have to go to school? why can't i start homeschool today?" :( It hurts that in Pre-k and K she was excited about school and loved it, but moving to another state that is so much further behindd than the previous, she dislikes so much!

Just go for it!! You know your kids better than anyone else and are FULLY CAPABLE!! :)

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 6:09 PM

This sounds a lot like us. DD is the same way. Always wanting to be on the go where as I'm a homebody. It's hard but I try to find balance.

Quoting Dawn07: My daughter is extroverted and I'm not. She takes dance once a week all during school, we attend church, and I also schedule play dates. For now this is plenty for her. Since I'm an introvert, this and homeschooling takes a lot out of me. So I schedule time for me (usually when dad is in) so that I can recoup and handle it again. I found an article, on Pinterest, written by a homeschool mom. It was on being an introvert in homeschooling and how it affects us. Helped me out a lot.

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

oahoah
by Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 2:49 PM

I am more of an introvert than my kids (3 boys ages 4, 6 and 9) but in our 3 years of homeschooling it has actually pushed me to be more outgoing for their sakes; I have joined groups and co-ops, we have a regular library day where they do a craft and we do some outings on our own but I know my limits and have been able to explain them to my kids, as they are getting older they are more understanding (I get sensory overload in loud, busy places or sometimes new places).

Patience-wise I am right there with you but like with a lot of stuff, you have to practice it repeatedly and understand there will be setbacks before you "get it".  I think it's great that your hubby is so supportive and you are thinking of your kids.

Following directions is important but so is creativity and independent thinking.  Good luck to you with your decision.

rockinmomto2
by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 4:44 PM

Thanks. :-) My biggest problem is that I don't know how to talk to people I just met. I'm SO awkward with it and just so bad at it that I know it's hindering the kids. These days, especially around here, the kids parents have to be friends before the kids can be friends, and I suck at it. :-\ DH is great about it though. We're going to have to revamp our living spaces because we won't have a dedicated room or even area for homeschooling, and he's totally on board. 

Quoting oahoah:

I am more of an introvert than my kids (3 boys ages 4, 6 and 9) but in our 3 years of homeschooling it has actually pushed me to be more outgoing for their sakes; I have joined groups and co-ops, we have a regular library day where they do a craft and we do some outings on our own but I know my limits and have been able to explain them to my kids, as they are getting older they are more understanding (I get sensory overload in loud, busy places or sometimes new places).

Patience-wise I am right there with you but like with a lot of stuff, you have to practice it repeatedly and understand there will be setbacks before you "get it".  I think it's great that your hubby is so supportive and you are thinking of your kids.

Following directions is important but so is creativity and independent thinking.  Good luck to you with your decision.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN