Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

My husband works remotely for a company headquartered near DC. They may want him to come out in April for a week and we'd like to go with him (the company pays for his hotel and everything, we'd just be on our own for food and he'd be busy each day with meetings, but the kids and I could go exploring).

What are your favorite (or favorite you'd LIKE TO) places to visit in DC? We went once, about two years ago - but we had literally less than 1 day to spend there. So we parked at and toured Arlington, then took the train over to the city and saw the Natural History Museum, the Washington Monument, and the Lincoln Memorial. And we were very rushed through all of that.

We have friends nearby who can show us around, too, so that will help. 

by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 5:38 PM
Replies (11-13):
rockinmomto2
by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 4:19 PM

I live about an hour south of D.C. and it's a pretty cool place, especially in April. You'll be able to see the Cherry Blossoms! They're just stunning. Um, other than what you've already seen, there's not a whole lot. I do love Old Town Alexandria, the water is beautiful there. If you want to take a drive (or the train) down to Fredericksburg (where I live), there are tons of Civil War battlefields down here, tours in Downtown Fredericksburg, and some of the best ice cream on the planet at Carls Ice Cream. Oh, there's the Air and Space Museum and a bunch of Smithsonian museums. If you want to pay for a museum, the Spy Museum is pretty cool, but kinda expensive. Oh!! The National Gallery of Art and it's Sculpture Garden are my favorites. And, of course, there's the White House and the Reflection Pool (which is finally done with renovations).

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 5:58 PM

I've never been but take lots of pics!

TidewaterClan
by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 9:47 PM

We went January of 2013, and thoroughly enjoyed it.  We went to all of the Smithsonian Museums.  The American History was our favorite, especially because we actually saw the true "Star Spangled Banner."  The Natural History Museum and the rest are wonderful.

A true hidden gem is the US Botanical Garden.  It's a huge glass building right near the Capitol and is free to visit.  There's a jungle of plants inside, along with a running creek, and we all fell in love with it.  Here's the location on a map

We also visited the Capitol and saw the steps the British ran up before they set fire to the building.  It wasn't hard to get a tour time to see the Capitol.  You can do that here.  It looks like the Rotunda will be unavailable while you are there, but they have an alternate tour.  There's a cafeteria in the bottom of the Capitol, and that was honestly the best meal we had there.  :)

We saw the White House too, but you need to reserve that a minimum 21 days in advance.  Check that out here.  We loved that too.     

There was an area at the Lincoln Memorial where you could pick up a Junior Ranger pamphlet and find cool things there and (I think) around DC.  That was our last stop before we drove home, so we didn't have time but it looked really fun.  

The National Gallery of Art had some wonderful artwork, but one of the guards got extremely hostile with me over my small backpack shaped purse.  I went into the other building instead and the fellow said just hold it by my side.  I guess they don't want people turning and knocking things over, but I didn't want to leave it at the coat check and was happy to just carry it.  I looked at other reviews of the Gallery, and a lot of people had issues with the guards being downright mean.  Go into the building that's closer to the Capitol for the nicer guards.  :) 

We walked over to the Bureau of Engraving and Printing (which was quite a hike from our hotel!) but didn't realize they close for the lunch hour.  I saw it when I was a teenager and it was so neat to see all that money rolling along!  We hiked over to the Jefferson Monument since it was right behind there but it would have been good to see.

There's an app that shows the subway routes.  I tried finding the bus routes because they were always running but I think they must keep those away from the tourists if possible!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)