Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Home Schooling My Autistic DS? ?

Mobile Photo

My DS is in pre-k public school right now but I want to start home schooling him starting next year due to absences and other issues with school. I live in San Antonio Texas and have already checked out the state laws. If I'm letting him finish out the school year and he's just not going back next year do I need to do any withdrawal paperwork? Any moms home schooling an autistic child have advice or information? How do I make sure to cover all the basics I am required to do? How is testing done to make sure your on track? Any other information is welcome TIA
by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 3:26 AM
Replies (11-20):
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 5:46 PM
1 mom liked this

That sounds about right.

Quoting sweet_ashes2209: Awesome thanks so much! I will hand in the letter at the end of the school year. So I don't have to make sure he knows things (like count to 100 by the end of kindergarten) by the end of the school year? Just go over all the subjects and progress at his pace?
Quoting usmom3:

Hi & welcome to the group! I am in Texas so I have an understanding of the laws! You can & should work at his pace, if that is much slower then the public schools that is perfectly fine! Because there is no testing or reporting required in our state I always encourage homeschoolers here to find creative ways to learn what their children know & what they need to work on rather then giving them conventional tests!

I have 2 sons that are Autistic one is 20y/o he still lives at home because he has major social anxiety & a heart condition he was born with that requires medication. My other son is 8y/o, we work on things at his own pace! So somethings he is behind & others far advanced!

Because your son was attending the public school you should give them a letter of intent ether at the end of this year or at the beginning of next! If you had never sent him you would never have to contact them to let them know you are homeschooling!

This http://www.thsc.org/ is the Texas Homeschool Coalition website. You can print out a generic letter of intent to use to give to the school(I used it for my oldest when I pulled him out of public school at the age of 12). They also have links for all the homeschool support groups & co-ops in Texas.

I hope this helps & good luck!

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 5:46 PM

Adorable ds btw!

sweet_ashes2209
by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 7:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you his smile truly lights up my world ^_^

Quoting paganbaby:

Adorable ds btw!

usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 27, 2014 at 7:30 PM

If you want to set goals for him on your own that is up to you but no there is no requirements telling you what he needs to know written into the laws. So yes, going over what he has learned & offering new matterials as he masters the old at his pace is absolutely OK to do!

Quoting sweet_ashes2209: Awesome thanks so much! I will hand in the letter at the end of the school year. So I don't have to make sure he knows things (like count to 100 by the end of kindergarten) by the end of the school year? Just go over all the subjects and progress at his pace?
Quoting usmom3:

Hi & welcome to the group! I am in Texas so I have an understanding of the laws! You can & should work at his pace, if that is much slower then the public schools that is perfectly fine! Because there is no testing or reporting required in our state I always encourage homeschoolers here to find creative ways to learn what their children know & what they need to work on rather then giving them conventional tests!

I have 2 sons that are Autistic one is 20y/o he still lives at home because he has major social anxiety & a heart condition he was born with that requires medication. My other son is 8y/o, we work on things at his own pace! So somethings he is behind & others far advanced!

Because your son was attending the public school you should give them a letter of intent ether at the end of this year or at the beginning of next! If you had never sent him you would never have to contact them to let them know you are homeschooling!

This http://www.thsc.org/ is the Texas Homeschool Coalition website. You can print out a generic letter of intent to use to give to the school(I used it for my oldest when I pulled him out of public school at the age of 12). They also have links for all the homeschool support groups & co-ops in Texas.

sweet_ashes2209
by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 8:06 PM
That's so great and he is going to love all the one on one time with me. I have also recruited his aunt to come once a week to help/give me a break so I don't get worn out.

Quoting usmom3:

If you want to set goals for him on your own that is up to you but no there is no requirements telling you what he needs to know written into the laws. So yes, going over what he has learned & offering new matterials as he masters the old at his pace is absolutely OK to do!

Quoting usmom3:

usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 27, 2014 at 8:10 PM

That is so wonderful that his Aunt is going to help so you can get a break too! So many of us Mom's with special needs children don't get the breaks we need to help us be the great Mom's we want to be!

Quoting sweet_ashes2209: That's so great and he is going to love all the one on one time with me. I have also recruited his aunt to come once a week to help/give me a break so I don't get worn out.
Quoting usmom3:

Quoting usmom3:

sweet_ashes2209
by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 8:50 PM
It really is and my DS is so attached to her. It is hard to find people who understand and are patient enough to help :( I'm hoping my patients won't fail me as I take on educating my DS this next year. Thanks again for the information ^_^

Quoting usmom3:

That is so wonderful that his Aunt is going to help so you can get a break too! So many of us Mom's with special needs children don't get the breaks we need to help us be the great Mom's we want to be!

Quoting sweet_ashes2209: That's so great and he is going to love all the one on one time with me. I have also recruited his aunt to come once a week to help/give me a break so I don't get worn out.
Quoting usmom3:

Quoting usmom3:

usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 27, 2014 at 9:00 PM

You will do great! Just don't set yourself up for disappointment by having expectations of everyday being wonderful! I know you know that having a child on the Autism Spectrum is hard, that is not going to change with homeschooling. He will still have melt downs & comunication problems but you being his Mom will help tremedously because you know him best of all. You will learn what will trigger things & how to avoid them as time goes on!

Quoting sweet_ashes2209: It really is and my DS is so attached to her. It is hard to find people who understand and are patient enough to help :( I'm hoping my patients won't fail me as I take on educating my DS this next year. Thanks again for the information ^_^
Quoting usmom3:

Quoting usmom3:

Quoting usmom3:

sweet_ashes2209
by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 10:04 PM
lol oh no I never expect any day to go wonderfully that way if it does I get a nice surprise. I will definitely take it slow and like anything with my DS be vary flexible to the situation. If you don't mind me asking were in Texas do you live?

Quoting usmom3:

You will do great! Just don't set yourself up for disappointment by having expectations of everyday being wonderful! I know you know that having a child on the Autism Spectrum is hard, that is not going to change with homeschooling. He will still have melt downs & comunication problems but you being his Mom will help tremedously because you know him best of all. You will learn what will trigger things & how to avoid them as time goes on!

Quoting sweet_ashes2209: It really is and my DS is so attached to her. It is hard to find people who understand and are patient enough to help :( I'm hoping my patients won't fail me as I take on educating my DS this next year. Thanks again for the information ^_^
Quoting usmom3:

Quoting usmom3:

Quoting usmom3:

usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 27, 2014 at 11:17 PM

Then you will definitely do great! I live in the Lubbock aria now but I have lived in the Dallas aria, the Houston aria & in the East Texas aria between Lufkin & Nacogdoches. What part are you in?

Quoting sweet_ashes2209: lol oh no I never expect any day to go wonderfully that way if it does I get a nice surprise. I will definitely take it slow and like anything with my DS be vary flexible to the situation. If you don't mind me asking were in Texas do you live?
Quoting usmom3:

Quoting usmom3:

Quoting usmom3:

Quoting usmom3:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN