Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Homeschooling your high schooler

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 3:05 PM
  • 11 Replies
What are you gals doing, as far as homeschooling your high schooler? Are you having them take on line classes?
by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 3:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 3:28 PM

I'm still a year or so away from high school, but I plan on continuing the method we've always used. Notgrass for history, probably Apologia or BJU for science, eclectic mix of text and Khan academy for math, and lit guides for lang arts. For electives, I'm looking into various methods, co-ops, apprenticeships, 4H, local community offerings, etc. I'm not a fan of online programs.

romacox
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 5:33 PM

We are doing Dual Enrollment. 

somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 5:37 PM
I hope to use abeka book. So far I've kinda thrown her curriculum together, but for high school I want to make sure she's taking classes that will count.
Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 7:31 PM

We are two years from high school, I plan on doing a mix of books and online until she is able to dual enroll.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 7:46 PM

Good question. DD wants to go to public high school next year but she stays home *fingers crossed* I'll probably keep everything pretty much the same, just beef up the science a bit.

eventtalk
by on Mar. 1, 2014 at 10:51 AM
2 moms liked this
We just went to a great presentation for homeschoolers from the admissions director at a local private college. She says what ever method you choose to get there, the admission committee likes to see what they call 4 fours plus two. Ie, during their four years of 'high school', they have four units each of English, sciences, math, social science and at least 2 units of foreign language.

As to deciding if they did a unit (aka credit), some rules if thumb are completing at least 75% of a high school level text book, 120-180 hours in a subject, or 1 semester of a college level course.
TidewaterClan
by on Mar. 1, 2014 at 2:26 PM
I've got a few years but plan on doing dual college (for science & writing at least) & home learning.
TidewaterClan
by on Mar. 1, 2014 at 2:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Thanks for posting this! I'll write that down on my "keep in mind" list.

Quoting eventtalk: We just went to a great presentation for homeschoolers from the admissions director at a local private college. She says what ever method you choose to get there, the admission committee likes to see what they call 4 fours plus two. Ie, during their four years of 'high school', they have four units each of English, sciences, math, social science and at least 2 units of foreign language.

As to deciding if they did a unit (aka credit), some rules if thumb are completing at least 75% of a high school level text book, 120-180 hours in a subject, or 1 semester of a college level course.
DJLadyK
by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 11:43 AM

yes, she joined VLACS (an online free charter school here in NH) for her 4 main classes she needs for credits, and she already has half a year under her belt from hs., but hs just was something she didnt felt fit her.

I am also supplementing other things like cooking,sewing, walking for PE, and she is doing guitar lessons, ASL lessons, the book club and writing club. I am also going to tech her to drive in the spring, and I think they even have it in her online school too.  Also going to teach her to budget, do a checkbook, write a check etc...plus she reads like one book a week already too,.

SusanTheWriter
by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 11:58 AM

DD used Thinkwell Trig which is online. It totally didn't work for us, so we had to switch to LOF. Her other "outsourced" classes have been the sciences. She took Chem with a class of other homeschoolers, so they did full labs. And this year she's taking Astronomy as a college class.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN