Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Ok i use to live in Lake co il and there were tons of Homeschooling co-ops. we moved to WV in Nov and i would like to start looking for one here now for next school year. i knew lots of moms that home-schooled in il and that is how i knew of so many co-ops, but i dont know any homeschooling moms here so i was wondering how do i find co-ops in my area?

by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 4:15 PM
Replies (11-14):
rmgriffberg
by Member on Mar. 2, 2014 at 10:11 PM
We are in Hancock co.

Quoting No_Difference:

I honestly have given up. I have a bunch of homeschool families we've befriended though. Last year I discovered the majority of our summer swim team was homeschooled. Then we started 4H this year after becoming better friends with a homeschool family, and it is entirely 4H kids. On opposite Fridays of 4H, we do a current events co-op, which is basically the same kids from co-op or close family friends who homeschool. My neighbor who goes to the Jefferson County co-op, she wasn't impressed with the classes she had at least her oldest taking. She felt as if they weren't learning enough, and the snow days didn't help. They spent quite a bit on the co-op too. Next year she said she was just doing the extras with them. A friend from swim team and 4H did it last year, but chose not to do it again for I think similar reasons if I remember correctly. I've heard a few other similar stories so I just stayed away :/ I know a few other homeschool families travel to MD for co-ops. I don't know how often they go though or where in MD they go. I don't want to travel that far all the time lol. Just out of curiousity what county are you in?

Quoting rmgriffberg: That is where I am and this makes me sad.
Quoting No_Difference:

If you're in the panhandle, they're few and far between... (thats where I am) Many times, they start out strong, and then by the end of the year have fizzled out. I know there are a few that are online and supposidly meet up, but we gave up at this point.  There is one in Jefferson County that is supposidly decent, and I know a few  people who have gone, or who will continue to, but they go for more of the extras than the actual classes since they were less than impressed with those.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 8:05 AM

I'm not sure if the co-ops are any different in the Northern panhandle. I'm in the Eastern panhandle (Berkeley Co). If anything, you may be able to state hop and see if there are any good co-ops in Pennsylavania and Ohio that are reasonably nearby.

Quoting rmgriffberg: We are in Hancock co.
Quoting No_Difference:

I honestly have given up. I have a bunch of homeschool families we've befriended though. Last year I discovered the majority of our summer swim team was homeschooled. Then we started 4H this year after becoming better friends with a homeschool family, and it is entirely 4H kids. On opposite Fridays of 4H, we do a current events co-op, which is basically the same kids from co-op or close family friends who homeschool. My neighbor who goes to the Jefferson County co-op, she wasn't impressed with the classes she had at least her oldest taking. She felt as if they weren't learning enough, and the snow days didn't help. They spent quite a bit on the co-op too. Next year she said she was just doing the extras with them. A friend from swim team and 4H did it last year, but chose not to do it again for I think similar reasons if I remember correctly. I've heard a few other similar stories so I just stayed away :/ I know a few other homeschool families travel to MD for co-ops. I don't know how often they go though or where in MD they go. I don't want to travel that far all the time lol. Just out of curiousity what county are you in?

Quoting No_Difference:

If you're in the panhandle, they're few and far between... (thats where I am) Many times, they start out strong, and then by the end of the year have fizzled out. I know there are a few that are online and supposidly meet up, but we gave up at this point.  There is one in Jefferson County that is supposidly decent, and I know a few  people who have gone, or who will continue to, but they go for more of the extras than the actual classes since they were less than impressed with those.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 8:15 AM
It's hard finding the right homeschool mix.
rmgriffberg
by Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 9:22 AM

thats what i was thinking

Quoting No_Difference:

I'm not sure if the co-ops are any different in the Northern panhandle. I'm in the Eastern panhandle (Berkeley Co). If anything, you may be able to state hop and see if there are any good co-ops in Pennsylavania and Ohio that are reasonably nearby.

Quoting rmgriffberg: We are in Hancock co.
Quoting No_Difference:

Quoting No_Difference:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN