Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Thinking of homeschooling again! (PIOG)

Posted by   + Show Post

Hi, I have an only child, a 12 year old son who after being bullied in 4th grade, we decided to home-school for most of his 5th grade year and  all of 6th grade.  He wanted to go back to PS this year so we moved to a town that had better schools, and where he could be with his cousin.  He is now in 7th grade and the first half of the year he did fairly well, not all "A's and "B's" but not flunking out either.  Now that the second semester has started he is flunking science, social studies, Language Arts, and math.  

He asked me this evening if maybe next year we could go back to homeschooling, although he says he wants to do 8th grade so he can take photography again. He has/had high functioning autism, (depending on who you ask), and ADHD, is easily distracted, or can easily be engrossed in something if he thinks it's interesting.  He doesn't always understand what something is asking, has trouble with the wording of questions and is a very literal thinker, and seems to be more of a kinesthetic learner.   

My question would be, what recommendations for a curriculum would you make, he hates to read, (according to his social studies teacher he is reading anywhere from a 3rd-5th grade reading level), loves math and science but has a really weird way of doing math.  He also hates to write, and anything that looks like language arts he runs the opposite way!  So while I am seriously considering homeschooling again not sure if it would be for 8th grade or 9th grade, I am trying to get some ideas now, so I have time to check them out and save up the money for it. 

In the past we tired doing our own thing, and I fell into the trap of he's not doing enough and trying to re-produce PS at home, (part of that was also my mom always making comments), we tried K12, connections academy, CLE, Time 4 Learning, Teaching Textbooks and saxon for math, along with some other curriculum's none of which either one of us really liked a lot. 

I just dont' know for sure where to start this time, I will point out however, that I really don't want a curriculum that is lined with the common core that most states have adopted this year, that really sucks!  Also it can be Christian or not I am good with either, and I am thinking along the lines of a mix of workbooks and videos and science with lots of expierments.  Sorry this is long and thank you for reading this if you made it this far.  I just want to make it work this time if we do decide to do it. 

by on Mar. 1, 2014 at 8:54 PM
Replies (11-15):
usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 3, 2014 at 4:44 PM

Quoting noraa21:

Quoting usmom3:

Quoting noraa21:

Quoting usmom3:

Find out how he learns best & find a program or curriculum that leans toward that learning style!

Hands on and visual, (watching movies, videos, etc) if he can see it or touch it he can ppretty much figure out how to do it.  Right now I am looking at math u see or systematic math, other than that I have no clue what else to look for, still searching. 

I haven't figured out how to have him see or touch reading and writing yet!

Use closed captioning on the tv that will give him the opportunity to see & hear the words at the same time! As far as writing dose he like to draw? If you encourage him to make comics where he can draw & write the dialogue might be a good compromise.

OMG, yes he loves to draw, next to building with Lego's that's his favorite thing to do and he is really good at it when he wants to be!  I never thought of something like that.  This is why I love these groups, something that might be so simple is so hard for me to come up with and then some one else says it and you are like  gee what a brilliant idea! 

Something else you could do is have him take pictures of his creations & write stories or descriptions of them & he could make a book with them as a keep sake of his creativity.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 6:59 PM
We think my daughter might be high functioning autism. She is highly mathmatic, reads well... but writing or producing any work on her own has been a challenge. Severe whinies, crying, etc... doesn't focus at all...

Anyway, we found success with Rod & Staff english (surprisingly enough) Because it has tiny doses of review every day (orally) a short lesson that includes a lot of diagramming (analytical approach). It has oral class practice and then a reasonable amount of work that we can lighten when needed.

We also hit on MathUSee this year and it has been a dream. Amazing. I haven't had to help them once. Just make sure they watch the video, do a little work in the workbooks and then oversee tests. It seems to benefit them to grade their own work.

As for the other subjects, we like apologia for science and are ecclectic with social studies. This year, we are using rod n staff 5th grade american history as a guide and adding in extras like documentaries, projects, books and movies.
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 7:12 PM

I swear you just described my 9 year old son!

Quoting noraa21:

He has/had high functioning autism, (depending on who you ask), and ADHD, is easily distracted, or can easily be engrossed in something if he thinks it's interesting.  He doesn't always understand what something is asking, has trouble with the wording of questions and is a very literal thinker, and seems to be more of a kinesthetic learner.   

he hates to read, (loves math and science but has a really weird way of doing math.  He also hates to write, and anything that looks like language arts he runs the opposite way!  

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 7:18 PM

Quoting noraa21:

Quoting usmom3:

Quoting noraa21:

Quoting usmom3:

Find out how he learns best & find a program or curriculum that leans toward that learning style!

Hands on and visual, (watching movies, videos, etc) if he can see it or touch it he can ppretty much figure out how to do it.  Right now I am looking at math u see or systematic math, other than that I have no clue what else to look for, still searching. 

I haven't figured out how to have him see or touch reading and writing yet!

Use closed captioning on the tv that will give him the opportunity to see & hear the words at the same time! As far as writing dose he like to draw? If you encourage him to make comics where he can draw & write the dialogue might be a good compromise.

OMG, yes he loves to draw, next to building with Lego's that's his favorite thing to do and he is really good at it when he wants to be!  I never thought of something like that.  This is why I love these groups, something that might be so simple is so hard for me to come up with and then some one else says it and you are like  gee what a brilliant idea! 

Comic booking is the only way I can get mine to write,lol.

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

Precious333
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 7:36 PM
I use to teach photography to homeschoolers jn his age group, too bad he doesnt live closer to me! Lol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)